Five Reasons why the Patriots beat the New York Jets next Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
1. Superior Quarterback play.
2010 Tom Brady - 36 TDs 4 INTs 111 Passer rating, #1 in the NFL
Mark Sanchez - 17s TD 13 INTs 75.3 Passer rating, good for #27 in the NFL.

To put the QB ratings in perspective, only 4 QBs in the entire NFL had a worse passer rating: Fossilized Brett Favre, Derek Anderson, Matt Hasselbeck, and Jimmy Clausen.
Now look at the TD-INT ratio. Tom Brady throws an astounding 9 TDs per INT he gives up. Sanchez meanwhile throws nearly as many INTs as TDs. Overall he has produced less than half the TD passes as well. One has to wonder if Sanchez' playbook has been 'dumbed down' or whether he's just not very good at producing scoring opportunities with his arm. It could be a combination of both.

Tom Brady is the best QB in the league this year. Mark Sanchez is not even an average QB. Just compare their play over the course of this season and it becomes evident who is the better QB. Brady orchestrates his offense to multiple scores each game. He has mastered the Pats offensive system. Sanchez barely manages not to kill his team with his mediocre play. In fact he got so bad at one point that Rex Ryan admitted that he considered benching him. Sanchez is prone to struggling when the going gets tough.

The Sanchez led Jets backed into the playoffs losing 3 out of the last 5 regular season games. He barely led the Jets to a 1 pt victory over the Colts with a QB ating of 62.4. Giving up as many INTs in that game as TD passes. 1 to 1. Not exactly a confidence inspiring outing. The Jets won in spite of Sanchez. Factor in Brady's experience factor, Sanchez shaky play and tendency to lose confidence and we have a game that can quickly go downhill if Sanchez makes just a few negative plays to start the game.

2. Winning the Turnover battle.
2010 Pats defense +28 TOs
Jets defense +9 TOs

We hear a lot about Revis and Cromartie but would you believe that the Jets secondary is medicore at producing turnovers?
The 2010 NY Jets only forced 12 INTs on defense. Tied for #25 overall.
On the other hand the Pats secondary forced 25 INTs. #1 in the NFL.

Winning the turnover battle is crucial and highly correlates with victory. It's no coincidence that the Pats gave up the fewest turnovers in the league over the final 8 games and didn't lose a single one of them.

3. Highest scoring offense in the NFL.
2010 Pats 32.4 ppg #1
Jets offense 22.9 ppg #13

It's no secret that the Pats possess the most potent offense in the NFL. Strong offenses can win Superbowls, especially with today's rules that favor passing, protect the QB, and protect WRs. We witnessed last year that a strong offense plus a good enough defense that can force turnovers can win a championship. If the game turns into a shootout, I'll take my chances with our offense versus the Jets offense. They just cannot keep up in that type of game. Nor are they a quick strike offense that is good from coming from behind. The Pats are always in any ballgame with their offense.

4. Homefield Advantage and Special Teams
Tom Brady hasn't lost at home for 26 straight games and the Patriots are 8-0 this season at home. The 12th man will be bringing the noise next Sunday. The Gilette crowd can get loud when they want to and have greatly improved in this area.

On special teams, Tate and Edelman have scored 3 special teams touchdowns for the Pats. The Jets on the other hand have 0 return touchdowns on the season. The special teams can be an X factor advantage for the Pats.

5. Coaching and Team Unity
And last but not least the difference in coaching. Bill Belichick has won 3 Superbowls with the Pats and 2 more with the Giants. Not only does he have the experience but he is incredibly good at creating gameplans and schemes that take away what an opponent does best. Perhaps just as importantly the team buys into what he's selling. Everyone shares the same team attitude and is focused on one goal, winning the Superbowl. Factor in that the Pats staff has an extra week to prepare and its players an extra week to get healthy and the advantage is clear.

Rex Ryan on the other hand is a blowhard and a media harlot. The press loves quoting him because he often inserts foot into mouth, figuratively as well as literally. His team meanwhile is comprised of individualists who love touting themselves and talking trash. Lady Tomlinson is just one example of this.

This Jets team also was visibly shaken and lost their 'swagger' after the Pats crushed them 45-3. Ryan decided to have lunch with the sulky Sanchez to smooth things over. But his team still lost consequently to the Dolphins managing only 6 points of total offense. As far as mental toughness goes, the Jets clearly don't have as much as the Patriots.

The Jets talk loudly but they don't always back up their brash words with their play on the field. Like the neighborhood bully, once you knock them off their perch they don't recover easily. Meanwhile they give up a ton of bulletin board material for their opponents to use. Bravado is one thing but it can and will be turned against you.

When you examine all the various factors coming into this game, you come away with one conclusion. The Jets should be the ones worrying about the Pats. They better hope they didn't shoot their load against the Colts. Because the Pats are an even better team than the shorthanded one in Indy that the Jets barely beat. Now let loose the dogs of war! The Patriots will show no mercy to their division foe come Sunday.

Last edited:
1. Better offense
2. Better defense
3. Better coached
4. At home
5. Off a Bye Week

The only way the Jets win this game is if the Patriots somehow have a total meltdown on both sides of the ball with multiple turnovers.

Last edited:
I cant wait to hear Rexs and Lady Tomlinsons post game presser lol, LT will never beat the Pats in the playoffs n I love it.

Tom Brady hasn't lost at home for 26 straight games and the Patriots are 8-0 this season at home. The 12th man will be bringing the noise next Sunday. The Gilette crowd can get loud when they want to and have greatly improved in this area.

On special teams, Tate and Edelman have scored 3 special teams touchdowns for the Pats. The Jets on the other hand have 0 return touchdowns on the season. The special teams can be an X factor advantage for the Pats.

Brad Smith's stats show two TD returns. I think he's pretty good on special teams and cromartie can be a threat too.

I agree with the rest of your points. I don't see a close game, but losing would be really painful. I think that's what has everyone's panties in a bunch.

The only way the Jets win this game is if the Patriots somehow have a total meltdown on both sides of the ball with multiple turnovers.

I agree. Jets are simply not on the same level as the Patriots. It would take a serious breakdown for us to lose this game.

I'll take Brady over the competition.

Last edited:
1. Tom Brady
2. Bill Belichick
3. The rest of the players
4. The home crowd
5. A week of rest

I feel like we could get to 100 at this rate :lol2:

I think there will be close to 100 articles describing 'Five Keys to Beat the Patriots'.

The list will always look like this

1. Score more points than them
2. Make them score less points then you
3. Make Brady uncomfortable
4. Play good defense
5. Play good offense

LoL

Tom Brady hasn't lost at home for 26 straight regular season games and the Patriots are 8-0 this season at home. The 12th man will be bringing the noise next Sunday. The Gilette crowd can get loud when they want to and have greatly improved in this area.

Fixed: I think you forgot about the Patriots' last home playoff game.

Last edited:
1. Better offense
2. Better defense
3. Better coached
4. At home
5. Off a Bye Week

Correct on all except #2. A fair read of the statistics say they have the better D. However, I would also add that we probably have better STs (but that is arguable). In general many of the variables are in our favor (even the most adamant Jet fan probably knows the Patriots have more variables in their favor). But I disagree about the meltdown and TO part being the only way to lose. The Patriots have shown in every game over the past 2 months against many of the NFL's best teams: if TB is given time and touches, the Patriots score A LOT of points early and often and ultimately win handily. So the most important variable questions are:
1) Their pass rush vs our OL?
2) Their run game vs our front 7?
If one is confident the advantage is to the Patriots on those two items, one should be very confident of a Patriot victory. I think we could have a TO or two and still win semi comfortably provided both those variables remain in our favor most of the game.

I don't see a close game, but losing would be really painful. I think that's what has everyone's panties in a bunch.

This post pretty much nails it.

We'd honestly need a Cleveland or Week 2 Jets esque meltdown to lose this game, although It's possible I think the probability is fairly low.

We'd honestly need a Cleveland or Week 2 Jets esque meltdown to lose this game, although It's possible I think the probability is fairly low.

A week 2 style loss is IMPOSSIBLE with this team. We are completely different and the very specific ways we lost in week 2 are no longer physically possible.

Now, that doesn't mean we couldn't still meltdown. It would just have to be in a different way and it would be FAR less likely.

Last edited:
Sanchez and Hasselbeck have already both won playoff games this year. One was actually good while winning his. So I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Sanchez playing well.

I agree with the original post except for the conclusion that doesn't value the Jets' resilience. Very impressive game winning comeback Saturday night - these guys don't stop fighting. It's important to get up a couple of scores and keep the pressure on. The Jets scare me in a close one.

regardless of what any one says, this IS the pats game to loose. the only things that could cause a jets win is the pats being either over confident, or not prepared.

Correct on all except #2. A fair read of the statistics say they have the better D.

Turnovers
Patriots: 36 (1st)
Jets: 24 (16th)

Interceptions
Patriots: 25 (1st)
Jets: 8 (25th)

Regular Season PPG
Patriots: 19.6 (8th)
Jets: 19.0 (6th)

December PPG
Patriots: 9.4
Jets: 23.4

Overall season PPG are just about equal while the Patriots dominate the Jets in creating turnovers and recent play.

Also, not even getting into yards stats. If you judge a unit by yards and not points, the Patriots aren't even a top 5 offense.

1. Tom Brady
2. Bill Belichick
3. Pat's Home Crowd
4. Weather conditions
5. Their playin Jets

Pats 38
Jets 10 ( Late garbage TD)

5. Coaching and Team Unity
And last but not least the difference in coaching.

"Right now I'm just going to focus on the Colts," he said in his post-game press conference. "I think we've earned about 12 hours of enjoying this victory. This is a great football team. We beat them at their place, beat Peyton Manning at their place. I don't know if that's been done a whole heck of a lot. I know it hasn't been done by a team that I've been on, so I'm just going to focus on the Colts right now."

There is not a chance that Bill would ever say this (or even actually think about a game that was already won).

C'mon, man! You can't give Belichick a 12 hour head start!

Whoever plays better next Sunday will win

The Pats have a huge edge at HC and QB but turnovers in the regular season are irrelevant now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes