Welcome to PatsFans.com

Fiscal Cliff: Opportunity Missed?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Dec 4, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

The pubbies wrote a letter with the world's vaguest framework, essentially recapping Rmoney's campaign position:

"Oh no no no it's terrible to raise rates, we'll just "close loopholes." "

Maybe it's best not to get too clever by half, and to stick to what the American people said: No smoke and mirrors, no games, raise rates on the wealthiest.

Well yeah, I see that.

However -- absent the usual pubbie shenanigans -- the deductions route can work just as well, and you can make more progress than through a rate hike at the very top.

Should the Dems have just dived in, and said,

"Okay, we'll give you what you want. We'll close the carried interest deduction, and limit all deductions to a cap of $100,000 (or for that matter, $50,000)?"

IOW - no, don't close the middle class deduction for home mortgage. Limit it to the primary residence (presently you can still write it off on a secondary home.) Otherwise, leave the breaks alone, but accept the dollar cap (not a percentage of income cap) as Rmoney suggested. Give it a ceiling of 50k+ -- in other words, at a high enough level that the median-income folks do not get hurt by it.

The guy figuring out how to get out of a $10M obligation gets that same 50K cap as the guy making 50K.

Why not take the pubbie framework, and define the missing variables?

I suppose the calculation in tax/debt debates is that whoever specifies the details is left holding the bag -- ergo, it's a trap. The Administration's floated their idea - a higher highest marginal rate. The people digested it and voted on it and approved it. They have a winning hand.

We all saw what happened in the health care debate, so I'm not so sure I want to start from the compromise position. But that's all tactics. In terms of one-man dictatorial rule, if I could just take the pubbie letter, say "Okay, and I'll define the terms," I could achieve the same goal. In terms of poker with pubbies, that's another story.

Meh, about a month until we see what's under the tree, in terms of Taxes. Probably a stopgap until the next time. We'll see.

pFnV
  2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

I've lost faith in this system. It used to be that compromise for the good of the country was an assumed part of the job. Both sides are to blame, but the Repubs are the primary culprits intractably protecting the rich. I wish someone would throw a pie in Boehner's face, I'm sick of that stiff.
  3. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

This whole fiscal cliff thing, and the debt ceiling debacle that preceded it, are going to be looked at as a testimony to the value of secret shady behind-the-scenes backroom dealing. The trouble comes in when you go all bumper-sticker where the wonks should talk to the wonks and put it to bed.

PFnV
  4. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Closing loopholes "should" be a priority of all govts.

I don't know what it's like in the US but here we have the ridiculous situation where companies and individuals can manipulate the system to such an extent that they, effectively, negotiate the level of tax they pay.
  5. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -2

there's not going to be any fiscal cliff......watch

1/1/13 will show up without a meaningful change in our lives......book it
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

But it does make grand theater... more twitter followers for all, the true measure of success...
  7. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -2

anyone who thought there's any kind of substantial difference from bush to obama to whoever is next is a fool
  8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

Kind of broad, bland, and off-topic there IC.
  9. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -2

Not really....