PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First looking to 2015: Tight ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Gronk finally seems to be back to 100% of what he's going to be moving forward. He seems slightly lessened in comparison to his pre-injury days, but he's probably still the best all-around TE in the game, and he's still an incredibly difficult cover.

Wright played in a grand total of 10 snaps, out of a possible 217, in the playoffs. To put that further into context, According to Mike Reiss, Matthew Slater had as many snaps at WR in the Super Bowl (2) as Wright took at tight end.

Hoomanawanui continues to be the team's TE2, particularly when it comes to blocking.

This team needs to look at improving their TE2 position. If the team thinks Wright's the answer, the playoffs sure didn't show it. Maybe it's thought that he needs the offseason to mesh, but this position definitely needs more production moving forward. My quess is that the team will look to bring in another pass catching tight end.

Disappointing Wright never really built much off that big Bengals game but gotta give him more time to learn this offense. Could be the piece that solifies depth for WR/TE.

Gronk finally seems to be back to 100% of what he's going to be moving forward. He seems slightly lessened in comparison to his pre-injury days, but he's probably still the best all-around TE in the game, and he's still an incredibly difficult cover.

I'm gonna give Gronk another year before I admit that he wont get back to where he was in 2011 but you're probably right. He's still the best tight end in the game though.

Wright played in a grand total of 10 snaps, out of a possible 217, in the playoffs. To put that further into context, According to Mike Reiss, Matthew Slater had as many snaps at WR in the Super Bowl (2) as Wright took at tight end.

Hoomanawanui continues to be the team's TE2, particularly when it comes to blocking.

This team needs to look at improving their TE2 position. If the team thinks Wright's the answer, the playoffs sure didn't show it. Maybe it's thought that he needs the offseason to mesh, but this position definitely needs more production moving forward. My quess is that the team will look to bring in another pass catching tight end.

Yes, the team is likely to bring in another pass catching TE or two or three. Competition is good. However, my gut feeling is that Wright will given time to develop.

Guys are almost always better in year two when coming off acl injuries.

Wright seems very inconsistent to me. I know he ran only a fraction of the route tree, probably because he missed camp, but what he did run was not always sharp or crisp.

I still think that if the pats use cannon at left tackle and make solder a tackle eligible, solder could do some damage in the red zone.

I'm not sure I agree there is a drop-off in Gronk's game from his pre-injury days. Maybe at the start of the year. But in the heart of the year, he was as much a beast as ever. His production was very similar to 2011. If you look at weeks 5-15, especially.

I agree about TE2.

I'm not saying tight end is our top off season priority but it definitely would be nice to see some more consistency out of our 2nd or 3rd tight ends in the passing game. Wright showed some flashes and hopefully next year he'll be even better but why not draft a tight end with some talent and maybe bring in a free agent or two.

I'm gonna give Gronk another year before I admit that he wont get back to where he was in 2011 but you're probably right. He's still the best tight end in the game though.

Probably? Who in the league would be better than him ?

Rec - 4th
Yards - 1st
TD - 1st
20+ - 1st
1st downs - 1st

part of looking at TE's in the draft is not only to free up Gronk, but also acting as Gronk insurance. As of now Hooman is in there almost solely for blocking, and Wright is in almost solely for receiving. I think the biggest shift in Wrights playing time occured with the swith to heavier run sets, with the additions of gray and Blounte. That is not the sole reason for his fall off, and it would be interesting to hear more about what changed. Another detail attached to Wright being off the field, it also coincided with Amendola getting #2 receiver numbers.

I am not sure what that means going forward, but depending on what they are looking for, there are a lot of options available.

balanced TE- gronk'ish
Maxx williams 1st
Jeff Heureman 3-4th
Clive Walford 3-5th

receiving TE- wright-ish
Devin Funchess 1st
Tyler Kroft 3-5th

Blocking TE- hooman-ish
Jesse James 5th-udfa
Eric Tomlinson 6th-udfa
Cameron Clear 7th-udfa

Those are probably far too simple a breakdown, as each player has different skill sets, but for my money, i would look at either of the first 3 names, or Jesse James. We need another outlaw at TE.

I'm not sure I agree there is a drop-off in Gronk's game from his pre-injury days. Maybe at the start of the year. But in the heart of the year, he was as much a beast as ever. His production was very similar to 2011. If you look at weeks 5-15, especially.

I agree about TE2.

Go take a look at his first couple of seasons. Just focus on his athleticism, running power and his overall physical ability. Coming off the ACL, he may look better next year, but we also may have to accept that 100% new Gronk is not as good as old Gronk.

also, Hooman has probably the easiest contract to cut, so as reliable as he has been in his role, with finances as tight as they are, he could be seen as easier to replace.

Jesse James is allergic to blocking. My draft binkie is Blake Bell - Oklahoma. He's 6'6" 250lb. Former qb. He's a good athlete. Dad(Mark) played in the NFL. Has the bloodlines. Physique wise he reminds me a little of Jason Witten. Not saying he's that good a prospect. Just that he's a big SOB.

Go take a look at his first couple of seasons. Just focus on his athleticism, running power and his overall physical ability.

totally agree. He is now a much smarter player, and has a lot more attention drawn to him, so his level of dominance is still equally impressive, but I find it hard to believe people dont see the drop off in athleticsm.

He is the best and will continue to be the best, but tight end is a gruelling position to play, and very hard on the body.

I'm satisfied with the TE'S group. I am pretty sure that Hooman going to be a cap casualty . However , every time they were involved in the offensive plan , Hooman and Wright responded very well. For example in the Ravens game . I think that just as Edelman needed opportunities to stand out, they could contribute more if JMD wished.

Last edited:
also, Hooman has probably the easiest contract to cut, so as reliable as he has been in his role, with finances as tight as they are, he could be seen as easier to replace.
How many years do we have to say this is in order for Belichick to take our advice? Hooman does his job.

A couple of free agent possibilities, acknowledging that cost obviously could be an issue:

Jordan Cameron wants out of Cleveland. He'd be a great option for a lot of teams, but the concussion issue (3 in 2 seasons) is going to make a lot of teams hesitate.

Charles Clay from Miami is coming off a season with a knee injury. He still had 58 receptions and, at 6-3 245, he might be a good choice to fill the (on the field) Hernandez role.

Owen Daniels, if you think he's got another year left in him

Ed ****son, if you really want to buy cheap and take a big gamble on an injury prone player

How many years do we have to say this is in order for Belichick to take our advice? Hooman does his job.

yep, and so do 52 other guys. I said he was easier to cut, doesnt mean he will be.

I honestly have no idea what is the plan for the position, last season we were all sure they would address either via draft or FA and nothing happened, they went with Gronk only with all the questions about his injuries. Only on the last week of pre season they pulled the Mankins trade and acquired Wright. That certainly was not a designed plan but an opportunity.

I think another pass catcher TE will add a new dimension to this offense, because no one will be able to cover our speedy receivers and 2 physical TE's. When Hooman is on the field he makes easy catches because no one plans for him.

I totally agree that TE2 still looks like a spot to upgrade -- I'm surprised that the position seems to have disappeared from draft discussions.

That said, can we give the Patriots props for not panicking and overdrafting one of last year's stiffs (a non-move that was called "inexcusable" by some here?) The 5 TEs taken in the first 65 picks in the draft combined for 6 TDs on the year, the same number that Tim Wright put up. His receptions and yardage easily eclipsed their averages too.

what about the miami player who had his knee wrecked by that rookie safety, Swearinger. He's from Purdue originally and had been a jet. Forgot his name. His career is over from one knee injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back