PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Five Keys to Victory today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
1. Red zone, red zone, red zone.

This has turned out to be our biggest liability this season, even more than our 3rd WR problem, our problems on D, and the playcalling. We have been to the red zone 45 times in 9 games! The only team with more are the undefeated New Orleans Saints. Yet we are converting only half of our red zone possessions. I think that this is where our sporadic problems with the running game flares up, and our tendency to overpass bites us in the a**.

2. Stop the run.

Jets running offense is #1 in the NFL. We not only need to stop that, but in stopping that we will also put pressure on Sanchez to carry the game, something we know he has not shown consistency in. For Sanchez to feel like he has to do everything is to create opportunities for our defense to disrupt him even further. With Ty Warren hopefully returning today, we will go in the 3-4 as our base and depending on what degree we stop the drive with, we may see extensive nickel or dime.

3. Scooter

To borrow Jays52's nickname for Welker- Welker is one of the best in the business at feeling the backs behind him or upfield and making in-route adjustments (when he and Brady have been on the same page; see Denver). With the Jets absolutely certain to bring blitz on at least half their defensive reps, Welker will be key in making sight adjustments. For all the crap Revins is spouting, we know damn well they will play zone over/man under, and this where Welker will assassinate them. I see a 10+/100+ day for him if Patriots are able to exploit that.

4. Trick formation/plays

The blitz is oriented towards keying on the QB. But what if there was no QB to key on? Miami was able to sweep the Jets this season by keeping them back on their heels by feinting or bluffing with the wildcat. Now I am not suggesting that Brady is going to go line up or be taken out of the game, but it would be nice if we have a trick formation that just throws off the cadence of the blitz, just enough to create doubt to disrupt the rhythm and timing of the blitzes. In the first game, the Jets were blitzing at will and got in a great rhythm. We cannot let that happen again.

5. Pass-rushing

Yes that tired old cliche. It still needs improvement, and still is the achilles heel of our defense. In the Colts game, we saw major improvement from Burgess. And up to the point where TBC and Ninkovich went out of the game, we were generating consistent pressure on Manning. TBC will probably play, but Ninkovich is probably inactive today. One of the underrated aspect of Sanchez's game is his ability to throw on the run. He loses very little power while throwing on the run, and if we let him scramble around back there all day long, he will eventually connect with someone. Our pass rushers have to take away that opportunity.

Last edited:
Very nice. I agree with all your points, but my list is slightly different.

1. Red zone execution.

2. Stay agressive on both sides of the ball.

3. Mix it up on offense and maintain balance.

4. Play for 60 minutes.

5. Remember to score more points than the other team.

I'd also add, avoid drive killing turnovers and mistakes.

1. Red zone execution.

4. Play for 60 minutes.

Your input is always welcome.

I think Welker is key, but I expect a huge game out of Moss. Moss is a great receiver, and he definitely opens things up for Welker underneath. But I think Welker also helps Moss too by being so effective with those short routes. He's definitely Brady's security blanket, and teams have to respect that.

Nice analyses! Red Zone is definitely my #1 number one too, I might move pass rush up on the list a little bit. We need to stop the run and nail Sanchez every chance we get. We need good reads from our D, maybe grab an INT or 2:) Good stuff, and GO PATS!

i agree with the need to throw off the blitz, but i don't think trick plays are the best way the Pats can do it. I would think well timed screens and a quick passing game would do better.

i agree with the need to throw off the blitz, but i don't think trick plays are the best way the Pats can do it. I would think well timed screens and a quick passing game would do better.

I would love to see empty sets as one option against the blitz. I think it's been quite effective.

hahaha those scumbags at gangreen are hoping for a season ending injury to Brady.

God I hope we demolish them today

hahaha those scumbags at gangreen are hoping for a season ending injury to Brady.

God I hope we demolish them today

My new #1-#5: Do whatever you need to do to hammer 'em to the wall for 60 minutes and don't let up. :D

1. Red zone, red zone, red zone.

This has turned out to be our biggest liability this season, even more than our 3rd WR problem, our problems on D, and the playcalling. We have been to the red zone 45 times in 9 games! The only team with more are the undefeated New Orleans Saints. Yet we are converting only half of our red zone possessions. I think that this is where our sporadic problems with the running game flares up, and our tendency to overpass bites us in the a**.

Major improvement over last week. We were 3 of 4 in the red zone today.

2. Stop the run.

Jets running offense is #1 in the NFL. We not only need to stop that, but in stopping that we will also put pressure on Sanchez to carry the game, something we know he has not shown consistency in. For Sanchez to feel like he has to do everything is to create opportunities for our defense to disrupt him even further. With Ty Warren hopefully returning today, we will go in the 3-4 as our base and depending on what degree we stop the drive with, we may see extensive nickel or dime.

We were in the 3-4 as the base, in the nickel and dime, and then in the 4-3 near the end of the game. While we did not allow a rushing TD or allow the Jets their usual quota of yards, we did give up a 100-yarder: Jones had 21 carries and 103 yards.

3. Scooter

To borrow Jays52's nickname for Welker- Welker is one of the best in the business at feeling the backs behind him or upfield and making in-route adjustments (when he and Brady have been on the same page; see Denver). With the Jets absolutely certain to bring blitz on at least half their defensive reps, Welker will be key in making sight adjustments. For all the crap Revins is spouting, we know damn well they will play zone over/man under, and this where Welker will assassinate them. I see a 10+/100+ day for him if Patriots are able to exploit that.

Welker killed them. 15 carries for 192 yards.

4. Trick formation/plays

The blitz is oriented towards keying on the QB. But what if there was no QB to key on? Miami was able to sweep the Jets this season by keeping them back on their heels by feinting or bluffing with the wildcat. Now I am not suggesting that Brady is going to go line up or be taken out of the game, but it would be nice if we have a trick formation that just throws off the cadence of the blitz, just enough to create doubt to disrupt the rhythm and timing of the blitzes. In the first game, the Jets were blitzing at will and got in a great rhythm. We cannot let that happen again.

We had two trick plays: the Edelman sneak, and the slant out of the run option that got Moss his TD, and one other I can't remember. This was not really a factor in the game.

5. Pass-rushing

Yes that tired old cliche. It still needs improvement, and still is the achilles heel of our defense. In the Colts game, we saw major improvement from Burgess. And up to the point where TBC and Ninkovich went out of the game, we were generating consistent pressure on Manning. TBC will probably play, but Ninkovich is probably inactive today. One of the underrated aspect of Sanchez's game is his ability to throw on the run. He loses very little power while throwing on the run, and if we let him scramble around back there all day long, he will eventually connect with someone. Our pass rushers have to take away that opportunity.

Our pass-rushing was a great success today. We created disruptive pressure that led to Sanchez having an awful day (although it was partly his fault). His stats for the day: 8 for 21 (38%) for 136 yards with 4 INT's, 1 fumble, and 1 TD.

However we have two trends to worry about:

Our 2nd half lethargic starts. We are #1 in the NFL in scoring in the first half, but #14 in the 2nd half.

Our D playcalling is still suspect. We are not particularly suited to the cover 4. It does not play to our strengths. Being aggressive and playing press coverage, playing them up close is what energizes this defense.

Last edited:

1. Red zone execution.

4. Play for 60 minutes.

So, following up on my 5 keys:

1. Red zone execution and avoid drive killing turnovers and mistakes. Grade = C. We gave away 14-21 points in the first half, when the game could have been over. The Maroney fumble (saved by the Bodden interception), settling for a FG in the 2nd quarter after we had 1st and 10 from the 15, the blocked punt for a Jets TD, the missed Gostkowski FG just before halftime. Instead of 31 or 38 points and a shutout, we went in to halftime up just 24-7.

2. Stay aggressive on both sides of the ball. Grade = B. We were very aggressive in the first half and in the 4th quarter. But we reverted to predictable and passive in the 3rd quarter, not moving the ball on offense and going back to BBDB with the usual results, allowing Sanchez to actually put together a sustained drive for a TD. Do that against Drew Brees and he'll shred us for 3 TDs before we know what hit us.

3. Mix it up on offense and maintain balance. Grade = B. We ran the ball reasonably effectively, threw in some play action and even a flea flicker, and mixed up short stuff and long passes. But again in the 2nd half we ran almost exclusively out of the shotgun, gave up on the long ball, and abandoned the run in the 3rd quarter.

4. Play for 60 minutes. Grade = D. Well, we played for about 45 minutes this time. We pretty much mailed in the 3rd quarter. Fortunately, it was against Sanchez and the Jets, not Indy and the Colts. Or Brees and the Saints.

5. Remember to score more points than the other team. Grade = A-. At least we got this one right, though we still made it more interesting than it should have been.

Most concerning thing about this win is the feeling that we still haven't learned from our experience this year. Not reassuring when we go up against the Saints next week, or for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes