PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Five picks, in whatever order

Status
Not open for further replies.
And for those who want a RB in the first two rounds, I implore you to look at James Starks. Was a top RB heading into the draft until he got injured. I honestly think he could be had in round 4. He's a solid runner and in alot of ways reminds me of Kevin Faulk (successor perhaps?). Good value player. And for what it's worth, we already drafted a RB in the first two rounds a few years ago and look where that got us. 'Nuff said.

And who do you expect to develop to replace Moss in 2011: Edelman, Tate or Stanback?

Why would we have to 'replace' Moss? We did just fine without a traditional "stud" Wr before him.

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to predict a need based draft (BB just doesnt do that) especially when you base your needs on what the consensus of this board thinks they are.
I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted:
CB,S,OLB,ILB,DE,OT,OG,C,WR,RB,QB,TE with those 5 picks. DT seems to be the only one we would pass on.

I think there is a severe divide between the way this organizaiton views building a team and the way fans do.
Fans want name players, stars, players that everyone think is a steal, and ignore the way the champions here have been assembled.
Depth, versatility and adequacy mean a lot more.
If every player we put on the field is at least adequate, we will win SBs more often than not. We haven't been as successful over the last 5 years as we were the previous 5 years, despite a MUCH higher star quality and top of the roster, because the worst few guys on the field were much less competent that they were when we were winning.
It is very arguable that upgrading the #3 corner with a competent reliabvle player is more important that upgrading the starting DRE with a stud. It is equally arguable that depth in the interior line is more important that getting that 3rd probowl WR that everyone thinks is the missing piece on this team, even when it has never been the missing piece for any other Champion.

#22 - Jared Odrick. Truly a beast that is good against the run and can get to the QB. While I think you could possibly trade down to a late first and still acquire him, I would not fu*k around with that scenario. Anyone from the Cowboys, Jets, Colts, or Chargers could get him. IMO, stay put on this pick, he is DEFINITELY worth it.

#44 - Jerry Hughes. While he doesn't possess the height that Bill wants, he is an excellent pass rusher, something we haven't had in a while.

#47 - Damian Williams. All around great receiver. Could eventually be Moss' successor and would provide another weapon for Brady (Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Williams = sick)

#53 - (Trade) Greg Olsen. Chicago is pretty desperate for draft picks since they don't happen to have any in the first 3 rounds, so getting Olsen with this pick would be a steal. Has a pretty affordable contract, another deadly slot/outside guy, and is vastly better than any TE you could get in Round 2 or the entire draft for that matter. First round talent for a second round pick. Sold!

That's how I would use our first four picks.

Please no. I'm not trying to be mean, but for the love of everything sweet and holy, please don't let Bill waste another high draft pick on a tight end. We just don't use them enough in the passing game to justify that kind of compensation. Our tight ends are primarily used as blockers. That's why we should pick up a blocking tight end towards the bottom of the draft. We just have more pressing needs.

For help on offense, we should definitely look at a young center or guard. Koppen's contract is almost up and Neal may only have one more year left. Brady got battered a lot this past season. Most of the pressure came right up the middle. Let's spend that draft pick on someone that can keep #12 up right instead of another underutilized player. An upgrade in the interior of the line could greatly improve our running game and take some additional pressure off our star QB and a weak receiving corps.

As you well know, the issue is drafting a player is what he will add to the team over his career.

I agree that a quality #3 receiver could be as important as a starting running back. And yes, we have succeeded without studs at WR and at RB for that matter, and almost everywhere else. It is a matter of having quality players elsewhere.

I agree that we might find value anywhere.
=============

But saying that value could be anywhere during the draft just ends up stopping all discussion, since any position choice could be right at the time.

FOR ME, saying that we could choose any position is fine, but then we might aas well go on and discuss how we view the needs of the team for 2010, 2011 and beyond, and try to understand how we might draft in 2010 to best provide value.
=================

And just BTW, I am absolutely fine with Pouncey in the first. I certainly could see that as the best value. Personally, I judge Odrick as major upgrade over having Wright take all the reps at RDE. maybe you disagree. After all, we are NOT just talking about increased resp for Wright. We are talking about replacing the reps of Green.

Why would we have to 'replace' Moss? We did just fine without a traditional "stud" Wr before him.

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to predict a need based draft (BB just doesnt do that) especially when you base your needs on what the consensus of this board thinks they are.
I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted:
CB,S,OLB,ILB,DE,OT,OG,C,WR,RB,QB,TE with those 5 picks. DT seems to be the only one we would pass on.

I think there is a severe divide between the way this organizaiton views building a team and the way fans do.
Fans want name players, stars, players that everyone think is a steal, and ignore the way the champions here have been assembled.
Depth, versatility and adequacy mean a lot more.
If every player we put on the field is at least adequate, we will win SBs more often than not. We haven't been as successful over the last 5 years as we were the previous 5 years, despite a MUCH higher star quality and top of the roster, because the worst few guys on the field were much less competent that they were when we were winning.
It is very arguable that upgrading the #3 corner with a competent reliabvle player is more important that upgrading the starting DRE with a stud. It is equally arguable that depth in the interior line is more important that getting that 3rd probowl WR that everyone thinks is the missing piece on this team, even when it has never been the missing piece for any other Champion.

I consider the WR our first priority...however, i am not sure i would trust our early round WR selection seeing how horrible our history is

maybe on the 1st round?

then LB, first OLB, second ILB

following i would like to fill that RDE pos

i dont see RB or OL as a priority, and would not like to draft either for backup roles, only as starters and i dont believe we can dedicate those high round draft picks for that this year

Light is in a contract year and Neal's 2 year deal may be wishful thinking or at best net you 16 total games. Vollmer looks the part of a stud LT, but Kaczur is no stud at RT, Neal is increasingly fragile and Koppen has been losing ground physically for a couple of seasons. So I really hope to see OL get one of the first 4 picks. OLB as well. DE if possible but we have 2 #1's in 2011 and one of them should be a top 5-10 pick. ILB depth remains weak and while Guyton has held his own he's no Mayo.

TE only if they see a kid they believe is the complete package. WR is a need but we don't necessarily need an elite athlete, more like an instinctive football player. They often emerge from the later rounds. Two of Brees' 4 WR's are a 7th rounder and an UDFA. Two of Manning's 4 WR's are a 4th rounder and an UDFA. RB would be at the bottom of my list because we can make due with what we have provided an upgraded OL blocks better and more consistently. We will remain a pass first offense. I wouldn't mind seeing them take multiple flyers on developmental WR and RB from the 4th round on.

And who do you expect to develop to replace Moss in 2011: Edelman, Tate or Stanback?

I would like to have Moss back to finish his career but even if he doesn't Welker, Edelman, and Tate under contract for 2011 is enough of a starting point that we don't need to panic a year early. Could we use some help at WR sure but is as dire a need as people think no way. Focus on Dline and OLB and if you really want to help the offense a RB or oline to develope would be nice.

The order always depends on comparative value. I suspect that we would all be reasonably fine if we used our first five picks for

DEFENSIVE END

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

RUNNING BACK

WIDE RECEIVER

TIGHT END

And we would be fine if we sign a wide receiver instead, and then subsituted an inside linebacker.

I'd switch TE with interior OL and RB with another LB if Adalius is going to be let go as thought.

DEFENSIVE END

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

RUNNING BACK

WIDE RECEIVER

TIGHT END

I'd move RB to the bottom or even off the list. If we're talking about the four first and second round picks and given the fact that statistics suggest that maybe two of them will end up being impact players or even "keepers," I think they should draft "the best player on the board" who would fit with the Pats system and happens to be at one of the first four positions. In other words, if I have Tight End as need number four, but the best player on the board at one of those four positions is a Tight End, that's where I'd draft.

I would argue for placing priority on RB. We really need to take the pressure off Brady. These days other teams are just zeroing on Brady. Their D sets don't even respect our running game, and rightfully so.

I would politely disagree and say that the biggest need is a pass rush. The existing RB situation is not too bad. Not spectacular but not OK.

Of course Bill Belichick will ignore the wise advice on this forum :rolleyes: and do something like unexpected like...I don't know....a CB.

None of them. We didn't draft Moss and develop him. We traded for him. That is how we will get his replacement when the time comes.

alphilip77;1764484 #53 - (Trade) Greg Olsen. Chicago is pretty desperate for draft picks since they don't happen to have any in the first 3 rounds said:
Blech. He was drafted in teh first round, but has the talent of a fourth rounder. There is a reason Chicago is desperate for picks and yet no one will trade for this guy.

Besides, he can't block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey