PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fire Valentine!!!!

I like Ellsbury, but he wasn't a great player in either 08 or 09.

If he repeats his 2011, then he will have put together back-to-back elite level years.

But as things stand now, he's had an ok year, a pretty good year and an excellent year, along with a year of injuries. My only point was that that profile doesn't merit a monster deal.

the one difference between 08-09 and last year was the amount of HR's scored.

Batting average was close. runs and RBI's pretty similar.

I thought he was pretty damn good those years. 2011 he was all world.
If he keeps up the average and add's 20-25 HR's this year....

the one difference between 08-09 and last year was the amount of HR's scored.

Batting average was close. runs and RBI's pretty similar.

I thought he was pretty damn good those years. 2011 he was all world.
If he keeps up the average and add's 20-25 HR's this year....

You need to take a closer look, I think.

Look at OPS, for ex -- 930 v 730 and 770

BA was 320, v 280 and 300

32 HRs v 8 and 9 is a huge leap

46 2Bs v 22 and 27

3Bs were down slightly (5 v 7 and 10); SBs were down, partly b/c of his increased power, partly b/c he ran less, partly b/c he ran worse (39-54, v 50-61 and 70-82)

08 and 09 simply weren't great years. They were fine, and showed promise, but not great. look at OPS in those years -- 730 and 770. I'd argue that you bump those up a bit b/c of his SBs, but it's still a decent year and a pretty good year, respectively.

So far the guy seems like a first class jerk. The media and Schilling isn't helping his cause either. He needs to stop responding and start managing.

So far the guy seems like a first class jerk. The media and Schilling isn't helping his cause either. He needs to stop responding and start managing.

Well said. If he can figure a way to get the bats going the Red sox would be 4-2 now instead of 1-5.

what has he done wrong? (I'm in LA -- hear less day to day, which in general is a good thing, imo :) )

What he said about Youkilis was out of line but lemme tell ya..... the way Pedroia reacted, and having done so in such a public fashion, speaks volumes.

"I know that Youk plays as hard as anyone I've ever seen in my life," Pedroia said. "I have his back, and his teammates have his back and we know how hard he plays. I don't really understand what Bobby's trying to do, but that's really not the way we go about our stuff here. I'm sure he'll figure that out soon."

Not much reading between the lines required there. Would be interested to hear Cherringtons opinion on this now.

If he's smart he'll shut up and try to deal with it internally.

What he said about Youkilis was out of line but lemme tell ya..... the way Pedroia reacted, and having done so in such a public fashion, speaks volumes.

You guys are doing what the mediots did, your taking one part of what he said and not everything else he said, different context if you heard it live or read all of what he said

Questioner, off-camera: "Kevin Youkilis, his bat has come to life here in the last two games, but he was off to a surprising start for Kevin Youkilis. Seven games, seven strikeouts, has only walked twice. Very un-Youkilis-like. What are your eyes telling you?'

Valentine: "The walks came yesterday. He's had a couple of big at-bats where he's really gotten into it. I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason, but yesterday it seemed like he's seeing the ball well. He got those two walks, he got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he'll move on from there."

Same with what Pedey said

"I know that Youk plays as hard as anybody I've ever seen in my life,"Pedroia said. "I have his back, and his teammates have his back. We know how hard he plays. I don't really understand what Bobby's trying to do. But that's really not the way we go about our stuff here. I'm sure he'll figure that out soon."
Added Pedroia: "We've got Youk's back. He's played his [butt] off for us for a long time. Anytime he steps on the field, he's a great player. We're here to win, and we're here to win with him."

Asked if he thought Valentine's comments could have been meant as a motivational tool, Pedroia didn't sound impressed.
"Maybe in Japan or something," he said, referring to Valentine's stint as a manager there. "Over here in the U.S., we're on a three-game winning streak, we want to feel good and keep it rolling. We feel we have a good team and we've just got to get each other's backs and play together. Because if you don't do that, I don't care what sport you're playing, you're not going to win."

Pedroia said he had not yet talked to Valentine about the issue.

"I'll talk to Bobby and talk to everybody," he said. "We'll figure it out."

Im not a big Bobby V fan but I think the media is just waiting for him to say something, anything that they can run with. I heard it live last night and it actually sounded to me like he was sticking up for Youks saying he didnt start off well and hasnt gotten into his usual groove yet but it looks like hes getting into one now.

Mountain out of a molehill.

"I know that Youk plays as hard as anyone I've ever seen in my life," Pedroia said. "I have his back, and his teammates have his back and we know how hard he plays. I don't really understand what Bobby's trying to do, but that's really not the way we go about our stuff here. I'm sure he'll figure that out soon."

Not much reading between the lines required there. Would be interested to hear Cherringtons opinion on this now.

If he's smart he'll shut up and try to deal with it internally.
It's about time someone started getting stuck into the prima donna players. Players should NEVER dictate terms to management. Bobby V needs to stick to his guns and take a hard line approach. I don't care if this season is wasted as long as management reinforces they are the guys who make the decisions, not the players.

For the record, I wanted the Sox to keep Beltre ahead of Youkilis. I didn't think Bobby V was harsh on Youk at all either.

Last edited:
I agree with you......They just "cherry picked" a part of what he said in his full answer to make the media wire light up. In all honesty, I love Youk. One of Sox' all time greats in terms of work ethic, scrappiness, and toughness. But, he has been off to a slow start this year. He is coming back from injury and has not played like the old youk so far this year. He also doesn't seem to have the same fire for whatever reason....and rumors are flying out there that he was the one who spoke with Schilling and was one of the guys rolling his eyes when Bobby V was mentioned. Now since there is NO confirmation of those rumors....I'm not even trying to say it is true.....but he may not be that happy with Bobby V's ways. Everyone liked Tito. He was easy going, didn't get down on the guys for anything, very lenient, didn't micromanage....he(( they could even drink beer and eat fried chicken in the dugout!! :))

My feeling is....GIVE VALENTINE a CHANCE here people!!! The guy just coached the team to 3 out of 4 wins against one of, if not THE best pitching team in the league. He has gotten them back to playing sound fundamental baseball. I think he still could have great success here IF the fans and owners give the guy a break! I think alot of people see Bobby V the commentator and Bobby V the coach as "the same guy". That is like saying Tedy is the same guy as a commentator as he was as a player.....NOT SO Imho....Tedy is saying things now to DRIVE ratings....Bobby did it too.....Cowherd talks about this crap all the time.....Anyways, all I am saying......Is give Bobby a chance.....(To the tune of John Lennon's give peace a chance.)

You guys are doing what the mediots did, your taking one part of what he said and not everything else he said, different context if you heard it live or read all of what he said

Same with what Pedey said

Im not a big Bobby V fan but I think the media is just waiting for him to say something, anything that they can run with. I heard it live last night and it actually sounded to me like he was sticking up for Youks saying he didnt start off well and hasnt gotten into his usual groove yet but it looks like hes getting into one now.

Mountain out of a molehill.

It's about time someone started getting stuck into the prima donna players. Players should NEVER dictate terms to management. Bobby V needs to stick to his guns and take a hard line approach. I don't care if this season is wasted as long as management reinforces they are the guys who make the decisions, not the players.

For the record, I wanted the Sox to keep Beltre ahead of Youkilis. I didn't think Bobby V was harsh on Youk at all either.
FWIW, I don't think Pedey was dictating anything to Valentine.

Valentine used the media to get to Youk. Pedey used the Media to get to Valentine.
If Valentine doesn't have the neccessary tools to phrase comments about his players in the proper manner then the players have free will to say what they want in my opinion.

I agree with you......They just "cherry picked" a part of what he said in his full answer to make the media wire light up. In all honesty, I love Youk. One of Sox' all time greats in terms of work ethic, scrappiness, and toughness. But, he has been off to a slow start this year. He is coming back from injury and has not played like the old youk so far this year. He also doesn't seem to have the same fire for whatever reason....and rumors are flying out there that he was the one who spoke with Schilling and was one of the guys rolling his eyes when Bobby V was mentioned. Now since there is NO confirmation of those rumors....I'm not even trying to say it is true.....but he may not be that happy with Bobby V's ways. Everyone liked Tito. He was easy going, didn't get down on the guys for anything, very lenient, didn't micromanage....he(( they could even drink beer and eat fried chicken in the dugout!! :))

My feeling is....GIVE VALENTINE a CHANCE here people!!! The guy just coached the team to 3 out of 4 wins against one of, if not THE best pitching team in the league. He has gotten them back to playing sound fundamental baseball. I think he still could have great success here IF the fans and owners give the guy a break! I think alot of people see Bobby V the commentator and Bobby V the coach as "the same guy". That is like saying Tedy is the same guy as a commentator as he was as a player.....NOT SO Imho....Tedy is saying things now to DRIVE ratings....Bobby did it too.....Cowherd talks about this crap all the time.....Anyways, all I am saying......Is give Bobby a chance.....(To the tune of John Lennon's give peace a chance.)
Listening to Merloni and Mutnanski today and then Ordway and Minihane nearly made me physically ill. The media had/has a love affair with Tito (who, by the way, I think was the best manager the RS have ever had) that borders on an obsession and BV won't play ball with them so they're going to trash him at every turn. Baseball players have to be the most thin-skinned, entitled athletes ever (not just the RS) and Tito, Theo and the managent team created this entitled bunch of whiners (most of whom I like individually) and now it's all Valentine's fault. What a load of crap.

The big guns are meeting the boys in Seattle. Might be bye-bye to Bobby V.

The big guns are meeting the boys in Seattle. Might be bye-bye to Bobby V.

At first I thought it wrong to can him ... but he has to go.

Sad how it went for him but life is all about challenges and he failed this one.

At first I thought it wrong to can him ... but he has to go.

Sad how it went for him but life is all about challenges and he failed this one.

I was never a fan of his. I lived in Texas (Rangers) for his tenure there so had a preview of him well before his arrival here. Honestly, all the guy ever did was lose.

I was never a fan of his. I lived in Texas (Rangers) for his tenure there so had a preview of him well before his arrival here. Honestly, all the guy ever did was lose.

You know it's kind of funny in a way. I think back to my high school days and i remember all the super bright kids. Thought it strange how many of them had poor people skills and horrible common sense. I was a kid ... what did i know ... but it made no sense.

That reminds me of Valentine ... everyone says this guy is like a genius. I don't doubt them - I am sure they are right. But you need to have common sense and people skills. Belichick is very bright himself ... not sure if he is a genius but he has to be close. yet he has the common sense and people skills ... the rest is history.

Francona was not mensa material. Never pretended to be Mensa material. His people skills and his common sense were off the charts. I envy who gets him next as their manager ... I really do. I don't want John Farrell either ... a great coach who is a lousy manager. I want a manager who exudes confidence and winning - let's hope Ben gets that guy.

Dead man walking..

The team they fielded yesterday is a low AAA team, do not recognize half of the players.. who do not care anyways.

This is bordering upon the absurd..

You know it's kind of funny in a way. I think back to my high school days and i remember all the super bright kids. Thought it strange how many of them had poor people skills and horrible common sense. I was a kid ... what did i know ... but it made no sense.

That reminds me of Valentine ... everyone says this guy is like a genius. I don't doubt them - I am sure they are right. But you need to have common sense and people skills. Belichick is very bright himself ... not sure if he is a genius but he has to be close. yet he has the common sense and people skills ... the rest is history.

Francona was not mensa material. Never pretended to be Mensa material. His people skills and his common sense were off the charts. I envy who gets him next as their manager ... I really do. I don't want John Farrell either ... a great coach who is a lousy manager. I want a manager who exudes confidence and winning - let's hope Ben gets that guy.

It's like when your taking an SAT, and your halfway thru the exam and a person gets up and turns their exam in, they are done! Problem is, that is only a third of intelligence. That person might not even be able to tie their shoe. I always remember the Hawk (LMFAO) becoming the White Sox GM, and pronouncing he was going to surround himself with players who had great careers (not those exact words). So Ken, is your first step to fire yourself. Not to mention, go through the list of great managers and one will find the best were not good players. For some reason Valentine and LaRussa got a lot of press when they were young. One worked out.

Dead man walking..

The team they fielded yesterday is a low AAA team, do not recognize half of the players.. who do not care anyways.

This is bordering upon the absurd..

I think he wants to get canned Darryl ... not sure John henry sees that.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back