PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fish: Specter irked by uncooperative Pats, league in Spygate probe [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specter is unhapy with Pats

check it out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3259486

Why is Specter unhappy.?

Specter painted a much starker, more contentious picture than the one presented by the league and the Patriots. He said both the Patriots and New York Jets have refused to cooperate with his investigation.

Specter told ESPN.com that his staff has been rebuffed in its efforts to interview Patriots personnel about the team's videotaping practices. The Republican leader on the Senate Judiciary Committee refused to say who, specifically, he wanted to talk to, but the list presumably includes head coach Bill Belichick, his longtime assistant Ernie Adams and members of the team's video department.

"My staff has been stonewalled on that," Specter said.

After his staff made phone contact with some individuals connected to the team, Specter said they were referred to the Patriots' outside legal counsel, who rejected a request for cooperation. Daniel L. Goldberg, who represents the Patriots and also the Boston Red Sox, said that in all cases, the individuals had been previously interviewed at least once -- and in some instances twice -- by the league.

Goldberg refused to identify those individuals.

"Sen. Specter's office had called me as counsel to the Patriots to ask to interview several Patriots employees," said Goldberg, attorney with the Boston firm of Bingham and McCutchen. "I was told that the inquiry was with respect to signal-taping. And as I explained to the Senator's office, we regard this as a league matter. As such, we have fully cooperated with the league's investigation."

Asked to respond to Specter's accusation that the Patriots have stonewalled his requests for information, Goldberg said, "You look at it from our perspective. Who is the right forum for an inquiry into a matter like this? We regard this as a league matter. It deals with league rules, league enforcement."

Specter's investigators also have been rebuffed in their efforts to seek access to members of the Jets' coaching staff. During the season-opening game last September at New York, the Patriots were caught taping defensive signals being sent in from the Jets' sideline. The Jets' staff is of key interest in the Spygate affair because several members, including Jets head coach Eric Mangini, worked under Belichick in New England.

"Our firm was engaged to represent certain employees of the New York Jets in connection with a request for information from Sen. Specter," Jets outside legal counsel Scott Michel said in an e-mail to ESPN.com on Friday night. "Our clients have not spoken to the senator or his staff and at this time have no plans to do so."

Specter said Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard, a one-time backup to Tom Brady with the Patriots, refused to speak with him, too, during a personal phone call the Senator placed to Huard last Friday.

"I talked to him, and he wouldn't talk," Specter said. "I didn't go through a secretary, and he doubted that it was Arlen Specter. Maybe that is why he wouldn't talk. I don't sound much like Arlen Specter."

"Well, I don't want to pick a fight with everybody in the world, like all the owners," Specter said. "But they are functioning from talking points -- 'We're satisfied with the investigation.' 'Oh yes, the penalty was sufficient.' 'Oh, let's put this behind us.' 'Let's move on.'

"You have heard everyone say the same thing."

Why does Specter not want to 'move on' when everybody does.?

Last edited:
Re: Specter is unhapy with Pats.

Hes toast. Everyone needs to vote against this tool in the next election. Everyone in NE votes against him he will easily lose.

Recent reports suggest that he is planning to run for re-election to his Senate Seat in 2010, when he will be 80 years old.

Can you give us the jist of it. I refuse to read, watch or listen to anything from that so-called sports news outlet. I just assume listen to static, in which I am sure I'd get more out of it them listening to any opinions from anyone from that network.

Whatever Spector feels, can you blame the Pats if they are not cooperating with him. I mean he talks about wanting "fairness" in the NFL, yet I have not heard of him talking to or interviewing any of the numerous other NFL players, coaches or commentators who claim that many other teams do what the Pats are accussed of doing and that they have been doing it for years. Oh, and that little thing when he said about the main reason he is pursueing this so much is that the Pats beat Philly in the SB a few years back.

Wow, Arlen is painting himself into a corner... I can see why he's pressing. If his endeavors bear no fruit, he'll definitely be answering to his constituents in PA... and his critics.

Frankly, with all that's going on home and abroad, I'm a little ticked off on how our tax money is being so judiciously spent.

Last edited:

" Specter explained: "To get a concession from the commissioner that it goes back to the year 2000. To get a concession that they had notes. Originally, we were only told about videos, and they only went back a half-dozen games in '06. Originally, we weren't told that the notes included the [Pittsburgh] Steelers."

OMG, there were notes!

I'm shocked. Shocked to find writing going on around here!

Can you give us the jist of it. I refuse to read, watch or listen to anything from that so-called sports news outlet. I just assume listen to static, in which I am sure I'd get more out of it them listening to any opinions from anyone from that network.

Whatever Spector feels, can you blame the Pats if they are not cooperating with him. I mean he talks about wanting "fairness" in the NFL, yet I have not heard of him talking to or interviewing any of the numerous other NFL players, coaches or commentators who claim that many other teams do what the Pats are accussed of doing and that they have been doing it for years. Oh, and that little thing when he said about the main reason he is pursueing this so much is that the Pats beat Philly in the SB a few years back.

We actually already had a thread on this. Pats shouldnt cooperate, he has no business demanding to talk to BB and Ernie Adams. Are we sure this isnt just some old croon who escaped from the nursing home somewhere?

Originally, we weren't told that the notes included the [Pittsburgh] Steelers."

Did Specter read what Steelers chairman had to say last week.? Apparently, not.

Perhaps, his Eagles team should tell him to move on because there is nothing to see. I can't believe that he pursues this scandal with passion when everybody says that it is time to move on.

Last edited:
He's not running for office again...he's a lame duck...in any case he's a real quack

Re: Fish: Specter irked by uncooperative Pats, league in Spygate probe

why aren't this guys stepping up and telling specter to lighten up?

Is there anything more nefarious than video equiptment at a football game? I put that as a close second to genocide.

Are you serious?? You have judged your senators worthless because They haven't gotten all caught up in Spygate? THEY live in a bubble??

POT. KETTLE. BLACK.

I judge this post as worthless and you live in a bubble otherwise known as your parents basement.

Stick to things you know like Halo and Taco Bell.

I don't want ANY Senators getting caught up in the spygate frenzy. That wasn't obvious?

Are you serious?? You have judged your senators worthless because They haven't gotten all caught up in Spygate? THEY live in a bubble??

POT. KETTLE. BLACK.

You should be heralded as "The Great Defender of Those That Screw You." Congradulations.

BTW- I don't smoke pot

I don't describe anything as a "kettle"

and I'm not black.

Politicians are worthless as an entire entity. Go wave your flag in another direction.

Politicians are worthless as an entire entity.

Agreed. They can be discussed in the Political forum.

Not this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing