PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First 3 picks next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We have 2 Ones and a Two next year.
I see WR,CB and LB as the most needed no matter what happens this year.
I'd like to see another WR pickup via draft or free agency too.

Leon Hall, Jeff S., Aaron Rouse (trade up in the second similar to CJ trade up)

I still like Michael Griffin with our #1 pick. If we can't get one of the top three Safeties (Landry, Merrieweather, Griffin), I like one of the CB (Hall from Michigan or the one from Texas) in the first round, CJ Wallace in the second. I don't have a pick for the other #1 yet.

I agree with Tony that cb,lb and wr are our 3 biggest needs from a
positional sense. I'm worried about our inability to force turnovers.
I think a better pass-rush would aid our secondary. Cause/affect
theory. I would like an olb who can get to the qb if we stay in a 3-4
and move Vrabel inside. Or, a de if we go to the 4-3. I'll say olb/de first.
Then 2 db's. I want more immediate help at ilb and wr. Will look to free
agency to fill those holes. Then draft a wr/kr in round 3.

Always best player available, but a Tie goes to the Back 7 on defense. We need dynamic playmakers who can create turnovers. Rush LBers, Ballhawking safeties, cover corners with ball skills. The current O should work itself with proper coaching; the talent there is top-notch but either isn't mature enough or isn't being coached well right now.

My little dream scenario would be :

1st round CB - Leon Hall, MI, Marcus McCauley, Fresno St, Tarell Brown, Texas.
1st round S - LaRon Landry, LSU, Brandon Merriweather, Miami, Michael Griffin, Texas.
2nd round ILB - Anthony Waters, Clemson.

Admittedly I'm slow on the draft this time of year. But if we got one of those Safeties and one of those CB I would freak out; based on what I know now anyway.

Waters is the only LB who I can find who's good and big. They're mostly little shrimps. I know a lot of people like LaMarr Woodley but he seems a little short and a little slow to be an OLB for us.

Of course, so much can change based on underclassmen coming out.

BelichickFan said:
I know a lot of people like LaMarr Woodley but he seems a little short and a little slow to be an OLB for us.

A little short and a little slow. Hmmm. Makes plays, though. Hmmm.

But seriously, I like your dream....

Clonamery said:
A little short and a little slow. Hmmm. Makes plays, though. Hmmm.

But seriously, I like your dream....
I know, why I said wasn't very "Patriot" but with Belichick's reluctance to take LB it seems like he'll only take the right guy with the right value and I'm just not sure a guy listed under 6'2", running about a 4.7 is that right guy.

BelichickFan said:
I know, why I said wasn't very "Patriot" but with Belichick's reluctance to take LB it seems like he'll only take the right guy with the right value and I'm just not sure a guy listed under 6'2", running about a 4.7 is that right guy.

Yes, he won't do that that early. But I like to say 'Hmmm.'

Any ILB answers are years in the making (sitting or FA).

But Safety and Corner and a playmaker at the outside would be what to watch for.....and TE's in rd 3 (of course).

I think Anthony Waters blew out his ACL a couple of weeks ago.

We have zero play makers in the secondary. One stinking turnover forced all year and that was on a hail mary.

Based on performance to date the CB's that pop for me thus far are Bennett (South Carolina) or Hall (Michigan). Hall is a bit more physical and I like that.

At the safty position I think Louisville did a great job of exposing Marriweather. Let's face it, he couldn't cover a fire hydrant. Laundry had a decent game in the loss to Auburn, but again he didn't make a play. We have a lot of guys currently on the roster that I can say the same exact thing about.

At the ILB position, the guy that I'm hearing a buzz about is Harrington of Mo. He is supposed to be a legit 6'3" and 245 lbs. Some speed, decent instincts and hits like a truck. I plan to scope him out first chance I get.

We are getting older at LB and sometime we need to start grooming one.
I think no matter what happens this year Brady will be bettter with another
stud WR. You can't run a 4 wideout unless you have 4 of them!

BelichickFan said:
My little dream scenario would be :

1st round S - LaRon Landry, LSU, Brandon Merriweather, Miami, Michael Griffin, Texas.

Admittedly I'm slow on the draft this time of year. But if we got one of those Safeties and one of those CB I would freak out; based on what I know now anyway.

Waters is the only LB who I can find who's good and big. They're mostly little shrimps. I know a lot of people like LaMarr Woodley but he seems a little short and a little slow to be an OLB for us.

Of course, so much can change based on underclassmen coming out.

thats bad a bit..Waters is out for season with ACL i think or leg injury. Tarrell Brown got caught with a weed and he wasnt a first round grade

BelichickFan said:

I like the idea of starting with the secondary but don't think I would go LB in until round 3 or 4. I could be wrong but I as it stands now I think the Pats only have one CB under contact after this season (Hobbs). They may have exclusive rights to Gay but he is an injury liability.
http://www.patscap.com/patriotsroster.html

If you have an interest, the best site I have found is http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ , excellent site, I believe it is $25 a year but really good scouting reports.

I don't watch enough college so here are some 100% guesses.... and trying to predict the Pats is next to impossible.

Pick 1 - Round 1 - S, knee jerk reaction to the last couple of weeks but we could use a play maker...
Landry, LaRon LSU 6-2 205 4.48
Meriweather, Brandon Miami 6-0 190 4.49
Nelson, Reggie Florida 6-0 195 4.45 <-- Junior
Zbikowski, Tom Notre Dame 5-11 214 4.48
Rouse, Aaron Virginia Tech 6-4 225 4.42
Griffin, Michael Texas 6-1 205 4.48

Pick 2 - Round 1 - CB - sorely needed
Hall, Leon Michigan 5-11 195 4.48
McCauley, Marcus Fresno State 6-1 198 4.43
Revis, Darrelle Pittsburgh 1 6-0 190 4.54 <-- Junior
Bennett, Fred South Carolina 6-2 190 4.45

Pick 3 - Round 2 - WR - should be a deep year for WR especially when Ginn and Johnson come out

Allison, Aundrae East Carolina 6-0 190 4.42
Williams, Paul Fresno State 6-2 205 4.45
Clowney, David Virginia Tech 6-1 180 4.32
Sweed, Limas Texas 6-5 218 4.64 <-- Junior
Bryant, Dorien Purdue 5-10 178 4.37 <-- Junior
Caldwell, Andre Florida 6-1 198 4.43 <-- Junior

Rounds 3
- pick some LB or DE please... good grief, get us someone under 40...
Burgess, Prescott Michigan 6-3 245 4.74
Bradley, Stewart Nebraska 6-3 245 4.76
Harris, David Michigan 6-2 242 4.75

Later round pick
DeOssie, Zak Brown 7 6-4 248 4.62
Steve DeOssie's son, has good enough size any way

That all I gots, peace out

good board but id lik 1 LB with 1 of the first picks..and 1 DB

those 40s are wrong also..Meriweather is a 4.3-4.45 guy while Rouse is definatley not 4.42

Trick question.

2006 draft was supposed to be LB, not RB
2005 was supposed to be CB, not OG(!)

This staff doesn't for draft positions of need until Day Two. They draft players.

rookBoston said:
Trick question.

2006 draft was supposed to be LB, not RB
2005 was supposed to be CB, not OG(!)

This staff doesn't for draft positions of need until Day Two. They draft players.

True in a sense because clearly they went after offensive playmakers.

I'd hope they would see the need(?) on defense.

Clonamery said:
True in a sense because clearly they went after offensive playmakers.

I'd hope they would see the need(?) on defense.

If they didn't see the LB need this year, what would it take? The writing is on the wall for anyone to read. Honestly, I think they know that they need youth at LB, but have chosen to pick where the value was despite that.

I want to go CB/LB/S with our first 3 picks.

The offense will be fine with another year to get to know each other. I feel that if we could win superbowls with Antowain Smith, Troy Brown, and David Patten, then offense is more about exploiting weaknesses than it is about just pure talent.

1st round reserved for 3 down players

This coaching staff likes to take 3 down players in the first round and 3 down LB's don't usually make it out of the top 10.

CB's are definately 3 down players.

PS: I missed the S. Carolina-Auburn game last night. I was looking forward to the Bennett-Taylor match up. I saw Taylor only had 2 catches, but for 43 yards. Ouch!

Re: 1st round reserved for 3 down players

Ochmed Jones said:
This coaching staff likes to take 3 down players in the first round and 3 down LB's don't usually make it out of the top 10.

CB's are definately 3 down players.

PS: I missed the S. Carolina-Auburn game last night. I was looking forward to the Bennett-Taylor match up. I saw Taylor only had 2 catches, but for 43 yards. Ouch!

It was entertaining....especially in the second half when both teams had long drives (number of plays, time). SC could've tied it but the Freshman Cook alligator-armed a perfect pass from the QB Newton. They still had a shot but couldn't convert a 4th down pass to the corner of the endzone.

SC played to the level of their competition on this night. I hope Auburn gets their chance at USC this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back