PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First round of cuts must be completed Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that you believe that Kelly signing with the Cardinals would mean the end of Sopoaga there? It doesn't mean that at all. They could have BOTH. And they do play different positions. Sopoaga is a true NT while Kelly is more of a 4-3 DT/UT.
I didn't say anything is a given but I wouldn't say it helps Sopoagas chances.

I really don't want to keep going down this road (no offense meant to you, I just don't want to derail this thread when there's another one for people to talk about the trade if they wish), but because your post is a direct response to mine:

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5661/lovie-smith-tim-wright-is-struggling

No problem. The beauty of final week trades is that we get to see for ourselves how this turns out right away. Who were the final three cuts?

No problem. The beauty of final week trades is that we get to see for ourselves how this turns out right away. Who were the final three cuts?

I haven't seen them posted yet.

Edit: Here's the list

Cuts:

Bass
Hawkins
Johnson
Skinner
Thomas
Van Hooser

to IR:

Gaffney
Gordon

I really don't want to keep going down this road (no offense meant to you, I just don't want to derail this thread when there's another one for people to talk about the trade if they wish), but because your post is a direct response to mine:

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5661/lovie-smith-tim-wright-is-struggling

Huh...the young joker/h-back who caught a lot of passes under the old coach found himself on the outs with the new regime? It's uncanny! ;)

So basically, Tim Wright is who half this board thought Rob Housler was?

This week, it appears as if Smith had a plan to light a fire under Wright. On Thursday, Smith said he’s happy with what he’s seen out of Wright recently.

“He’s responded well,’’ Smith said. “Let me go back and talk on Tim. I love Tim Wright as a football player. You go through spells where you don’t play your best ball for a short period of time. When I talked [previously], there was a little period of time where Tim hadn’t played his best ball.

“But, you look at the big picture, Tim Wright has been a good football player for us. We like what he’ll be able to do. There have been other days we’ve talked about, going forward, what we’re going to do with him. You can split him out, the matchups we have with safeties and linebackers. You can catch me at any time and I might be disappointed in a player. But, big picture, no, there’s no disappointment with Tim Wright. We like him being on our football team.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-b...730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie

Hope Thomas will make it to PS. I like him.

Jemea Thomas wasn't even worth a look in the 4th preseason game, considering he barely played/practice at all this preseason?

Hope Thomas will make it to PS. I like him.
I would guess those they hope for the PS would be in the next round of cuts not this one. Maybe history would disagree with that but I'm guessing he's gone for good.

I hope we can have one or both of Tuipulotu or Manumaleuno on our PS. They seem like good guys to develop. In years past they probably would have made the teams where we had guys like Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick at DT.
Not to mention that we don't want to overwork our 4DTs recovering from injury. We need one of these guys to play next to Vellano in the 2nd half.

Honestly, I have to wonder (re: Thomas): if teams were allowed to relinquish draft picks—i.e., not make them at all, and just not have to pay the extra signing bonuses to rookies—how many of them would just dump their 6s and 7s altogether?

Seems they think they have enough depth in the secondary so can let Thomas go.

Shame, but he isn't the first sixth rounder to be binned, and certainly won't be the last

Now trade Mallet for a 4th and I'm ok.

Looks like the other moves were Cameron Gordon to the IR and the release of Jemea Thomas and Ben Bass.

Wright was so far back into Lovie's good graces that they just shipped him off.

Come on. Use your head.

Yep, we have to conclude the Bucs weren't high on Wright for this season...and that the Patriots weren't high on Mankins for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes