PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First I've seen both teams take a knee at the end of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the New Orleans-Dallas game, the Saints were destroying the Cowboys and continued to march down the field in the waning minutes of the game. That is, until they reached the Cowboys ten yard line. Sean Payton, coach of the Saints, called for four straight kneel downs, turning the ball over on downs with two minutes to play.

The Cowboys, getting the ball with two minutes to play, in turn took two kneel downs themselves to end the game.

More often then not you will see the losing team try to get a touchdown in the closing minutes/seconds of the game just to save face even in the face of inevitable defeat.

Is this the smart way to go? Should more losing teams do this instead of risking an injury in an attempt to score a meaningless touchdown.

I suppose it also has to do with whether or not the losing team is going to make the playoffs or not. I suppose a team that is not going to make the playoffs anyways is not too concerned about injuries.

just a thought

Last edited:
This was a weird ending to that game. I thought Sean Payton was trying to make it up to Parcells after calling that on-side kick that caught the Cowboys completely off guard and embarassed them!

First of all, I completely dislike the kneel down play. It is NOT football. I would like to see the NFL adopt a rule that in order for the clock to keep running, the offensive team MUST gain positive yardage on a play. That is the rule in the Arena League and it prevents that dumb kneel down play.
They've earned the right to do it over 58-59 minutes.

There was absolutly no way the Saints were going to lose or the Cowboys were going to win. In that situation, with the game being a blowout, both team just wanted to end the game. The rules state you must run plays to make the clock run.

Remember a few years ago, when the Pats lost to the Dolphins in the last game of the season and for some reason there was a couple seconds left on the clock, and the Dolphins had to come back on the field, after they were in the shower? If they didn't they would have forefitted? Now that was rediculous. The Pats lost, the game was over, but league rules made both teams come back (execpt the Patriots were still on the field) to take one more play. So if the game is over but the clock doesn't know it, just run it down and end it. But, if there is still a reasonable chance for a different outcome, then play it out.

Last edited:
Its also like staying in a move until the house lights come on before you leave. The movie over but the credits are still running so you have to stay. In that game monday night, the game was over and the last two minutes were just the credits

I have no problem with the kneel down play. Football has a bunch of dumb rules and this one is far from one of the the things that concern me. It really doesn't matter if an official had screwed up and given someone the lead, that's part of the game, as much as we do not want to see it happen.

That was nothing unique. The same thing happened in the Cowboys' game just two weeks earlier, except that Dallas was on the winning end (38-10). The Cowboys kneeled on it after the two-minute warning, then the Bucs took a knee to end the game.

First of all, I completely dislike the kneel down play. It is NOT football. I would like to see the NFL adopt a rule that in order for the clock to keep running, the offensive team MUST gain positive yardage on a play. That is the rule in the Arena League and it prevents that dumb kneel down play.

So if a QB gets sacked the clock stops? Seems like it wouldn't make sense, I mean, if a team wants to "run" the ball for -1 yard they should be allowed to. If the NFL starts taking cues from the Arena league I think we're in trouble!

Sweet. So if you are running the no-huddle at the end of the game, out of timeouts, the defense sure as hell better not sack the QB. And if no one is open, he can just kneel down, stop the clock, and regroup the offense.

It works both ways.

The kneel down IS football. It's sound strategy, which is what football is all about.

so running a play and risk have a player injured is better than running out the clock?

sorry give me the player safety first over a macho, fight to the end type of mentality when the price you pay could be you Left tackle, Back-up QB or RB.

I am man enough to say let them kneel if they choose.

and positive yards? In case you didn't notice it is the NFL not the Arena - the replacement league - football - I disagree

Last edited:
The kneel down is a sign of sportsmanship, NEM. After two teams play 59 minutes of intense football, it's a sign of respect in both directions. You'd rather they run up the score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back