Welcome to PatsFans.com

Five Fatal Flaws of Solar Energy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 25, 2014.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +309 / 9 / -12

2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +668 / 13 / -28

at this point, it is probably not feasible as a single source when it comes to industry, but it certainly does have a place on the grid

in fact it lines up quite nicely with the addressing of an issue that already exists....a grid that can simply not meed demand at peak times

solar has a spot as part of a solution that includes the creation of localized stations using this:

[​IMG]

especially out in the far west, where there is plenty of space, solar combined with grid storage systems would instantly eliminate the issues surrounding localized brownouts by having the grid dotted with these substations rather than having huge amounts of electrical energy needing to be transported over long distances which get subjected to massive line loss at peak demand.

it would buy the existing grid 50-100 years

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

word is there are plans for more nuclear plants ... solar is okay but it is hugely expensive for the amount of energy produced. I imagine that changes over time but it takes so many years to get sites up and running that time is not on our side and all forms of energy production need to stay on the table except for dirty coal plants.

4. SB39

SB39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

That solar roadways project they mention at the very end of the article proves how stupid people can be. Not the ones who invented solar roadways, those people are now millionaires proving suckers are born every minute. I'm talking about the complete morons who helped crowdsource them to the time of $2 million.

5. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +359 / 58 / -29

#32 Jersey

Rubber collects on the road surface and would make the panels useless.

What about plowing snow and ice off the roads. They have snow and ice in the south.

6. SB39

SB39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

They claim the panels would be able to melt the ice off themselves from the solar power, which an insanely idiotic thing to even most 2nd graders.

I can only imagine the response by anyone like myself that has ever commuted to Boston from metroWest and takes the Tpke. east in the morning and west in the evening. Yeah let's make the roads glass! What sun glare? There's no sun glare on the Mass Pike!

7. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +359 / 58 / -29

#32 Jersey

preposterous.

8. RecoveringCowboy

RecoveringCowboy On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0

If we buy less oil from Russia and the ISIS, would you still object to solar?

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +309 / 9 / -12

If we developed our own oil resources and provided energy 60% less than solar and blew off the ME & Russian oil would you mind?

10. RecoveringCowboy

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0

I'm OK with just about any source but coal, but I think the market can sort it out. The demonization of solar is crazy. if someone wants a solar home, why not?

• Like Like x 1
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +309 / 9 / -12

Who demonizes solar for a house?

With scrubbers coal is a good inexpensive source of energy. Sadly coal has been demonized and the result in NE for example has been the highest electricity cost in the nation and it appears we are headed for brownouts this winter due to the eco nuts and their policies.

http://spectator.org/articles/60007/get-ready-new-england-power-shortage

Not enough energy to supply the grid enjoy.

BTW how many deaths from a failing energy grid will be acceptable to the people pursuing their green utopia?

12. RecoveringCowboy

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0

I did NOT say that!

I said the demonization of solar is crazy (in general, per my last post.)

In the years of being on both car and energy forums, I've seen over-the-top attacks on a particular energy source or vehicle. Here is an example of a flyer a Tesla hater put in the Bay > http://jalopnik.com/flyer-accuses-tesla-owners-of-war-strange-sex-anal-it-1570223265

Solar is an emerging tech getting cheaper, like desktop computers a few decades ago. It has it's place, and there will be situations it will be profitable.

I'd rather let the marketplace determine solar's value than a poster judging like some bureaucrat formulating the next GosPlan.