Welcome to PatsFans.com

Five Roster Battles

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +688 / 53 / -21

LEWIS or Deaderick
    Deaderick would likely make the Practice Squad and allow us to keep both backups. Niether would get many reps without two injuries.

OJINNAKA or Bussey
    Ojinnaka doesn't count toward the roster unitl after Game One, so this decision can wait. I don't think Belichick will wait. He may even cut to 51 or 52 players as he has in the past to make it easier to acquire players.

WENDELL or Larsen
    I see no reason to have Larsen on the roster. He is Practice Squad material.

KACZUR or Ohrnberger or Chiaciuc
    This spot is Kaczur's unless he is put on IR.

WHEATLEY or Green-Ellis or Slater or Lockett
    I think Arrington and Aiken have the two special-teams only roster spots. I also think Woods has a special teams spot (and backup OLB). So, this is PLAYER 53. Any these players could be added later when injuries occur. Curiously, I have Wheatley on the 53, but his injury could allow Green-Ellis to make the 53 (the choice of Reiss and others).

2. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +836 / 1 / -3

Prior to the start of camp I saw Koppen as the starting center in 2011, and someone who would be picked up by another team if he was cut with the intention of adding him to the practice squad. At this point I'm thinking if he does eventually replace Koppen it won't be till 2012, and that it is doubtful another team would sign him if he doesn't make the roster this year.

Also, what is the rule regarding salaries and players being on the roster week one versus week two and beyond? I recall something about a player's salary being guaranteed for the whole season if he is on the week one roster, but does that only apply to vets? I wonder if the Pats would keep Larsen (or another player) on the week one roster with the intention of getting him to the practice squad in week two when Ojinnaka can start playing. At that point other teams already have their practice squads in place and would probably be less likely to pick up a player cut by another team.

3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +688 / 53 / -21

1) a veteran of four or five (?) years is guaranteed his salary if he is on the roster for Game 1. Therefore, teams will often sign jags after Game 1. This is isn't as critical as it sounds since most players signed are vet minimum in any case.

2) Other teams do not stop working after Game 1. If Larsen were valuable enough to add to their roster before Game 1, then he would be added after Game 1. With regard to the Practice Squad, that decision is up to Larsen. He is free to accept any offer. I would note that the patriots occasionally offer an offensive lineman full roster pay whiole matriculating at Dante's Academy for Developing Linemen. Yates and Wendell are recent examples. So, I would think it likely that Larsen would choose to play on the [patriot's Practice Squad.

3) The patriots sometimes to cut below 53 in the initial cut to make it easier to sign players from other teams and to potentially have a spot for one of our own rookies after Game 2. This year Ojinnaka gives us an extra spot for a week.

QUOTE=jmt57;2019803]Prior to the start of camp I saw Koppen as the starting center in 2011, and someone who would be picked up by another team if he was cut with the intention of adding him to the practice squad. At this point I'm thinking if he does eventually replace Koppen it won't be till 2012, and that it is doubtful another team would sign him if he doesn't make the roster this year.

Also, what is the rule regarding salaries and players being on the roster week one versus week two and beyond? I recall something about a player's salary being guaranteed for the whole season if he is on the week one roster, but does that only apply to vets? I wonder if the Pats would keep Larsen (or another player) on the week one roster with the intention of getting him to the practice squad in week two when Ojinnaka can start playing. At that point other teams already have their practice squads in place and would probably be less likely to pick up a player cut by another team.[/QUOTE]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.