PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Five guys who improved their stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
  • MATT GUTIERREZ. Regardless of the fact that Gutierrez was largely playing second-stringers, while Cassel was playing first-stringers, Gutierrez looked much, much sharper than Cassel did, and got better performance out of his skill players than Cassel did.
  • Chad Jackson. No, he didn't have a 150-yard, 3-TD game. But he certainly seems to be showing that he can be the Moss-like burner we were all hoping he could be.
  • Ray Ventrone. Yes, he apparently had an illegal pick, but he's been doing his damnedest to prove he belongs on the roster. I would love to see how he'd do with Brady throwing him the ball.
  • CJ Jones. No, I don't think he's going to make the roster, but I'd say he's gone a long way to redeeming his earlier performances.
  • Heath Evans. It wasn't likely he was going to get cut before, and it's even less likely now.

Last edited:
I think CJ improved his stock for at least another week. I'm not sure we're you're getting Moss like burner speed. I didn't see it.

He had the end zone catch and the first catch for like 17yards.

If anything. I think Gutz through to him better, albeit it was second stringers.

I need to see Brady throw to this guy before any final judgment is made.

I think Ventrone is ahead of CJ. The guy is quick. He makes plays. I would love to see both Welker and him in the slot. Check down passes all day long. The kid just seems to know how too play the game, kind of like Troy Brown, but that is hefty praise.

Jones appears to have great athletic ability and also has much to learn. He needs to be stashed away ... he could end up being a very good #3 at some point.

CJ Jones looked good tonight, but I still think he is practice squad bound. He is a victim of the numbers game and the fact he did what he did vs. the B, C, D, and F squad. He is turning into this year's version of Patrick Cobbs.

As for Jackson, I think he will never be a burner like Moss. I think he can be a quick, but not fast guy like Deion Branch. He's not a burner.

I still think his speed will best be suited on shorter routes, not having him doing out patterns down the field.

As for Jackson, I think he will never be a burner like Moss. I think he can be a quick, but not fast guy like Deion Branch. He's not a burner.

I still think his speed will best be suited on shorter routes, not having him doing out patterns down the field.

With more game situations CJ looks like he can become a possession type receiver ... he is extremely strong ... he just needs to play. I don't see him as a deep threat ... but who knows.

I think CJ improved his stock for at least another week. I'm not sure we're you're getting Moss like burner speed. I didn't see it.

STOP calling Chad Jackson "CJ" while we still have CJ Jones on the team! :D

It's confusing, especially when they're both a part of the original post ;)

I thought Dave Thomas did some good things. He caught a ball or balls. can't remember. but he was in there quite a bit blocking so i see that as a plus for a guy that has been injured quite a bit.

• MATT GUTIERREZ. Regardless of the fact that Gutierrez was largely playing second-stringers, while Cassel was playing first-stringers, Gutierrez looked much, much sharper than Cassel did, and got better performance out of his skill players than Cassel did.
  • Chad Jackson. No, he didn't have a 150-yard, 3-TD game. But he certainly seems to be showing that he can be the Moss-like burner we were all hoping he could be.
  • Ray Ventrone. Yes, he apparently had an illegal pick, but he's been doing his damnedest to prove he belongs on the roster. I would love to see how he'd do with Brady throwing him the ball.
  • CJ Jones. No, I don't think he's going to make the roster, but I'd say he's gone a long way to redeeming his earlier performances.
  • Heath Evans. It wasn't likely he was going to get cut before, and it's even less likely now.

Heath Evans is the biggest reason the Eagles scored on that 101-yd KR.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...s_allow_2_TD_returns/srvc=patriots&position=4

“You came to the right guy, because that one was my fault,” said Evans, normally a special teams standout. “Kickoffs are simple. Everyone has responsibilities. Obviously, they base it on everyone giving effort. That’s a given, and you better be giving it, otherwise you’re not going to be here.

“But you’ve also got to be right where they coach you to be. I was trying to do too much. I didn’t get in the lane I needed to get in or hit the wedge in the position I need to.

“And it cost us a touchdown, that’s plain and simple,” Evans continued. “I can fix it; I fixed it on the next one. But you don’t get re-dos in this sport. Am I glad it happened now? Am I glad it happened now instead of two weeks from now? Of course. But that’s just one area where I need to get better.”

I need to see Brady throw to this guy [CJ Jones] before any final judgment is made.

That really hits home. The final judgement comes from the big man himself. We can all remember in 2006 when Brady had all training camp to develop a rapport with Reche caldwell and Ben watson, but he never truly "trusted" them like he did with Givens, Patton, and Branch. When the Pats tried out some receivers mid-season, they selected Jabar Gaffney. Caldwell had all training camp to develop the trust with Brady, but Gaffney quickly became a favorite despite their lack of experience with one another.

It doesn't come down to who plays well-but rather who plays well with Brady.

Last edited:
Ventrone looked good. Plays hard. Seems to get open. Welker-esque, but seems stockier.

C Jack did better. I want to see more and more of this Chad.

STOP calling Chad Jackson "CJ" while we still have CJ Jones on the team! :D

It's confusing, especially when they're both a part of the original post ;)

there will only be only one CJ, the original CJ. we'll call the other one Jones.

That really hits home. The final judgement comes from the big man himself. We can all remember in 2006 when Brady had all training camp to develop a rapport with Reche caldwell and Ben watson, but he never truly "trusted" them like he did with Givens, Patton, and Branch. When the Pats tried out some receivers mid-season, they selected Jabar Gaffney. Caldwell had all training camp to develop the trust with Brady, but Gaffney quickly became a favorite despite their lack of experience with one another.

It doesn't come down to who plays well-but rather who plays well with Brady.

I actually mean Jackson, but you could say the same as Jones.

Unfortunately Brady may not play until week 1 and cuts are well before that.

there will only be only one CJ, the original CJ. we'll call the other one Jones.

there's a perfectly civil way to decide this: each of you play one game of solitaire (vegas style) and then report your scores. Highest one WINS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back