Welcome to PatsFans.com

First Illegal Arrested Under Alabama's New Law!!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Alabama's controversial new immigration law is less than a week old and officials say they've already made their first arrest for its violation.

A man identified as Yemeni national was arrested after he could produce no immigration papers. The 24-year-old, Mohamed Ali Muflahi, was taken into custody in Etowah County during a drug raid Friday.

After learning of the arrest, several Alabama state senators drafted a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder demanding the Justice Department drop its legal challenges to the state's immigration law.

The letter was set to be released to the media Tuesday morning, but the news conference was cancelled for unspecified reasons. The letter requests that Holder launch an investigation into how a citizen of Yemen settled in Alabama without detection or documentation.

Yemen is "a growing hotbed of Islamic radicalism and an operating base for the al-Qaeda terrorist network," state senator Bryan Taylor's office said

First person charged with violating Ala. immigration law - WSFA 12 News Montgomery, AL |

Unfortunately, after spending a 3 day weekend in jail, the detainee's lawyer produced his papers proving he was here legally - seems Mr. Muflahi, the only one held, simply did not have his wallet on him at the time of his arrest.

The only charge against him, obstructing a government operation by being in the country illegally, was dropped.

Suspect from Yemen turns out to be legal in Alabama | GadsdenTimes.com

Suspect from Yemen turns out to be legal in Alabama | GadsdenTimes.com

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

how is that unfortunate?

they wanted to kick out a guy who legally had papers ?

what in the ****? lol

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

But, he was clearly a person of color, so it makes sense they targeted him and held him for 3 days.

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure, Patters. All of America is racist. That's why so many "brown people" (as you liberals love to call them) are doing everything they can to come here. :rolleyes:

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Hey, let's do away with the entire justice system, since some innocent people sometimes end up in jail. [​IMG]

Hmmm....

So If I have this right, a Yemeni national for whom I'm going to presume, english was a second language, gets pinched at a drug raid where weapons are found, and the police did what wrong exactly? :confused2:

Oh, and...

Plus...

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

No one said that all of the United States is racist. Far from it.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Of course he told them that; otherwise their action might be seen as racist. Good for you for standing by the officers of the law. Funny that they released him after finding illegal weapons and other items deemed dangerous. Must have been pretty heavy duty stuff, or a way to rationalize the arrest.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

Oh now you dun it Patters.

Officers of the law never, ever say anything to cover bad actions. You're a cop-killer. Rhetorically that is. You're not fit to lace Sheriff Lobo's boots. And another thing, if they casually pepper sprayed a crowd of 20-something women, they were clearly about to be mobbed by them. Oh yeah and slamming a guy with a video camera into a car hood? THAT CAMERA COULD HAVE BEEN LOADED!!!!

Patriot Act - South Park Style - YouTube

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Teach the ass holes to carry their papers with them and tell their lawyers not to try and get in touch with Holder, he's busy right now.

:bricks:
    "come to america free stuff, bring your grandmother"
    ALLAH ACKBAR

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Either that or we could make them wear stars on their clothing, perhaps a yellow star if they are illegal and a blue star is they are legal.. or better still a tattoo on their forehead if they are illegal, and if they become legal then you could put a slash across it.. that would solve everything.

Fade to Wagners, The Ride of the Valkyries

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Apparently they did not arrest him for being at a drug raid or for having weapons since they let him go after dropping the one charge they were holding him on - which was bogus.

And, as far as I know, having a language other than english is not grounds for arrest. If it is, all of my grandparents were guilty of a crime. Probably some of your's, too.

12. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +662 / 13 / -28

this is wrong......

but going around the world and assassinating american citizens is.....A OK

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

LOL, me defending officers of the law? how many times have I posted critical articles and opinions about the police, and assorted other authoritiorian agencies? :rolleyes:

Since the articles linked have little information, I can only go by what is written in them. According to the links provided by the OP no less, it states the man was picked up during a drug raid, where weapons were present. It also states that the arab man with no identification stated he was not here legally. Do you have something that says differently?

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

I don't think I've left the house without an ID since I was 13 years old, and knowing the way things are today because of the Invasion Of Illegal Alien Criminals if I had "brown skin" I'd have my ID hanging around my neck ALL DAY and IN BED, thats just Common Sense.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Your linked article.

My entire family would be if that were the case. It isn't though. My simple point was that a person who speaks less that perfect english would likely be someone who wasn't born here. While not being born here, or speaking broken english, doesn't in any way certify an individual isn't a citizen (or here legally), it does increase the likelyhood exponentially. That's all.

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Cool...I'm looking forward to the second one...and the third...and so on.

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Wouldn't that be "profiling," which is something they claim is not going to happen?

I often leave the house without my wallet or ID. If I am running across the street to the store, I grab a few dollars to pay for whatever it is I am shopping for and that's it. If I'm not driving, if there's no possibility that I'm going to have to drive, I take either some money, my debit card or a credit card and forego carrying a purse because it's easier.

If there was a robbery at 7-11 while I was there - or if I'm out somewhere else and there's a disturbance and the police are called and they start checking IDs - what are the odds that I'm going to spend the weekend in jail even though I cannot produce a driver's license or a photo ID? Even in Alabama?

What if my mother-in-law is with me? She has a thick accent - she's very hard to understand at times. She's old and no longer has a driver's license or current photo ID. Does she get to spend the weekend in jail because she couldn't produce an ID and has a foreign accent?

I know you're going to tell me that we'd have to be "arrested on other charges," but the Yemen man in question was obviously NOT arrested on other charges since they released him immediately when his lawyer produced his papers - after dropping the one charge they were holding him on - which was not being able to prove he was here legally.

So, what was he "arrested" for that made it legal for them to question his right to be in this country?

Or was he not arrested for anything else at all?

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Yeah, eventually they'll have to get it right, won't they? Never mind how many times they get it wrong, of course. Or how many people needlessly spend the weekend in jail - being exposed to all sorts of criminal elements and possible rapes, assaults, physical or mental anguish, children being taken away by Social Service because their parent is in jail, their job lost because they did not show up for work, etc..

It's like the death penalty - ya gotta kill a few innocent ones to make sure the guilty ones die, too.

You do entirely too much rejoicing over the misfortune of other people, PR. What's up with that? First you thought it was cool that people in other countries were suffering because of economic reasons so that "we" could learn from them and now this.

What's up with that?

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

The "Blame America Liberals" do not understand Common Sense or REALITY.

20. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

I leave the house without ID several times per day (running, taking dogs for walk, etc.).

There's nothing wrong with it, nor should there be unless you want to live in an authoritarian (i.e., big government) state.