PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fish a Trap Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not every people. I've never called any game a "trap" until this one. Remember, a similar squad beat Chicago when it was undefeated last year and Cleo Lemon was at QB. An 0-6 team, hungry for its first win at home, which traditionally plays the Pats very tough, gets a visit from a banged up squad that's coming off what basically felt like a regular season super bowl. If the Pats breeze through Miami this weekend, THEN I'm going to start thinking about that 16-0 idea also.

No one said you called prior games trap games, but someone has every single week. And Remember, this Pats team is so far is the most talented Pats team ever. Chicago last year had a glaring offensive weakness. This team doesn't. And this dolphin's team is worse than any dolphins team in recent memory.

This Pats team won't fall for trap games, because the coaches & the players don't look past the current week. They're very good at focusing at the task at hand (unlike say Dallas & Clayton, who after losing are saying they'll be in the superbowl, and if we're lucky enough to get that far, they'll beat us then)...The players aren't looking at 16-0, they're looking at going 1-0, just doing it every single week.

And I'm not sure how beating an 0-6 teams makes you believe 16-0 is any more possible than before the beating that 0-6 team. The real challenge will be the Colts. If we handily beat the Colts, then no one will stop us. If its a close game, then the AFC championship will once again be the real superbowl.

This game will be over after the Patriots first offensive drive. They'll get out 7-0, and the fins will never catch up.

Last edited:
If the Pats breeze through Miami this weekend, THEN I'm going to start thinking about that 16-0 idea also.
I'd hold out till they beat the Colts, the Skins, the Steelers.

Miami has 1 weapon left. Ronnie Brown. Pats will breeze through Miami on Sunday with no problems. There's no such thing as a trap game, only wins and losses.

Last edited:
Uh...didn't they shut us out last year?

Sammy Morris ran for 100+ yards...at least we know THAT won't happen this time.

Miami used to have a Defense-Not any more
Pats used to have subpar wr's-Not any more

This will be a blowout Pats 40-7

Nobody should be worried. The "history" of one loss per season against the Fish means nothing. The fins have a crappy offense as usual and now unlike the past seasons, they have a horrible D.

They still have Jason "F@#!ING" Taylor, though...every time I've seen him play the Pats, it's like he had 25 Red Bulls before the game.

It won't even be close. The Dolphins are the worst team in the NFL by a longshot. I think BC could beat them.

And come on guys, there is no such thing as a trap game with this Patriots team. We should all know that by now...

As I said before, this is no trap game as the players will be well prepared, wanting the perfect season as much as we do...

But at 0-6 one can't help but wonder if they'd put Beck in to see what he can do... sometimes that's the best way to go... put in a guy for whom the defense really has not prepared. I think this was of great benefit to Brady in 2001.

You might say that Beck's confidence could be hurt by playing sooner rather than later - I disagree and think that no one, least of all himself, would expect him to do that much with the team he has around him... all he can do is improve his and the team's stock.

i'm more worried about baltimore. they have looked really good so far. both them and washington have the D to potentially shut us down and get within a few lucky breaks of beating us. nobody else on the schedule has the Defense to do that, although the Colts have the offense. Everyone else needs to have a career day on both sides of the ball.

i'm more worried about baltimore. they have looked really good so far. both them and washington have the D to potentially shut us down and get within a few lucky breaks of beating us. nobody else on the schedule has the Defense to do that, although the Colts have the offense. Everyone else needs to have a career day on both sides of the ball.

The Steelers have a better D then both those teams. Not to mention a much better offense. It's the Colts and then Steelers who are the "teams to beat" (not that they don't have to beat everyone else) now. If they can get by Pittsburg, I'll be on the 16-0 bandwagon 100%.

Thoughts? I know Miami's a subpar team (to put it mildly) but they always seem to play bigger than their cleats in Miami when we play them. Plus with all the coverage of the Dallas game... It wouldn't completely shock me if it's at least a close game.

PS I'm worried about the Colts after Sunday. Our D wasn't covering well 10-20 yards off the LOS. That's how we got burned last January. Hope I'm wrong...

I was thinking that last night and this morning as well.. This is definitely a trap game... Especially because Miami has talent on their defense....At least in their front 7... their secondary seems to have regressed...

Welker should have a big game for the Pats...So should Faulk.. Maroney will if he plays...

Miami is the worst team in football. This game will be over before halftime. If you must worry, worry about Washington.

Miami is the worst team in football. This game will be over before halftime. If you must worry, worry about Washington.

We said that 12/21/04. I'm not taking any team with Jason Taylor lightly.

I'd hold out till they beat the Colts, the Skins, the Steelers.

Miami has 1 weapon left. Ronnie Brown. Pats will breeze through Miami on Sunday with no problems. There's no such thing as a trap game, only wins and losses.

Of course I don't think this is a more significant game than the Colts or Steelers games. But as it regards those games, I know the preparation is going to be at a high level mentally and emotionally. Both of those games will see the championship caliber play that the Pats are capable of.

A game like this is more significant for me when we talk about an undefeated season because when you look back at the Pats 14-2 years, they generally beat the good teams on their schedule and dropped games to bad teams (Pitt being the exception). Maybe it would be different if the Fins were 3-3, I understand they're bad, but if the Patriots can keep their motivation and focus this weekend and blow out the Dolphins at home after all the hoopla last week, that to me is a big statement about the team.

I understand the Colts is the bigger game, but to go undefeated they're going to have to bring their A game into these kinds of weekends, coming off big wins.

We're not as bad as you clowns think. For the exception of 1, maybe 2 games, we were in position to win but folded down the stretch.

We should have beaten the Skins. Lost a close one in overtime. There's 1 win

Against the Cowgirls, we had the lead midway through the 3rd qtr before Trent Green decided to throw the ball to Cowboys instead of the Fins. If Green plays a decent game, we beat them. That could have gone either way.

The Jets, we should have beaten them. We lost a close one 31-28.

The Raiders just killed us. We never had a chance. that's a loss.

Houston- I mean C'mon, their kicker hits 2 53 yd field goals and a 58 ydr to win it. Gimme a break. We should have won that game.

Browns- We should have won that game. It was closer than the score indicated.

So we could easily be 4-2 or even 5-1.

This is NOT a trap game for the Pats. Not at all. The Pats will lose to a superior opponent Sunday, no bull.

We're not as bad as you clowns think. For the exception of 1, maybe 2 games, we were in position to win but folded down the stretch.

Against the Cowgirls, we had the lead midway through the 3rd qtr before Trent Green decided to throw the ball to Cowboys instead of the Fins. If Green plays a decent game, we beat them. That could have gone either way.

Houston- I mean C'mon, their kicker hits 2 53 yd field goals and a 58 ydr to win it. Gimme a break. We should have won that game.

This is NOT a trap game for the Pats. Not at all. The Pats will lose to a superior opponent Sunday, no bull.

Right now, Miami and the Rams are the two worst teams in football. I have the 'privilege' of getting all the Dolphins games, since I live in Florida, and "your" team is every bit as bad as people are saying. Jason Taylor knows it and Dan Marino knows it. If they are willing to admit it, perhaps you can too.

Now, having said that, Miami has historically been a terrible matchup for the Patriots, and it wouldn't shock me if they play their best game of the year this week. But, the notion that the Dolphins are a superior opponent is asinine.

Last edited:
Arter the game in Miami last year 21-0 with the fins stealing audibles it Won't be a trap game, it will be a revenge game.

I thought this kind of "would've, could've should've" thinking was outlawed?

As Bill Parcells would say, "you are what you are". Which is 0-6. Soon to be 0-7. Deal with it. (Don't keep deluding/torturing yourself because reality will keep coming back to bite you.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back