PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Guess at the 2006 Starting Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Assuming no draftees crack the starting lineup, here is my first guess at the 2006 starting lineup:

QB: Tom Brady
FB: Heath Evans
RB: Corey Dillon
LT: Matt Light
LG: Logan Mankins
C: Dan Koppen
RG: Stephen Neal
RT: Nick Kazcur
WR: Deion Branch
WR: Reche Caldwell
TE: Ben Watson

DE: Richard Seymour
DT: Vince Wilfork
DT: Ty Warren
DE Jarvis Green
LB: Mike Vrabel
LB: Tedy Bruschi
LB: Rosy Colvin
CB: Asante Samuel
CB: Eric Warfield
S: Rodney Harrison
S: Eugene Wilson

K: Mafata Shimeo
P: Josh Miller
LS: Lonnie Paxton

Yes, I had to go 4-3 because we just don't have the linebackers (TBC, Ryan Claridge?)...

But, other than LB, we look pretty damn good, IMO...

I am looking forward to this season and the fire in Brady & Bruschi's bellies after the Denver debacle to close out '05!

ADPF

Ok, I give up--who is Mafata Shimeo?

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Yes, I had to go 4-3 because we just don't have the linebackers (TBC, Ryan Claridge?)...
But that's cheating since you know we won't do that. ;)

And you've got Evans bumping Pass out of the FB slot? Not unless he suddenly learns to block like a fullback over the offseason. If Heath sticks, I think it's as depth as an ace back, depending on what happens in the draft.

Question marks from your line up, not to be pessimistic, but my notes are real questions.

Heath - back up - not a starter

Dillon - Is he 2004 or is he 2005?

Koppen - will he return healthy?

Light - Again, lingerin gdoubt about his leg, should be OK - but is a ?

Caldwell - is he #2 or does he not even make the team?

Seymour - Is he a holdout?

Green - I do not think we go 4-3, so he is out, I do think Claridge or a rookie will be the surprise of camp and starts.

Warfield - starter? I dunno...

Harrison - does he make it back tro start? Does he make it back, period?

Shimeo - Love the guy...errr... Who is he??

You might as well put the cards out as they are and that means a 3-4, even if you don't like the result.

I assume at this time it would be :

LOLB - Vrabel
ILB - Beisel
ILB - Bruschi
ROLB - Colvin

But will change by opening day.

Last edited:
Some good replies - I won't quote all of them, since there are too many.

My three cents: (inflation)

• Dillon is being paid to start and will.
  • Evans is a long shot. Pass probably still has FB role in a 2 man RB set and 3rd down and long.
  • For 1st and 2nd down running plays - more likely to be a TE f-back with 2 TE - or 3 WR.
  • Caldwell looks like a long shot. Still free agency and draft possibilities.
  • It will be a base 3-4 defense.
  • Candidates for LOLB - Banta-Cain, Claridge, free agent, rookie, probably in that order. Jarvis Green ??
  • Beisel is a real long shot to even make the roster.
  • Warfield is a long shot. Hobbs and Gay will be fighting for right corner with both of them being in nickel.
  • Warfield looks like a good bet for dime. Later in the season, Warfield may have a shot at right corner.
  • Harrison will start. Hawkins should see a fair amount of time for the first part of the season.

Last edited:
Mainefan said:
Ok, I give up--who is Mafata Shimeo?

Maine:

Mafata Shimeo is like an inside joke in my "set"...anytime someone can't remember a name, we'll throw out two names - Mafata Shimeo and Sefarkus Knuckles...

This joke originally started with my good friend Fred Cohan, who tragically passed away too early at age 47 last year.

For example, if one of us says, "You remember that guy from so-so awhile back?"

Another will answer, "You mean Mafata Shimeo?"

"No, No..."

"Oh, you must be referring to Sefarkus Knuckles, then?"

No real meaning to it...just playful fodder...

We even had one guy going to a cigar shop asking for "Mafata Shimeo #2 Torpedos"!

Guess you had to be there!

ADPF

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
But that's cheating since you know we won't do that. ;)

And you've got Evans bumping Pass out of the FB slot? Not unless he suddenly learns to block like a fullback over the offseason. If Heath sticks, I think it's as depth as an ace back, depending on what happens in the draft.

true, true...

I could have stayed in the 3-4 and used Monty Beisel, but...

I like Heath Evans over Pass (no knock on Pass) and they just signed Heath to a 3-year deal, didn't they...

I'm thinking they have plans for him...

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Well, it is what it is and right now Beisel is probably the best option. It's either him or Claridge inside or TBC outside.

And the 4-3 option, while getting Green on the field instead of Beisel, leaves Bruschi in the middle by himself - he may never have had the speed for that and he certainly doesn't now.

It's 3-4 or bust, baby.

arrellbee said:
  • Caldwell looks like a long shot. Still free agency and draft possibilities.
  • Beisel is a real long shot to even make the roster.
  • Warfield is a long shot. Hobbs and Gay will be fighting for right corner with both of them being in nickel.
As for the 3 long shots...long shots for starting?? Maybe.. Caldwell yes..he's maybe more of a 3rd 4th depending..but that could change. I think Warfield will be in the mix of CB S..again depending on who is stronger and who might be better in a sub package. Closer than a long shot. Learning year for Beisel...he's making a transition..needs time. Unless he goes down hill a lot more, or does something un-patriotic...he'll be on the team.

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:
true, true...

I like Heath Evans over Pass (no knock on Pass) and they just signed Heath to a 3-year deal, didn't they...

I'm thinking they have plans for him...
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure a 3 year contract is even an indication that Evans will make the final roster. It seems like a 3 year contract without a significant signing bonus is just a free option package for the Pats - so why wouldn't they if the player is willing to sign one ? It was sort of discussed in another thread. One year contracts are more likely to be because the player didn't want to get tied up for short money for more than a year when the extra years wouldn't have guaranteed him anything if the Pats were inclined to cut him. And then he would be tied up for short money for several seasons even if he had a solid breakout year and could have commanded more money on the free agent market.

On the CB, I think Hobbs will start with Warfield. Gay and Scott will be really nice backups and nickel/dime guys. Samuel, I expect, will take the slot WR so he won't "start" but will play an awful lot. I don't say this because I think Warfield is "better" than Samuel, just that I think Samuel is best suited in this role.

BB doesn't use a FB in the traditional sense of the term (like Mack Strong, for example).

Pass and Evans are hybrid FB that fit our spread offense perfectly. Pass is the starter, and Evans answers the question, who is our back-up FB? Klecko probably doesn't make the team this year, at least as the back-up FB.

Pats726 said:
As for the 3 long shots...long shots for starting??
Yes. For starting - I should have been clearer.

Pats726 said:
Maybe.. Caldwell yes..he's maybe more of a 3rd 4th depending..but that could change. I think Warfield will be in the mix of CB S..again depending on who is stronger and who might be better in a sub package. Closer than a long shot.
Each year, probably just optimism, I have looked at the free agent signings and been fairly optimistic that they are going to be really significant contributors - especially if we have a need at the position. Then I see what happens - many of these guys that looked so potentially important end up actually getting cut before the season. So maybe I've swung too far in the other direction and think that many of these guys are just camp fodder that are only long shot possibilities. Certainly impossible to know until we see what Belichick decides !!

Pats726 said:
Learning year for Beisel...he's making a transition..needs time. Unless he goes down hill a lot more, or does something un-patriotic...he'll be on the team.
Well, we'll just have to have differing opinions. If the Pats have any luck at all in further free agency or the draft, I don't think he has any chance to make the roster.
My detailed observations on Beisel:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=74182&postcount=15

PATRIOTS-80 said:
BB doesn't use a FB in the traditional sense of the term (like Mack Strong, for example).

Pass and Evans are hybrid FB that fit our spread offense perfectly. Pass is the starter, and Evans answers the question, who is our back-up FB? Klecko probably doesn't make the team this year, at least as the back-up FB.

I like the way offense feels when Evans is on the field...

He's got good hands and he can be a change-up back with Dillon in there as a backup...

Pass just kind of leaves me bland...

I know he's done some nice work for us in the past, he just doesn't get me excited!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Graham or Watson back there...just to get them both on the field at once...

BelichickFan said:
On the CB, I think Hobbs will start with Warfield. Gay and Scott will be really nice backups and nickel/dime guys. Samuel, I expect, will take the slot WR so he won't "start" but will play an awful lot. I don't say this because I think Warfield is "better" than Samuel, just that I think Samuel is best suited in this role.

I disagree. Samuel will start.

BelichickFan said:

yeah, I agree. Wasn't Warfield the #2 CB for the Chiefs the last couple of years.

As far as NFL standards, Samuels, Hobbs and Warfield are #2 type CB. Randall Gay could be also considered a #2, at least a nickel. Chad Scott is probably considered as far as NFL standards as an excellent nickel back/safety. Poteat is definitely a dime back.

Because of our lack of depth at these positions, like it or not, Caldwell and Beisel will contribute to this team. My reasoning is that there are no better options in FA for WR than Caldwell, and more than likely a rookie WR is going to start out in the slot. One just cannot pencil Troy Brown in at #2, he's more of a clutch third down possession WR right now. (Of course, a miracle trade could happen that lands us a #2, but who knows.)

As far as Beisel contributing this year, my reasoning is that he is the primary ILB depth LB. Because of play-calling (which requires vet savvy) its easier to get a rookie OLB, than to try to fill the ILB. So my thinking is that Vrabel stays inside, along with Tedy, and Colvin and a rookie 1st round pick will be outside. Beisel will probably see some action inside just so the ILB corp doesn't wear down, and to keep them healthy, just like we'll probably see Claridge or TBC see some action outside. (Rememer the days when BB would rotate the OLB, Willie, Vrabel and Colvin, and the ILB, Phifer, Ted Johnson, Bruschi?) If either Bruschi or Vrabel goes down, who else would you put at ILB?

Last edited:
People saw Beisel get pushed around a lot last year. The reason is simple. He is not a vet in this system, so he doesn't have the savvy.

And he weighs a measly 238 lbs. BB at camp wanted him to bulk up. When Vrabel weighs 266 lbs, and Ted Johnson in the 250's, its easy to see why Besiel had problems. Tis but a matter of physics.

ILB have to take on and shed interior linemen who weigh over 300 lbs. ILB is not easy.

My hunch is that if Beisel can pack on the weight, he'll do better than he did last year. He really didn't do that bad in the Jaguar game at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Patrick Pass will always start ahead of Heath Evans, if we draft a back he may get cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back