Welcome to PatsFans.com

First salt... then sugar... now happy meals...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Looks like the nanny state is gearing up for their next battle in telling Americans how to live their lives.

Happy Meal toys could be banned in Santa Clara County - latimes.com

Convinced that Happy Meals and other food promotions aimed at children could make kids fat as well as happy, county officials in Silicon Valley are poised to outlaw the little toys that often come with high-calorie offerings.

The proposed ban is the latest in a growing string of efforts to change the types of foods aimed at youngsters and the way they are cooked and sold. Across the nation, cities, states and school boards have taken aim at excessive sugar, salt and certain types of fats.

Believed to be the first of its kind in the nation, the proposal would forbid the inclusion of a toy in any restaurant meal that has more than 485 calories, more than 600 mg of salt or high amounts of sugar or fat. In the case of McDonald's, the limits would include all of the chain's Happy Meals — even those that include apple sticks instead of French fries.
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not sure I like a legal ban but why won't some of these places take the lead on their own? Cripes they put spokespersons in the media to brag about changing the fat in their fryers then try and get you to supersize everything you order. I'm sick of their up selling tactics and their bribery. Cripes if you order a salad they ask if you want a desert. Those tactics may be perfectly legal but they sure do stick in my craw and enough of other peoples to prompt these ban proposals. The cost for health care related to obesity is staggering. They're setting themselves up for this. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 10 / -26

How about the classic line, do you want to supersize that order for .20 more??

Another example is that the health bill now requires that you post the nutritional values of the food they sell, good great idea, does it need to be legislated.. obviously as they would not do it on their own..

Here are the nutritional values of Happy Meals.. pretty obscene.

Happy Meals

While I do not agree with more intrusive big government, there has to be some responsibility towards the consumer.. they should make greater efforts on their own... right now they are complicit with their advertising..

In the movie, "Food Inc", the final scene is about a family who can eat cheaper every night at McDonalds, rather than cook at home.. and they can even supersize it.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

AHHH Are you afraid someones going to take away your Happy Meals. :( What did you get for your last Happy Meal Toy?

I think they should get 50 years in the Big House :rolleyes:
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yep. Useless corporations like McDonalds have a right to act like azzholes and use toys to market their poisonous food to children. Corporations are people, too!
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +214 / 3 / -4

I don't have any problem with upselling, supersizing, etc. -- if you're an adult and can't resist somebody asking if you want dessert with your salad (which is probably horrendous for you anyway, if it has processed cheeses, meats and/or dressings on it), either don't go to that "restaurant," start exercising more or accept being overweight.

(Personally, I get really annoyed when the moron at a register at a store asks me if I want a bag for the 7 items I just bought -- but I don't think there should be a law against it. :) )

Happy Meals and other promotions targeting kids are different. I understand the argument behind it. Not sure if I buy it yet, but I understand it.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 2 / -9

When I go out to a restaurant I go to enjoy myself, feel good and be happy.
    I'd eat a piece of sh!t if it was cooked right with lots of salt and sugar on it.

:mad: "loons"
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Wistah...you don't seem to like any corporation. Now, I'm with you on Mickey D's (they suck), but do you (gulp) want to abolish capitalism?

Good God, my man....;)
  9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

The way i look at the happy meal deal is this, they put the toys in the happy meals and the kids associate getting a reward for eating at micky d's. Cynical me sees it as laying the ground work for future customers.They associate being rewarded with eating at Mick's. Cynical me also has bought McD stock, a fine example of cognitive dissonance.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's not true. I am incorporated myself, but I don't act like a dick, destroy the environment, kill people, steal their money or make them sick -or expect my corporate entity to have the same rights as people. And I don't believe that America was set up for my exclusive benefit and everyone else be damned. McD's serves no purpose other than to make people sick. Same goes for Phillip Morris and Monsanto.
  11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You have a point. It's a free country and if you have a legal substance for sale you should have a legal right to promote it. I'm just saying that a good company could take the lead to change the culture. Just because it's legal to do something doesn't mean you're obligated to do it, especially when you know it's harmful to kids. Keep it up long enough and there will be legislation, like it or not.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Are they really "targeting kids," though? Most children of Happy Meal age aren't old enough to go through the drive-thru on their own.

I think it's targeting the parents of kids. And since we assume most parents are reasonable capable adults it's pretty much up to them as to whether they wanna buy the kid the damn happy meal or not. Or even if they want to take them to McD in the first place.

Personally, I always took my kids to White Castle. That is when I wasn't feeding them dirt-sandwiches, Pringles and Lime Jello-Water in the backyard while we spent the afternoon laying out in the double-ringed Popeye blow-up pool soaking up rays and chewing sugared pink double-bubble gum for dessert.

Sometimes, if I was in a good mood and had the rare day off, I'd whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies and we'd skip the oven part and eat the raw dough instead. It saves on dirty dishes that way. Plus there's something about raw eggs and sugar that just tastes better.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's all well and good and if you don't like their selling tactics, you have every right to respond as a consumer and not frequent their establishments.

But I don't understand what right the government has telling McDonald's they can't give away a Matchbox car to a kid who orders a burger and fries. What comes after that? Do they illegalize the "McDonald's Playground" areas some McD's restaurants have? I guess Ronald McDonald himself should also be illegal because he is certainly marketing to children.

What about video games? Some people believe video games promote childhood obesity. Should those be illegal too? Maybe we should just fine children who don't participate in some sort of "Play-60" campaign like the NFL has. These are all logical steps taken from the arguments used to illegalize happy meals.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's amazing how some (but certainly not all) of the forum's left-leaning members line right up to march in lockstep agreement with this idea.

What I find particularly galling is how those same liberals will self-righteously proclaim that they are the ones who support individual rights and freedom, when clearly that is not even remotely the case.

Fact is liberals love nothing more than telling other people how to live.
  15. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We've done this before... Prohibition... look how well that worked out.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +299 / 10 / -26

And you wonder why no one values your opinion or likes you... :confused::confused::confused:

And the right loves to tell people what how they should think..
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, I don't wonder that because i know it is not the case. Sry to disappoint you.
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

ROFLMAO

It's also amazing that you do not "see" the forum's right-leaning members lining right up to march in lockstep agreement in the other direction.

Be that as it may, I, personally. love McD's - and all the other garbage food that's marketed.

I was not allowed to eat it as a kid....not because it was bad for me but because my parent's didn't believe in taking children out to eat. My kids grew up on it. Their kids can go to McDonalds but they are not allowed to eat the good stuff but must suffer through carrot sticks and apple juice.

I bet their kids kids will eat raw cookie dough and french fries and drink heavily sugared soft drinks.

It's a generational thing, I think. Whatever you grew up without your kids get plenty of.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +299 / 10 / -26

Your response had nothing to do with the comments, as no one advocated for more government intervention.. but in your world it might have happened ( the reality thing once again) so you felt it was your duty to bash the so called "liberals".. while in reality most agreed with your post and did not like government intervention. There was some discussion about responsibility, which you seem to have missed.. but that is not new.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You'd have to give me an example. Because what I see from conservatives is a desire to get the government out of our lives as well as to get the government to enforce laws on the books. I'd say the most major issue where you see conservatives on the other side would be abortion but that issue, in the minds of many people, is one which does indeed have a human victim.
    I used to like McDonald's but fact is that over the past 10 years their quality has gone way way way down, perhaps due to the nanny state influence. I just don't enjoy their food anymore.