Welcome to PatsFans.com

Five facts that continue to amaze me

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

5. The Welker trade: Hard to believe that you could make a case for all of the following arguments:
    (1) The second-round pick was an absolute bargain for the Patriots.
    (2) Welker was not worth a second-rounder to, essentially, any other team in the NFL.
    (3) Welker has exceeded most of our expectations.
    (4) The Dolphins improved their team, in the long term, with the trade.
    (5) Nevertheless, by sending Welker to the Pats, they ultimately left themselves further behind the Patriots than they were before they traded him.

4. The Patriots have had more players score touchdowns (21) than three teams have touchdowns, period. Tom Brady has more touchdown passes this season than 29 teams have touchdowns, period (the Colts have 48 and the Cowboys 52).

3. We're honestly having a serious discussion about a 0 TD, 1 INT 20-10 Patriots win in terrible weather being Brady's annual "stinker." (Could any of you have imagined, in 2004, that we'd be having this discussion right now?)

2. The Patriots are 15-2 on the road the last two seasons (including playoffs)--and 10 of those wins have been by two touchdowns or more.

1. Tom Brady is the only quarterback in the Super Bowl era to have won more than 16 consecutive regular-season games . . . and he's now done it twice.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  2. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

All great points, this one stands out. Brady's "annual stinker" normally consists of 4 interceptions and a loss, so if his stinker is last week, well then that just tells you what a great year he's having. Even his crappy game works out just OK.
  3. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

The ironic thing about Welker is when he was on a team full of talent and superstar players such as the powerhouse known as the Miami Dolphins, he lacked the skill set to earn a starting role at WR, starting only 3 games in two years. However, on a team with less skilled WR, the New England Patriots, he rose to the level of starter, starting 12 of 14 games this season.

If the fact that Welker could not cut it at the Dolphins, but leads in receptions on the New England is not absolute proof that the Dolphins are talent packed and Patriots is an abyss of quality players, then I don't know what other proof exists.

:)
  4. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Great list.

On Welker, though, there seems to be this impression out there that Miami gave him up voluntarily. They didn't. It didn't start out as a trade. The Patriots were set to sign him as an RFA, but then the parties sat down and agreed to a "trade" in which New England gave up a 7th (in addition to the 2d which Miami would have received anyway if Welker had been signed as an RFA) in order to avoid the unpleasantness of a poison pill scenario.

I guess one could argue that Miami made a mistake by giving Welker a 2d round tender instead of a 1st round tender. I'd agree with that. But when you hear commentators refer to Welker as having been "traded" by Miami, to the extent it implies a voluntary trade and desire to get rid of him, it's not entirely accurate.
  5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

Exactly. That's what makes this year so special. Last year he had the Jets and before that the loss to the Phins but now the dropoff from supreme excellence is a 0 TD 1 pick game. I'm sure he's totaly pissed at himself for the pick.
  6. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

That is all true. What amazes me it that the Dolphins didn't put him to better use while he was there.
  7. ClevTrev

ClevTrev Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Good thread and good stats that really stand out when you consider them together.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Then this means that the sky is not falling, I can be happy once again.. lah, de dah.. nice post.
  9. fourthandmiles

fourthandmiles Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What would Welker be worth now? HYPOTHETICALLY!
  10. Drew_Brady

Drew_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What about:
    A) Mike Vrabel still comes with a 100% receiving TD guarantee
    B) Through week 15, no offensive lineman of an opposing team have taken a cheap shot at Brady despite my local commentator being certain this would happen!
  11. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

u mean defensive?
  12. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Or defensive player, for that matter!
  13. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

u mean defensive linemen? LOL

also, if branch was worth a 1st round pick, i think welker is at least that
  14. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

It irritates me that no one else seems to get this, that it is spoken of as a trade. The press is just remarkably ignorant, time and time again.
  15. Drew_Brady

Drew_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nah, just waiting for for Logan to give Tommy the old runaround :D

Of course, an opposing defensive lineman :)
  16. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

To be fair, though, according to the Krafts, the rumors of the poison pill 7-year offer sheet were just that--rumors. That said, I do agree with you that it was essentially a trade in name only (i.e., if they couldn't trade for him, they'd have used the poison pill), and that the Dolphins sealed Welker's fate when they didn't use the highest tender on him. [I'm not arguing they should have, BTW.]
  17. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Maybe they thought he was too short (like Steve Smith). :p
  18. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I hate the whole "I'm surprised nobody has taken a cheap shot at Brady yet" talk. It's rediculous, unfounded, and ignorant. What motivation does ANY defensive player have to intentionally end Brady's season and/or career?

Within the NFL, as it is with every large professional sport in America, there are regular guys earning paychecks to support families. I know people cry cry cry about how much NFL players make and whatnot, but imagine if you were making 4 MILLION/year and some idiot took out your knees, destroying your earning potential. Not only that, but HE WOULD GAIN NOTHING. Wow, one lousy stinking win (maybe).

If ANY player were to intentionally hurt any other player, it would be a selfish, despicable act. That player could be suspended indefinitely. I'm honestly surprised that the guy who stomped on Albert Haynseworth is even allowed in the league.

I mean come on. The guys are competetive, but they aren't vindictive.
  19. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

Two things:

(1) Haynesworth was the stomper, not the stompee.
    (2) I agree with you that it would be beyond disgusting to do. I also think that if it happened at Gillette, there would be Pats fans out for blood (granted, probably not the red seat folks).
  20. Drew_Brady

Drew_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can't say that I disagree. The reason I brought it up was just b/c I'm fed up with mediots trying to make some sort of headline.

But then again, how can one be sure that the NFL don't have their own version of Chris Simon of the NY Islanders ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.