Welcome to PatsFans.com

FireFox....

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Patriots4Ever, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Patriots4Ever

Patriots4Ever Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I have heard some folks at work talking about Firefox,I guess it's a different type of internet Browser.Does anyone here know much about it? Would you recommend it for use? I have a Laptop,And am looking to spice it up a bit.As IE is getting a bit well.Boring..Thanks All

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I switched to it years ago. At the time it was much safer than IE. Not sure if that's still the case. It's become more popular, so there are more people trying to exploit it. I also found it much faster. I guess the new IE has added tabbed browsing, but that was a big advantage. Still love it for all the plugins. I don't know what I'd do without adblock.

Another alternative is Opera. I've actually been using that a lot lately. I'd take either over IE.

3. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +339 / 5 / -1

Firefox is so, so much better than IE, IMO. I absolutely hate Internet Explorer passionately, and Firefox is a really, really great browser.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I use OS X but, often use Firefox. On Windows it is essential that you use Firefox over IE simply because IE is riddled with holes and vulnerabilities. It also allows malicious scripts to root access of your Windows PC. Use Firefox install add-ons like No Script and Adblock.

5. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Firefox completely effed up my computer. But then again, perhaps it was the husband installing Firefox that effed up my computer. . .

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +782 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Seriously, that's difficult to believe. I've installed it several times and know dozens of people who use it without so much of a hint of a problem.

I like it a lot. If you download it, also download "Fire Tune for Firefox", it'll tweak some settings for you based on how fast you tell it your computer and internet connection are.

7. milwaukeebeers44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ahh, but you don't know my husband. . .he's a nuclear engineer, but has a special knack for messing up my computer. He went to do a windows update for me once and ended up losing my Master's thesis!

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Firefox and IE are roughly the same in my opinion. I use both, but mostly Firefox. It's a little safer because hackers have studied it less.

If you want to spice things up a little, look at the Opera browser:

http://www.opera.com/

I haven't used it in awhile, but what I liked about it was that it was very fast and innovative. What I didn't like about it was that it had some trouble with a few websites that I frequented, but I don't know if that's still the case.

9. Michael

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

With all due respect if you believe that you don't know what you are talking about. Firefox is much much more secure that IE it has nothing to do with how much "hackers have studied.".

10. Michael

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That's why NASA engineers love their Macs. :D

11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +782 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I tried Opera and it was interesting. The problem was it didn't run the java stuff right for my fantasy league scoring and it kind of took over my computer so I'm scared to try it again. All my applications were showing Opera as the program that runs them. I'm sure it was my fault but nothing else has done that, before or after, so I don't want to touch it anymore.

I tried IE 7 and there were some things I liked but it was drastically different so I wasn't too excited about getting used to it. I may try it again sometime.

12. Michael

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Leo Laporte and Steve Gibson

Steve: ...There is one that is now known is being exploited, is in the wild, and it has been confirmed that yesterdayís Windows Update patches did not fix it. Microsoft knows about it. Thereís a link about it on their page. Theyíre doing their standard, oh, well, you know, weíll either fix it in a normal patch cycle or in an out-of-cycle patch, if, you know, depending upon customer needs is what they say. However, this thing is, once again, itís gathering momentum. And we can expect to see, you know, a much wider range of†exploits.
    Leo: Itís a remote-execution exploit?
    Steve: Itís a remote-execution exploit. Itís now in the wild. Microsoft knows about it. But yesterdayís patches did not include a fix for it.
    Leo: Oh, boy.
    Steve: So who knows when weíre going to get one. Now, one of the things that people are noticing, and Iím sure this is not a coincidence, you know, itís evolution, itís what youíd†expect, is new exploits are appearing either on the day of Microsoftís patch or shortly afterwards because theyíre wanting to get as large an exploit window as possible before...
    Leo: Oh, so they wait until...
    Steve: Yes.
    Leo: Theyíre taking advantage of this one-month delay.
    Steve: Exactly.
    Leo: Oh, man.
    Steve: So it√≠s good for security IT people because they know when to anticipate a hailstorm of patches. On the other hand, by √Ī I mean, and it√≠s logical when you think about it. This is what the bad guys would do.
    Leo: Right.
    Steve: Is Microsoft says we√≠re going to patch on the second Tuesday of every month. So exploits appear on that day when Microsoft doesn√≠t √Ī or maybe shortly before or shortly afterwards. But, like, clustered around there so that they have the maximum opportunity of catching Microsoft, you know, off cycle to create the most opportunity for getting their malware installed in people√≠s machines.
    Leo: Those sons of guns.
    Steve: Well, once again, the neat guys at ZERT, the Zero-Day Emergency Response Team, they√≠ve got a goodie which will fix both the 0-day exploit that Microsoft just patched and this other one. The other one is a √Ī it√≠s a problem in the direct animation ActiveX control that IE naturally will use. It√≠s been known since the middle of September, that is to say shortly after Microsoft√≠s last patch cycle. The SANS Security Institute has some, like, some mitigation steps. They say, well, use an alternate browser. Which is like, uh, yeah. That√≠s, you know...
    Leo: Okay.
    Steve: ...Firefox.
    Leo: Weíve been saying that for a while.
    Steve: Or Opera or whatever.
    Leo: Right.
    Steve: Or they say disable ActiveX scripting. And of course, you know, the way I run, as I√≠ve said before, is I√≠ve got my security tightened so that I can browse around the √ęNet with no ActiveX, and then selectively enable it for sites where it, you know, there is some functionality that I‚Ćneed.
    Now, there√≠s another thing that can be done. And I√≠ve got, again, links to all of this on the show notes for Episode 61, this episode. There√≠s a way to set a kill bit for ActiveX controls that specifically prevents Internet Explorer and the Explorer viewer window √Ī so that also covers you over in Outlook √Ī it prevents IE from being able to use that ActiveX control itself. Again, I√≠ve got a link to Microsoft√≠s page that describes it. In order to do this, you√≠ve got to get in and muck around with the registry. So instead, that√≠s what the ZERT guys have done. They√≠ve got a very clean GUI and command line versions of what they call their √¨ZProtector,√ģ which apparently is going to be maintained and evolved over time, the idea being that when something occurs that√≠s 0-day, they√≠ll quickly respond by making an easy fixer, you know, a 0-day protector that will, for example in this case, just enable the kill bits so that IE won√≠t √Ī it√≠ll basically neuter that functionality in IE until Microsoft gets around to fixing it. Then people will have to turn that back on. So it√≠s very much like what they did with the VML exploit.
    This thing is available from ZERT. You could put ZERT into Google and find it easily. Or again, the show notes page at GRC for this episode has links to it. They provide full source code. I√≠ve looked over it. It looks fine, I mean, these are good guys. These are white hat hackers. And it looks like they√≠re going to be real busy, not only now but almost certainly in Vista times, fixing these sorts of problems. Because, I mean, we√≠ve really got a new form of arms race going now where, exactly as you said, Leo, hackers are clustering their release around Microsoft√≠s timing in order to maximize their window of opportunity. And it√≠s now √Ī the race is to install malware in people√≠s machines in order to take them over for various purposes. And it√≠s going to be a nightmare.

One of many many security issues with IE. No one should be using IE.

13. milwaukeebeers44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL, the US government runs on IE (probably easier to spy on employees taht way).

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

I think they are all okay and different. But everyone using windows should have IE in their computer because it is the only one that will allow you to download Windows Updates (security).

One thing I dislike about Firefox is that it has 3 horizontal rows at the top that eat up space...in IE I reduce it to 2 ... I also cut out the status bar in both.

I haven't used Opera in a while ... I'm goingto see how it looks now.

15. Michael

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

You can (and should) set your PC to download the updates automatically and without IE ever being launched.
    Go up to the views and turn them off. You can have just the top one if you like. Like I say if you use IE you are browsing at risk. So just know that going in.

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm very glad I switched to firefox.

17. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +188 / 2 / -3

I think he's got the right idea but for the wrong reasons. I think its because IE is used by such a high percentage of people that the hackers attack it more.

I'm not sure if Firefox did a better job on creating a more secure browser or not but that generally seems to be the way it is.

I have the newest IE version AND firefox - and IE is obviously copying a lot of Firefox features now. Before IE had tabbbed browsing it was a no brainer - Firefox wins in a walk - now, give Firefox the advantage but thanks mainly to its lowered attacks by hackers

18. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I switched a couple of months ago,per the recommendations on this site.

Firefox is way,way better than IE 7,I keep it only for Windows Update and for Symantec Security and Virus scans.

I'll never go back.......Love,how you can put your Bookmark Favorites onto a Toolbar on Firefox.

Downside is I can't get the Ebay Toolbar to work on either IE 7 or Firefox.

19. Michael

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

If you listened to podcasts like Security Now you'd know that's not the case. People make the same argument about OS X's security vs. Windows. But, the fact is it's not more secure because it's used by less people and thus less a target by hackers it's more secure because it is in fact more secure. You couldn't put a virus or malware on a Mac running OS X without getting the OS X user to type in their admin password. That is not the case in Windows because many things in Windows ( such as games) are allowed root access to PC without the admin having to type in a password or anything else. IE is exactly the same. It allows malicious scripts etc., to have root access to the PC. Firefox does not.