PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Female to Tryout for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rheaume never played a game that mattered for the Lightning, much less become their starting goalie. She played in an exhibition game.

She was a freak show and a publicity stunt, nothing more.

Yeah I took the starting out before you posted this. I didnt realize she only played an exhibition game though. But even still she played several years in professional minor leagues and while her promotion to the pros may have been a gimmick the minors were not. And just the fact that she was considered for the gimmick goes to show that she was a heck of a lot closer to one of the best goalies in the world than most men dream of.

Again I am not saying that they should be in the pro's or that even can legitimately make it giving differing body types but if they can then why would anyone be against it.

It says she can kick 60 plus yard FGs and I am sure she can but I question wether she could do it in the 2-3 seconds required with a DL rushing at you? But if she could consistantly hit FGs and be accurate and kick off the same distances too then I would be happy to have her. I would suspect that being able to hit a 60 plus yarder is no where near the same feat as being able to regularly hit 40 yarders with pro teams coming at you and I assume that is why this is just a gimmick.

This thread's going to get tossed over into the political wing at this pace, so before it does I'll just say that using the police and fire departments as an example is a really bad choice, given the accomodations that have been made (different entrance requirements, for example) in order to get women into those fields.

Look I am not trying to debate the hypocrisy of affirmative action (is this the right term or is this just racism not sexism) but I know a few women who are firemen and policemen and they are in better shape than most men I see in those fields and while they likely have some limitations I would say they are not more than the average male in the field.

While it would be extremely rare for them to reach the peaks that some of the strongest men in their fields can, which is why they likely wont be able to make the pros, they can clearly acheive to be higher than the average.

Look I am not trying to debate the hypocrisy of affirmative action but I know a few women who are firemen and policemen and they are in better shape than most men I see in those fields and while they likely have some limitations I would say they are not more than the average male in the field.

Now you're just rationalizing.

Now you're just rationalizing.

yeah thats kind of the point. Ideally only the biggest supermen would go into these fields but bottom line is there are more positions in these departments than there are strong capable men and given the pool of people that go out for those jobs strong women are more than capable.

Can she rush the passer?

yeah thats kind of the point. Ideally only the biggest supermen would go into these fields but bottom line is there are more positions in these departments than there are strong capable men and given the pool of people that go out for those jobs strong women are more than capable.

Continuing with this would be getting far too political. I'll just end it by saying that I disagree with your premise here, and that your claim has been demonstrated to be false time and again, in state after state.

No problem with you saying that there is no way a woman would be good enough to play in the NFL based on body type and physical makeup but we are talking about a kicker and sure strength and power are a factor but it is not a postion purely about brute strength.

In no way shape or form should the rules be changed to accomadate woman in football and if there was one playing she would be subject to being run over by men and she would get no sympathy from me nor should it make for any bigger of story than any other big hit.

Women do have their own leagues but it is the best women in the world and I see no problem with it if they want to play here or if they want to see how they could compete on the biggest stage with the best athletes in their sport.

Also she would not be the first Women in pro sports there have been a few before her most notably the goalie on the Lightning.

ManonRh%C3%A9aume-500x281.jpg

Oh the horror a lady in pro hockey taking slap shots from all the men :eek: and could you believe it they didn't even put restrictions on how hard you could shoot at her.

Lastly I think your statement about women in the rest of the work place absolutely was chauvinistic. You act like every male firemen and police officer is in there best peak shape like a pro athlete at the top of their game when the fact is men are probably more likely to be out of shape in these fields than the women who actually persue them as they are constanly being compared to the men.

I'm not going to address the rest of your post because it has either, a) already been addressed or b) shows that we are somewhat in agreement.

The part I want you to answer for me is which part of my post in regards to standards being lowered was chauvinistic and non-factual? Please state why.

Continuing with this would be getting far too political. I'll just end it by saying that I disagree with your premise here, and that your claim has been demonstrated to be false time and again, in state after state.

agreed we are getting to political.

Let me pose this question to you and anyone else in this thread.

Do you really not think it is entirely possible that one of the best female soccer players in the world could not be a successful kicker had they practiced FG kicking for their life instead of soccer?

I think the point is moot because it is not likely to happen. It would be very difficult to find a woman that could not only kick better than some of the 32 best male kickers but could kick so well that it would make up for any shortcomings with speed, tackling ability, etc.

Now, if you could find such a woman, there is absolutely no reason she shouldn't be on that field. But the reality is she won't likely ever exist.

However I should point out there are quite a few women that have played kicker at the college level and it was not an issue.

I don't see why this shouldn't be decided on pure merit. If she can do better than the men, give her a job.

The last kind of athletics in which I'd expect a woman to compete with world-class men would be one based on upper body strength. But kickers need that only when tackling or when passing on fake FG attempts. Not a big part of what they're graded on.

As for kicking -- the top male sprinters clearly have more leg power than the top female sprinters (slightly faster times plus bigger bodies to move around). But sprinting and kicking aren't the same thing; if they were, then we'd expect kickers and sprinters to come from the same ethnic groups, and they obviously don't. So I'm keeping an open mind until she succeeds or fails at beating the men.

Anyone who read today's Boston Globe saw a story about the MA state wrestling championships. A girl won a state championship, beating a boy from Winchester.

I don't think it will take too many decades before a woman could be a top-32 kicker or punter.

No Necessary Roughness references yet?

Look I am not trying to debate the hypocrisy of affirmative action (is this the right term or is this just racism not sexism) but I know a few women who are firemen and policemen and they are in better shape than most men I see in those fields and while they likely have some limitations I would say they are not more than the average male in the field.

While it would be extremely rare for them to reach the peaks that some of the strongest men in their fields can, which is why they likely wont be able to make the pros, they can clearly acheive to be higher than the average.
There's no comparison between elite sportsmen and elite sportswomen. As Deus has mentioned, it's physiological. Look at the difference between the Men's and Women's 100 Metres World Record.

It would be very very tough to do, but I liken getting a kicking job to the task of a woman golfer being competitive in a PGA tournament. There are elements of strength but also elements of technique and mechanics.

Anika Sorenstam years back entered a PGA event and on the first day she shot a 1-over-par 71, during which she was first in the entire field in driving accuracy but was 84th in driving distance. She shot 74 the second day and missed the cut. She needed another 71 to make the cut, or just to repeat what she had done the day before. Of course, lots of males didn't make the cut either, many finishing below her.

Sorenstam received more invitations, but declined to compete in any more PGA Tour events.

The part about her being, at least on one day, first in driving accuracy but near the bottom in distance would be like a kicker who in a tryout was 30-for-30 from 30 yards, 28-for-30 from 45 yards, but incapable of kicking a 60 yarder. For some teams, a sure 40 yarder is a whole lot more important than the occasional 55 yard attempt. It suggests a downside, though, of short kickoffs.

First Female to try the NFL?

From what Darelle Revis says,The NFL already has a girl known as Richard Sherman

I don't see why this shouldn't be decided on pure merit. If she can do better than the men, give her a job.

The last kind of athletics in which I'd expect a woman to compete with world-class men would be one based on upper body strength. But kickers need that only when tackling or when passing on fake FG attempts. Not a big part of what they're graded on.

As for kicking -- the top male sprinters clearly have more leg power than the top female sprinters (slightly faster times plus bigger bodies to move around). But sprinting and kicking aren't the same thing; if they were, then we'd expect kickers and sprinters to come from the same ethnic groups, and they obviously don't. So I'm keeping an open mind until she succeeds or fails at beating the men.

It's purely a physical concern; a woman literally could get killed out there. Any position on the football field -- including kicker -- is at risk for contact. The debate ends there.

If a woman is good enough and can match up physically with some of the other players, what's the concern? I want to see the best football players in the world play every game.

Now why Mark Sanchez is still playing is beyond me, but you get the point.

you put a girl out there not the built type..she will die

If a woman is good enough and can match up physically with some of the other players, what's the concern? I want to see the best football players in the world play every game.

Now why Mark Sanchez is still playing is beyond me, but you get the point.

When the first woman gets destroyed after kicking off and getting rocked during the play, people will start to understand.....

When the first woman gets destroyed after kicking off and getting rocked during the play, people will start to understand.....

I will lose my **** when that happens.

not only that...every frickin' "kinder gentler" jagoff in the country will descend like flies with THEIR solution to the "unbridled violence of this vicious ,dangerous league!!!!!".

Give me a break....you want to play contact football,form a women's league and hold a draft. WNBA says "HELLO!!!!" at twenty million decibels. Don't give me this friiggin' "well, it's about time a woman broke the exclusive men's league" PC garbage....krist...hell no...EVER...if ONE woman plays in the NFL EVER it will NEVER be the NFL again...it will only be a matter of time before the flags are issued and the "no swearing" penalties" instituted....jeezus krist, what an unbelievably shortsighted stupid idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back