PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fitzy signs 1 year 12 million w/Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitz is an ok QB, he's smart, but has a bit of a gunslinger mentality without the requisite skill and turns it over a bit too much. He is way better than Geno.

It's all the Eagles fault. They destroyed the QB market. Paying 36 million to Bradford who I think doesn't have one winning season and 7 million to a Chase Daniel. Also wonder how much Nick Foles being released by the Rams influenced this. Otherwise, congrats Jets, your mediocre QB is back for another year. Enjoy the average-ness.

Bonus: nobody underperforms a new contract like Ryan Fitzpatrick. ;)
Seems you are over valuating Sanchez. Didn't they give him that great new contract and then unloaded him the next year? Or did he make it 2 years, in which case, I will have to give you the agree.

Either way, Fitz is back to backup status next year unless he comes through again.

Heard Schefter report he has the most TDs (probably active) by a QB with no post season appearances.

Geno's reaction:
2016-7-28-GenoSad.png

It's more than they should have given up for him TODAY but, all in all taking a step back and looking at the situation from when free agency opened up, this is a major win for the Jets. Well done. They get him a lot cheaper than they should have and they only have to give him a one year deal, franchising him next year shouldn't be insanely expensive.

12 million for one year? Yeow!
It's more than they should have given up for him TODAY but, all in all taking a step back and looking at the situation from when free agency opened up, this is a major win for the Jets. Well done. They get him a lot cheaper than they should have and they only have to give him a one year deal, franchising him next year shouldn't be insanely expensive.

The franchise tag on a QB should be pretty high.

12 million for one year? Yeow!

The franchise tag on a QB should be pretty high.
Considering what we saw guys like Bradford get, this was a nice deal.

Where the hell did they get $12m in cap space? Probably putting half of it into next year. Dumbasses.

I bet he will play well and get another payday like that year with the bills when they beat us. I don't mind him when he ain't playing us.

Where the hell did they get $12m in cap space? Probably putting half of it into next year. Dumbasses.
They signed Wilkerson, saving almost 6 mil in 2016 compared to the franchise tag.

So, yes, they moved half into next year (and beyond), just on a different contract.

Having heard the news, Marshall challenged Brown for slips on their cars. Whoever gets the most receiving yards in the season gets the other one's car.

Fitz is an ok QB, he's smart, but has a bit of a gunslinger mentality without the requisite skill and turns it over a bit too much. He is way better than Geno.
Surprised nobody has ever mentioned this during a broadcast, but he went to Harvard. Youd think they'd have mentioned it at least once.

Well, there's another year that'll be spent stunting Geno Smith's growth, and another arrow into his psyche.

After all, if Smith is supposed to be the QB of the future, why is he being relegated to back up duties? Why sign Fitz at a nice chunk of change for just a year when it's not likely to make any big difference? Why not get a journeyman back up and let Geno play and get another year's experience so that perhaps he can ge with the rest of the team and maybe get some consistency going?

All I can say is "Thank You Woody!" Another year of dumpster fire football in the Meadowlands!

View attachment 13639

I live in NYC and, believe me, no one in the media or any fan with an IQ above room temperature (which is, of course, a limited group among Jets fans) thinks of Geno as the QB of the future. He doesn't seem to be able to learn from his mistakes and he's not that bright. He had some real locker room problems which led to his getting clocked by Enemkpali...the tabloids down here have repeatedly pointed out that no one jumped to Geno's defense.

He'd be a goner, but they were stuck with him as long as Fitz was holding out and now they need him as backup, unless Hackenberg surprises people, which is unlikely.

We also have to remember that the Jet's cap situation is pretty bad (they're going to have to renegotiate a couple of contracts to cover Fitz' paycheck) and Geno's cap hit is a tolerable $1.5 million. He will be a Free Agent after the season. If Fitz gets injured or flops, he'll get a chance to improve what will otherwise be a very limited value on the FA market.

But otherwise, you're right. The QB situation in Jests land is pretty dismal longer term.

The bottom line is that they were always going to sign Fitz and the dumpster fire in the Meadowlands continues to burn!

Surprised nobody has ever mentioned this during a broadcast, but he went to Harvard. Youd think they'd have mentioned it at least once.
I've always thought of that as so much a part of Fitz' story that they've just gotten tired of talking about it.

He's a smart guy.

He cashed a big check when he signed with the Bills and I think we can be confident that he has invested wisely.

He understands the risks associated with getting your head banged in every week and he obviously put a price tag on what it was worth for him to take another year of it and $8 million wasn't enough.

If he wants to work after he retires from the NFL, there will be plenty of Investment Managers who will rush to hire him in Sales...the guy who walks in with the expert and is smart enough to be able to close the deal with someone who lives in New York or New Jersey...lots of money down here...

Hell of a step up from youtube....

Wrong Fitzy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill