Welcome to PatsFans.com

Firing the Wrong General

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1595473,00.html

As the Iraq war prepares to enter its fifth year β€” a war that the Bush administration and its backers contended would be a cakewalk β€” the first senior military officer has finally had to walk the plank for screwing up.

But critics who have been long calling for some accountability aren't likely to be appeased. The officer taking the fall, after all, wasn't Tommy Franks, the Army general who as chief of Central Command scuttled Anthony Zinni's more robust war plan and agreed with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld that invasion-lite was the way to go. Nope, he got the Presidential Medal of Freedom. So did former CIA chief George ("Slam Dunk") Tenet and L. Paul "Jerry" Bremer, who as Iraqi viceroy fired the entire Iraqi army, a move now widely seen as laying the groundwork for a sustained insurgency.

And it wasn't the fellow who replaced Franks, John Abizaid, a fine Army officer by all accounts but one who also stressed the need for a "light footprint" inside Iraq that merely dragged out the death and dying on both sides. He'll retire soon to praise and pension. And General George Casey, Abizaid's underling and overall commander inside Iraq for the past 30 months, has just won promotion to Army chief of staff.

That's why the firing of Major General George Weightman β€” the guy running Walter Reed Army Medical Center for the past six months β€” seems so out of line. The Army brass ousted him 10 days after the Washington Post exposed the squalid living conditions β€” and lassez-faire attitude from hospital staff β€” that many outpatients experienced. Weightman was replaced, at least temporarily, by Lieutenant General Kevin Kiley, the commander of U.S. Medical Command. But there are two things wrong with that, Army insiders say. Weightman was actually trying to fix problems that arose during the tenure of his predecessor in the job β€” and that man was none other than Kiley.
  2. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another Senior NCO and I discussed this topic this morning. The conditions at WRMC didn't happen within the last 6 months. MG Weightman has been scapegoated. Piss poor....piss poor!
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Hey bfm31c, glad to see you still checking in here. Interesting that you concur with the article. I suppose I can understand why they scapegoated the guy (fingerpointing is an art in Washington), but why the hell replace him with the guy who helped cause the problems in the first place? It doesn't give one much confidence in how things are done.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

P-O-L-I-T-C-S

Firing a guy makes the less than up to speed, like 60% of the public, feel satisfied that something is being done. A measure that's as American as apple pie.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

On the news tonite apparently they have commisioned a group to study the whole VA medical system.. from the hospitals, down to the clinics.. apparently these long neglected services are finally getting some needed attention. But then again might be a white wash.. or might be someone else fault. Does Rumsfield have any responsibility in this??
  6. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070303/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/walter_reed

Somebody else is of the opinion that he was scapegoated. Very interesting.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Maybe some truth to this. But in some (mostly) bygone cultures, he might have committed hari-kari, been taken out and shot, or had his family taken from him.

CYA is an old tradition.

//
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What's your point, Buster?
    How can this appear to be anything other than the classic scapegoating that it appears to be? Replacing the general with his predecessor? Are you suggesting that it's somehow Weightman's dismissal is not so bad because he didn't put a pistol in his mouth?

This whole thing is another indication - as if we needed one - that the administration and the military brass is without a scrap of honor.
    Congress as well has been maliciously negligent.
  9. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm confused at your reply as well, Fogbuster. The SecDef canned the SecArmy for firing the wrong guy. It seems that SecDef Gates isn't going to allow MG Weightman to take the fall for this. If anything I believe he is demanding true accountability for the matter, instead of the knee-jerk head chop that former SecArmy Harvey tried.

Let me know what you mean please, I'm curious as to what you are saying. Thanks.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'd love to see one of these generals stand up and raise holy hell when they get "goated" like this. I know they won't out of training, etc. Bush and his cult of pasty-faced wierdos need to get smacked around by one of these guys eventually. I hope we get to see it.
  11. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They don't have anything to lose. I would raise hell. I guess I would never make it as an officer. :)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Asked before and will ask again, does Rumsfield have any complicity in this matter.. he was in charge for 6+ years.
  13. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think that this is lower level than that. The WRMC Commander and CSM, as well as the MEDCOM Commander and CSM would be the people I would think should have had knowledge of the matter.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That's definitely a good thing. My wife and I talked about being broken by our jobs and how well we've managed to avoid that in life while not getting rich...oh well...we're happy instead!
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

OK, on second blush, it seems the guy fired is being replaced by his predecessor, the one allegedly responsible for the mess.

So, now it is very easy: watch what the new (old) guy does. If conditions continue to be bad, then take him to the firing squad at dawn (blanks only). Then retire his ass.

If, on the other hand, things *improve*, then it looks like this guy that is being martyred by some was maybe not the boy scout he's being made out to be (by some).

Time will tell.

The problem here, as is so often the case in the media, is this is a fan-splatter today, but will there be any follow up in six months to talk about how this change turned out? Maybe. Buried on page 72, two inches of print, down at the bottom, most likely. And ten seconds of air time, at most.

//
  16. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

MG Weightman was only in command for 6 months and it is documented that he was aware of the problem and was taking steps to fix it. I am betting with the firing of the SecArmy that MG Weightman may be back.
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The plot thickens with the firing of the SecArmy. We will see.

//
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

It is easy to find a visible scapegoat, more difficult to find out who in the chain of command who allowed this to occur by inaction and lack of focus on the veteran. The poor conditions at our VA system should is not a shock to anyone who has spent time in these facilities, some are good.. but there are serious deficiencies. The buck has to stop somewhere.
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Bush was in the White House for 8 months and they're still blaming him for 9/11, they never mention the plans and the training the Muslims were doing for 9/11 right here in our own country all through the ninties while the President was trying to have sex with anybody he could get his slimey hands on.
    The hospital thing isn't the only disgraceful thing that is going on in this country and this government and there is plenty of blame on both sides.
    :bricks:
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

There is no "both sides". The POTUS is the CIC. He is responsible for the conditions at military and VA hospitals...period. He's been the CIC for 61/2 years. How much time does he need to get his act together? At the very least, Rummy needed to do something and didn't.