Welcome to PatsFans.com

First Embryonic Stem-Cell Trial Gets Approval From the FDA

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

First Embryonic Stem-Cell Trial Gets Approval From the FDA - WSJ.com

By RON WINSLOW and ALICIA MUNDY
    In a watershed moment for one of the most contentious areas of science and American politics, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration cleared the way for the first-ever human trial of a medical treatment derived from embryonic stem cells.

==================================================================

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

this is great news!

2. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

Dragging the religious nuts kicking and screaming into the 21st century! I'm glad my vote for Obama has not been in vain thus far.

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Wait a minute!
    You mean the federal government is into science? This ought to be interesting. Lets see how many additional abortions this causes.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

The so-called ban on ESCR was so overblown it wasn't funny. So federal funds weren't to be used. Big deal. In CA alone we had a $3B (that's Billion) bond measure that passed in 2004 for ESCR. 4 years ago, no words yet on the breakthroughs :rolleyes:

I hope progress is made as much as anyone but let's not pretend ESCR was illegal until last week and suddenly it's sprouting up everywhere.

5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think what IS important in all ofthis is the approval of Human tests by the FDA. The request for testing was presented a year ago. Imagine the stink that would've been put up by the former Prsident and his Faith based supporters on this. We currently have a President who has stated that he believe in this research and also that it really should be a state by state case.

what you will NOT get now, is backlash from the administration...and that is wonderful!

Green energy, and New medical breakthroughs is what will lead our nation back to prosperity.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I'll believe it when I see it. $3B four years ago and we've cured . . . what ? And that windmill on top of my car hasn't helped my mileage at all. Fairytales are fun but that's all this stuff is right now.

7. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How much cash have we put in to trying to cure cancer, or aids? Its a lot more than $3B. That doesn't make it a bad persuit.

its tough to cure anything when the FDA wont let you test or administer on humans. Oh wait, its not tough, its illegal.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I didn't mean it's a bad pursuit. Heck, my mom has a nasty cancer as I type this, I'd like it cured as fast as possible. What I do object to is the suggestion that Bush was significantly hindering breakthroughs that were around the corner. The only thing that was prohibited was federal funds on new stem cells. There were still plenty of options including states and private companies. As I said, CA approved $3B all by itself, that's just one state (admittedly a big one).

9. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

though the article states there is no political connection to the timing of this research....

Ha!

right.

10. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And trials on human beings. How are you to cure things if you cant test?

11. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,533 / 33 / -55

No Jersey Selected

Human testing is great news. I had family members that could have benefitted from research like this (if there do turn out to be benefits). But, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure all of you will), doesn't something like this require a Congressional vote as well?

12. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Federal funds though are by far the biggest source of publicly funded scientific research. No question. California only shelled out that money after W prohibited it on the federal level. Given a choice, California would of course rather gotten that money from the feds.

13. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Do we really have to go over this again? There was a ban on federal money for the creation of new stem cell lines. AT NO POINT WAS STEM CELL RESEARCH ILLEGAL. The timing of this is coincidence, it would have been legal during the previous admin as well.

come on people, let's step it up a bit.

14. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,896 / 12 / -18

#75 Jersey

Goodbye to the Dark Ages!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello to the Renaissance!!!!!!!!

15. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yes but that ignores all the private money used.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

You just make yourself look dumb saying things like that.

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +709 / 7 / -2

It's nice to have some brains back in the forum. Now only if Pujo would stick around too. Pujo come back!

18. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its crazy to me that we would halt funding, stem cell lines, and human testing on possible cures for disease because of faith based beliefs.

Its like we boast being so FREE, yet don't have the freedom to persue a cure. I know some people will say that the ban is on federal money used, and not the research itself. Ask yourslef how much money have you given to aids research and finding a cure for cancer....? It HUGE task, and needs a ton of funding...

here are the easy figures....

lets see....Private funding and some state funding (Cali) has produces 4 BILLION in funding over 10 years.....thats not a $h!tload by any stretch of the imagination.

The National Institutes of Health spent $24.3 million dollars on human embryonic stem-cell research last year.

The NIE's annual budget is 30 BILLION

If you believe that using ebryodic stem cells is a form of abortion.....don't accept any cures that come from it. Its as simple as that.

I'm thrilled that we will see what happens during human trials, these will be breakthrough years in medical science! We have the capacity to lead the world in stem cell research. We, as a nation, need a new industry. If our leadership cures disease and furthers our undersatnding of the body and medicine....why halt any funding or avenue to get there?

19. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

On a somewhat related note:
    Obama reverses abortion-funding policy - CNN.com

Not even waiting a week, the new administration has acted to funnel U.S. tax dollars to abortion providers overseas," Rep. Tom Price, R-Georgia, said in a written statement.

20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Well we knew he was a baby killer so this is no surprise. Interesting quote :

""Family planning should not be a political issue; it's about basic health care and well-being for women and children," the group said."

Riiiight. Being ripped apart in your mother's womb increases basic health care and well being for the children. Disgusting pig.