PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fire Josh McDaniels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, there will in all likelihood never be another chance to complete a 19-0 season. That's a kind of immortality you don't get just by winning the Super Bowl - just ask the 72 Dolphins.

If my life was still defined by something that happened 35 years ago, I'd feel pretty pathetic. Sure, 19-0 would be special, but it's overrated. We still surpased the 17-0 Dolphins by going 18-0. They're a bunch of has-been old farts trying to live on past glory and look ridiculous trying to play it up now. Screw 'em.

Last edited:
Yeah, McDaniels missed a lot of blocks didnt he?
Come on,get a grip. When your offensive line gets beaten in individual battles, adjustments arent the problem.

But go ahead and tell me what adjustments YOU in your infinite genius would have made.
Keeping more blockers in? Did that
Run the ball more? Did that
Screens? Did that.
Spread the field? Did that.

Steve Grogan: I would have like to have seen the Patriots spread it out and go to that five-wide receiver formation and use that quick passing game that had been so successful for them all year. Maybe they even should have gone no-huddle and let Tom Brady just try and pick them apart. The other thing they could have done is go to two tight ends and let them help block before they got out into their pass routes, but they just didn't seem to try and help the offensive line when you could tell they were struggling.

I agree with Grogan. They played cautiously, instead of playing like they had all season. No-huddle, five wide, shotgun. Where was that in the first three quarters?

Josh McDaniels has no experience coaching offensive linemen. That's probably his biggest shortcoming as an offensive coordinator. By all accounts, Dante is an excellent coach, but that leaves the offensive brainpower somewhat compartmentalized. It's not the optimum situation, but let's face it--based on the Patriots' offense this season, if JMD had a little broader base of experience, he'd be somebody's newly-hired head coach today, and BB would be looking for another OC.

I do not think Josh should be fired.

I do think BB learned a valuable lesson about over confidence and the folly of excessive PRIDE.

After the first drive, the Giants adjusted their defensive scheme. We did not counter that adjustment.
Nothing the Giants did Sunday was any different than anything we have seen all year from other teams. And nothing the Giants did was not something that we have dealt with and defeated sometime in the previous 20 weeks. Not one new blitz or coverage did the Giants throw at us.
The problem was that we did not counter. All season long we have changed things up to counter what the opposing defenses were doing. Everything the Giants did, we have an answer for and have used it successfully in the past.
I think BB chose not to counter. I believe he wanted to prove to the world that he could win his way. Win with an offense in the wrong formation to effectively counter the Giants blitz happy scheme. Hey, look at me, I am BB and I can take the Giants best shot and win without adjusting a lick. Win! despite fielding a mostly ancient defensive back eight and without a dominant pass rush; while playing soft zones, EVEN with less than 2 minutes in the game. Hey look at me, I am BB and my defense makes big plays on demand in crucial moments of games. LInebackers put up those oxygen maskes, there is work to be done on the field. Who cares that you have been out there for almost 40 minutes already because I am too subborn to change up my offensive plays.

In other words BB choked on his over inflated PRIDE. And we have to live with the consequences. Now I truly know how the Rams fans felt 6 years ago.

I do not think Josh should be fired.

I do think BB learned a valuable lesson about over confidence and the folly of excessive PRIDE.

I'm not sure pride is the issue. Sure, BB has an ego, but so does every HC. At least he's not like Billick or guys like him who insist on calling their own plays and doing everything. BB barely even watches the offense a lot of the time.

I think Josh went through the game assuming that the OL would eventually start to block like they had all season, and it never happened. Not a lot of teams got pressure like that on Brady all year, not even the Giants, so I think it's not surprising it was sort of a deer in the headlights type situation.

Firing JM, a young and talented coach who just led this offense to the highest point total of all time, based on one game, would be the height of idiocy.

The failure to protect Brady in the 3 quarters after it was obvious he was getting crushed is the greatest Super Bowl coaching failure I have ever seen.

Where the hell was the RB / FB assistance?

Where the hell were the draw plays?

Where the hell were the short passes in the first 3 quarters?

Where the hell were adjustments of ANY sort????!

McDaniels was a spectacular failure. I don't blame the OL.. I blame the coaching.

Do the right thing. FIRE JOSH MCDANIELS.

I've been saying this as well.....This guy did absolutely NOTHING to offset the blitz and incredible pressure that the Gints were bringing,......How about some hurry ups.....why didn't we suit up 3 TE's to begin with? Given Troy Brown's experience in SB....and that he was completely healthy....why was he sitting on the bench? How can you have Randy Moss, Stallworth (who has been underutilized by McD all year, Gaffney, Maroney, Watson, Welker and Faulk and NOT PUT MORE THAN 14 points on the board. When the Gints bring the house on EVERY FUGGIN play.....MAKE THEM PAY somehow.....Get creative.....Josh has rarely shown that he can adjust like that and get creative.....He is really too young and too "green" to be and OC......We need a creative, clever, seasoned OC to command this high powered offense....but doubt you will see it next year.....get ready to be flamed man.....but I for one agree

Yeah, McDaniels missed a lot of blocks didnt he?
Come on,get a grip. When your offensive line gets beaten in individual battles, adjustments arent the problem.

But go ahead and tell me what adjustments YOU in your infinite genius would have made.
Keeping more blockers in? Did that
Run the ball more? Did that
Screens? Did that.
Spread the field? Did that.

Ok then Andy the great prognosticator..... What would you have done to get Randy Moss, Maroney, and Stallworth (and many others) more INVOLVED in the offense? Should the pats have just accepted that "hey they are going to blow us off the ball....so let's just run this thing out here and go home"....or SHOULD THEY have made some kind of adjustments to keep the gints on their heels....MAKE THEM THINK a bit? When you get COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE like our offense got.....You might as well walk off the field and concede the game......Alot of people gave Charlie Weis a ton of sh## for his OC calling sometimes.....but ONE Thing (if not more....I liked Charlie overall) Weis would do is say "Oh.....ok your going to bring the house at me......Here's a screen pass or a quick out to make you think about doing that every play.....here's a whole string of no huddles.....how's your wind holding up....oh you are a little tired there.....here comes the run now......Mix it up....ADJUST!!!.......I know that much of the blame is on the players here......but a ton of blame has to be on the poor adjustments on both sides of the ball made by our coach and OC/DC.....piss poor performance.......By the way Andy....that was the first Piss Poor prediction I have seen you make........nothing was right this year.....

If my life was still defined by something that happened 35 years ago, I'd feel pretty pathetic. Sure, 19-0 would be special, but it's overrated. We still surpased the 17-0 Dolphins by going 18-0. They're a bunch of has-been old farts trying to live on past glory and look ridiculous trying to play it up now. Screw 'em.

I could not agree with you MORE.....If the 72 doofins had any CLASS and INTEGRITY,....which they obviosuly DO NOT......then they would have surely given us the HONOR and CREDIT that we deserved by beating their record of 17-0. We are the NEW OWNERS of the Perfect Regular Season record by going 16-0 in regular season.....we ECLIPSED their record of 17-0......

Now SURELY, you would figure that they would realize....that what we had accomplished in this era where the Pats ballboy is FASTER than Mercury "Crackhead Bob" Morris.......that they should have shown some class and recognized the INCREDIBLE and HISTORIC VALUE of that moment......but all they are now is pathetic, crotchety (sp), ignorant, and classless.....how friggin sad are they? ....And everyone knows it.......Shula has lost A TON OF CREDIBILITY and class from all the people that I have spoken to......what a demented DBAG!

can the mods let NEM post in this thread?

i think that would be super

I would agree that the game plan in the superbowl was by far the worst of the season. But fire him? That's insane. With the Giants contuning to not care whether the Pats ran the football or not, they were coming after Brady relentlesly. I thought the Pats would come out the second half and screen the Giants to death until their D-line stopped running around like chickens with their head's cut off. The Giants linebackers are average, they only look good because their D-line is ridiculous. I really wanted to see Maroney/Faulk running with the ball in space. I think they could have done some real damage. Oh well.

Last edited:
The failure to protect Brady in the 3 quarters after it was obvious he was getting crushed is the greatest Super Bowl coaching failure I have ever seen.

Where the hell was the RB / FB assistance?

Where the hell were the draw plays?

Where the hell were the short passes in the first 3 quarters?

Where the hell were adjustments of ANY sort????!

McDaniels was a spectacular failure. I don't blame the OL.. I blame the coaching.

Do the right thing. FIRE JOSH MCDANIELS.

Well your stupid if you dont blame the O-line. They spent the whole game they were on the ground.

1. Our O-line may not be the best in the league. It is good.
2. Our Defense may not have pulled out the magic stop. It is,however, good.
3. Our receiving corps many have faded down the stretch. It is good.
4. Our QB may not have been himself in the SB. He is good.
5. Josh McDaniel may not have scored more than 14 on Sunday. But he scored a record number of points the rest of the season. He is good until proven otherwise.

Get your head around it, guys, this is a very good football team. We need to upgrade and shore up in specific areas.

But everything that was good all year did not suddenly turn to shlitz. We lost a big game. That is it - not, "we were sketchy all season and it caught up to us." We simply lost a big game.

You always try to get better, anywhere you can. We'll see the cap situation start settling out, and that will tell us how much we have for groceries, how much restructuring has to happen, etc.

Bear in mind we can get some of what we want, in terms of talent. The rest of the edge we need, we will get through the draft and through what I think is still a damn good coaching staff.

Fire Josh McDaniels? Right now, you have got to be high. He needs to do a lot more slipping than that to get sh**-canned. Something tells me he's got a very, very bright future ahead of him.

And think about this: do you think for one minute he takes himself out of the running for a HC position preemptively, if he thinks "I'll never get this chance again! It was all the talent around me, and they're buying it!"

No, he thinks he needs to get back and win a super bowl before taking over a team of his own... and making that decision tells me he's not some lost little chump out there. He knows what he's about, you just disagree with him sometimes.

Why no 3 TE sets in the SB? Spach didn't make the trip. Why not kick the 45-yarder? Because Gostkowski couldn't keep the ball within the field on the previous kickoff. Should they have trusted him? Eh, sure. Maybe. But they did the quick math and said "screw it... we're going for it."

Know what I thought about that one? They kept doing these things that looked like they would be "momentum changers," these "blow the game open" plays that would punch a hole in those pesky passrushing Giants. But it never happened.

For every game plan that never works out, the flip side is, if it did, he'd be a genius. It's a matter of how many of each kind you come up with. So far it looks like he comes up with a lot more good than bad... but of course, it IS the week after a SB loss.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey