PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Female to Tryout for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can she rush the Passer??
39.gif

There's no comparison between elite sportsmen and elite sportswomen. As Deus has mentioned, it's physiological. Look at the difference between the Men's and Women's 100 Metres World Record.

This isn't relevant to the issue at hand, which is about an individual woman who wants to compete. Making statements about all women vs. all men is irrelevant.

Her situation needs to be treated as an individual one. It is the root of all bigotry to make sweeping statements about a class of people and then use that statement to justify the treatment of an individual. It is also lazy intellectually, unconstitutional when turned into policy, and un-American when turned into social norms.

If one of the previous posters is correct and this football player isn't really qualified and is simply creating a promotional opportunity to advance a personal business interest, then she should just be ignored as another person who will corrupt something on the way to personal gain. On the other hand, if she does all the tasks necessary for the job, and does them better than the competition, then she's earned the job.

I don't know what all the angst is about. Let her tryout. Who cares? There is no way she is going to make it based on size and strength alone. There is no reason to exclude her because she is a woman. Physics will take care of it. And for the .0001% of woman that might have the physical size and strength to actually compete in the NFL? Money would make it less desirable as they would make much more playing in some other sport where they could dominate other women. The chance that a woman would ever play in the NFL is nil.

I think the whole thing about a woman being hit on the field is silly. Either she has the size and strength or she doesn't. If she does then she is probably going to be able to take the hits just as well as a man would.

She is cute though, I was expecting Nick Mangold's sister......

The NFL needs a woman that can take a hit.

Attachments

• Roseanne B.jpg
    Roseanne B.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 31
This isn't relevant to the issue at hand, which is about an individual woman who wants to compete. Making statements about all women vs. all men is irrelevant.

Her situation needs to be treated as an individual one. It is the root of all bigotry to make sweeping statements about a class of people and then use that statement to justify the treatment of an individual. It is also lazy intellectually, unconstitutional when turned into policy, and un-American when turned into social norms.

If one of the previous posters is correct and this football player isn't really qualified and is simply creating a promotional opportunity to advance a personal business interest, then she should just be ignored as another person who will corrupt something on the way to personal gain. On the other hand, if she does all the tasks necessary for the job, and does them better than the competition, then she's earned the job.

How is it intellectually lazy, unconstitutional and un-American to duly recognize and honor inherent gender differences? By your definition, the WNBA is institutionalized bigotry. Men and women are equal but different, and certainly aren't "interchangeable" in all of life's pursuits. Sometimes, common sense trumps PC idealism.

I don't know what all the angst is about. Let her tryout. Who cares? There is no way she is going to make it based on size and strength alone. There is no reason to exclude her because she is a woman. Physics will take care of it. And for the .0001% of woman that might have the physical size and strength to actually compete in the NFL? Money would make it less desirable as they would make much more playing in some other sport where they could dominate other women. The chance that a woman would ever play in the NFL is nil.

I think the whole thing about a woman being hit on the field is silly. Either she has the size and strength or she doesn't. If she does then she is probably going to be able to take the hits just as well as a man would.

You make some fair points. But there is a good reason most sports are segregated along gender lines and women definitely should be excluded from the NFL for reasons that are quite clear. (They DO have their own tackle football leagues.) As I mentioned in an earlier post, someone on the NFL level has given this ludicrous fantasy legs (no pun intended). Seems like exploitative pandering no one needs.

Science has proven physiological differences between a male athlete at his physical peak and a female athlete at her physical peak. If we're talking about a kicker, this is a female athlete that, as has been admitted throughout the thread, more than likely is not at her physical peak. But based upon your first two paragraphs, you seem resigned to this fact so I have to think that you posted just to argue based on emotion. Either that, or I completely misunderstood the point you were trying to make...

Topless pictures of the NFL's first female player -- Not Safe For Work...

Link

No, they're completely relevant, which is why men aren't usually allowed to play in women's leagues. I'm sorry that you've been so thoroughly inculcated with nonsensical PC thought that you can't see that.

Every point listed in this paragraph is wrong.

Earning the job is not the only issue.

The Official Website of the Independent Women's Football League: Roster

OK, let's go case by individual case....YOU state unequivocally that this is bigotry if she is not allowed to try out for and then play for an NFL team....while shunning the obvious opportunity to play in an established national women's league.

OK...let's play the "on an individual basis" game and insist on complete and utter equality...and let's use a different sport(since you insist that it's bigotry if ANY opportunity to individually compete is breached)....let's use ice hockey as a gender norming test tube...

here's the B.U. women's hockey roster...

Official Women's Ice Hockey Roster - Official Website of the Boston University Department of Athletics

the biggest woman on this roster is 5'11" with most between the 5'6" to 5'8" range.

Using a hypothetical that certainly could become reality, as Title IX has so starkly demonstrated, the BU men's team is dismantled just as the PC men's baseball team was. OK, then you have MEN who want to play collegiate hockey as students of B.U. According to you, on an individual basis, any single man should not EVER be excluded from trying out and making the B.U. hockey team that's left, due to Title IX.

OK...Zdeno Chiara's 6'8" 280 pound son, Georgi wants to play for BU on the only hockey team that exists and , because individually, it's un-American and bigoted to prevent him from doing so, he makes the team. Let's sweeten the pot a little at this point....YOUR daughter, 5'6" 150 pound Penny Betters, is a winger. First practice with the new gender normed Chiara on the ice, she goes into the corner for a puck and gets crosschecked by Chiara hard into the boards.Six months later ,after screws and metal rods have been surgically implanted in the broken vertebrae she suffered, and she comes home to live the rest of her life in a wheel chair eating meals from a straw, YOU, the champion of absolute and complete gender norming ,on an individual basis of course, will still be extolling the virtue of your PC stance,in this case substituting he for she... if he does all the tasks necessary for the job, and does them better than the competition, then he's earned the job....that's right , he earned it...and your daughter is a crippled vegetable as a result. Sure, I can see you out there with a bullhorn railing against the gross inequities of these bigoted, un-American animals who would try to prevent such a tragic circumstance.

Anyone who read today's Boston Globe saw a story about the MA state wrestling championships. A girl won a state championship, beating a boy from Winchester.

I don't think it will take too many decades before a woman could be a top-32 kicker or punter.

No Necessary Roughness references yet?

You missed it.. I made it in my OP..

wait...let's not forget the poor kids...after all, it's equality for all or bust!!!!~for all of you hell bent on seeing a woman on an NFL playing field competing then you will have to also agree that 12 year old kids belong there too, using the same PC parameters, right?

12 Year Old Kicks 60 Yard Field Goal - YouTube

Sorry, Joker, but you've got to the absurd.. The 12 year old would only qualify if they'd been out of HS for 3 years...

except that this is going to happen...and then...the genie is out of the bottle...how many billions of times has this happened in the course of human history? it's entropic...you introduce a new variable into a closed system you CHANGE That system irreparably.

it's a shameless pandering play to the emotions of those addicted to the "next new thing!!!" in this whacked out, narcissistic society.

extrapolating this out to further ridiculous parameters, why not try out Labrador retrievers as wide receivers?...they take to command instructions perfectly from the master(QB), have five times the burst and speed of any human NFL receiver and have proven to be absolute masters of the jump and snag frisbee moves...just sub the football for the frisbee and there you go, even MORE new fans to the NFL game gone Three Stooges loony.

Then you can thank the NFL Owners, Joker, because they are the ones who approved the change in the rules..

If a woman can kick better than any of the men trying out then it makes no sense to block them from playing. And if she can cover and tackle better than Kyle Arrington then give her his number.

Just a side note on this issue:

The two positions where a woman would be less likely to be involved in contact, and more likely to be able to compete given the limited area of skill required, are kicker and punter...

... and the NFL is moving in the direction of eliminating at least one of those positions.

Good for her, but realistically she'll never make it. You have to be a freak athlete to play in the NFL. A woman in top physical condition will not be more athletic than a man in top physical condition.

To be fair, she really just has to be more athletic than, say, Ryan Longwell. Unlikely, but I dunno if it's impossible. Either way, no harm in a tryout. If she's good enough to be in the pros, then that's really all there is to it.

How is it intellectually lazy, unconstitutional and un-American to duly recognize and honor inherent gender differences? By your definition, the WNBA is institutionalized bigotry. Men and women are equal but different, and certainly aren't "interchangeable" in all of life's pursuits. Sometimes, common sense trumps PC idealism.

You make some fair points. But there is a good reason most sports are segregated along gender lines and women definitely should be excluded from the NFL for reasons that are quite clear. (They DO have their own tackle football leagues.) As I mentioned in an earlier post, someone on the NFL level has given this ludicrous fantasy legs (no pun intended). Seems like exploitative pandering no one needs.

I think you have actually touched upon the best reason for segregating men and woman's sports. It would be grossly unfair if in the name of equality men were suddenly allowed to compete for spots on women's teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back