Welcome to PatsFans.com

Firings Reach Highest Since 2010 as Ford to Dow Face Sales Slump

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Oct 26, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +564 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Hey, don't shoot the messanger.....

Firings Reach Highest Since 2010 as Ford to Dow Face Sales Slump

"North American companies have announced plans to eliminate 62,600 positions at home and abroad since Sept. 1, the biggest two-month drop since the start of 2010, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Firings total 158,100 so far this year, more than the 129,000 job cuts in the same period in 2011."

Firings Reach Highest Since 2010 as Ford to Dow Face Sales Slump - Yahoo! Finance

Ssshhhh...it's the election!

2. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +466 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +499 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Whoever wrote that headline ought to be among them. "Ford to Dow?"

4. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +499 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

This must mean that the executives have not been doing a good job. I am sure we will see big cuts in their compensation. What's that? Laying off people will ensure that they still get big bonuses?

Sales are up: CEO is a genius, pay him double.
    Sales are down: CEO is a genius for cutting payroll, pay him double.

I can't figure out why we aren't as economically competitive as we used to be.

5. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 30 / -34

ford runs a pretty tight ship. they managed just fine without being involved in obama's saving of the auto industry. the reason why they were able to pull that off is because they obviously don't have a problem being up front about their personnel changes.

if Ford is going through this, GM is going through this......but I can guarantee that GM won't say a thing until after the election.....why? because the obama presidency owns GM.....a massive layoff at GM now would literally pull the plug on obama.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Duped again by the right wing spin machine... knew this story had to be wrong, a free right wing rag...

Sorry folks keep on believing the pablum are fed, and never check the veracity of the story.. if is sounds too good to be true it usually is.

If Willard had his way they would have gond bankrupt, then Bain could have bought Chrysler/Jeep at rock bottom prices and then shipped production to China already...

Romney: Chrysler may move Jeep production to China | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

From The Detroit News: Romney: Chrysler may move Jeep production to China | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

7. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 30 / -34

Chrysler is not really relevant given it is an Italian automaker. If they move all of their production offshore, it is not a political issue in the current election.

I'm still more interested in whether GM is going to file its quarterly report before the election.

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Apparently it was important to Triumph, who I was responding to..

Thanks for taking an interest, and following along...

9. Triumph

Ratings:
    +466 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

Word

Obama back in means more bail out money for GM.

Dont kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

10. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 30 / -34

who cares who you were responding to? GM simply proves that obama is the idiot that people say he is

11. Triumph

Ratings:
    +466 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

Of course theyre back peddling now.

If Obama is back Jeep will move.

12. Triumph

Ratings:
    +466 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

Yes, real jobs are very important to me. Not Obama holiday season part timers.

US Companies are moving because the corporate tax rate is set to increase in January.

13. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +499 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

I don't follow. Plants, equipment and payroll are expenses (i.e. they lower the taxable income). How would choices about any of that be impacted by corporate income tax rates?

14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +564 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

How can taxes on earned income NOT be relevant to US companies?

15. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 30 / -34

I was having difficulty responding to him so I left it alone.....kind of like explaining how you get wet when someone dumps water on you

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

You miss the point, what Jeep said was misintrepeted by the right wing spin machine...

But keep on believing..

17. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 30 / -34

maybe it was misinterpreted by where you got your story from.......then again there's a thing called lying, but we all know that what you want to believe could never be a lie

18. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +353 / 63 / -89

#87 Jersey

Mass Firings Soar at Fastest Pace Since 2010 - Mike Shedlock - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page 1

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

We're not as economically competitive as we used to be because the cost of doing business here > the cost of doing business elsewhere. CEO pay is certainly a sizable cost, but it's way down on the reasons why list.

I honestly can't help but laugh when people cite the auto bailout as a "success". Seriously, how is handing a blank check worth tens of billions of taxpayer dollars to a company to keep it afloat, while giving another away to a foreign auto maker for free, a success? Ford is what a success looks like. A company that was a mess, reorganized, and over some tough lean years righted its ship on its own. GM is a welfare queen deadbeat, smoking a knock off ciggarette, with a dime in it's hand to rub off the next prize on its scratch ticket. The auto bailout is a prime example of what's wrong in society today.

You do realize that Chrystler was given away to a foreign company. Fiat owns Chrystler. If giving away american companies for free to foreign entities doesn't scream success, I don't know what does. :rolleyes:

Long term, yes a company would plan to move its operations overseas if it felt the business environment were heading in the wrong direction. Be it the cost of labor, the regulatory situations, or the tax code, etc. However, I'm with you here. The idea that the fiscal cliff is propelling companies to pick up and move to China persay, sounds like a lot of nonsense to me. If you have leased or owned property, a trained workforce, supply structure, delivery mechanisms, etc. all in place you're not going to pick up and leave because of some artificial deadline for a fiscal cliff most everyone feels will be dealt with. Not only is it physically impossible to instantly move, it's simply not practical. I think companies are definately holding off on making long term commitments, and decisions, because of the fiscal cliff, and the election. I just think the idea that "oh no the fiscall cliff is Jan 1st so companies are fleeing for China" is a more of a talking point than it is an actuality. In an immediate sense at least.

I think it's completely relevant. I just think it's one component of a more comprehensive fiscal equation. I think companies are, generally speaking, definately in a holding patern as they wait to see both what the election results are, and what the end plan is post fiscal cliff. If I were a larger corporation I'd be on hold. I wouldn't be making any long term commitments if I felt my company would suffer from the effects of Nov 6 & Jan 1. I'd be in a wait and see situation. I think the point B5 was making, to which I agree, is that a company can't just instantaneously up and leave because of the pending "fiscal cliff". That doesn't mean that the end result of the fiscal cliff won't result in some companies eventually leaving.

20. Triumph

Ratings:
    +466 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

No, what was stated was misinterpreted by you.

Forbes said:
    Your link said:

Romney said:

My link:

No where was it said that Jeep WAS moving. I hope Ive cleared that up for you.:D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012