PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fire Josh McDaniels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Redskins-Raiders Super Bowl is an outstanding example. Yes, some fans have a point that the shot at 19-0 made Super Bowl 42 special. But in 1983, the Redskins had what very much was that era's version of the 2007 Patriot offense. The total meltdown against the Raiders was every bit as stunning, if not even more so in that the Skins got only 9 points.

Thanks for the input.
Thanks, seriously, for the historical perspective. It helps it feel better - a little - to know that our misery has company.

BTW, does anyone else (besides me) remember the 71 Bruins? Orr, Espo, Bucyk, Cheesy, Sanderson, Pie MacKenzie, etc. Broke every scoring record in the book, then lost in the semifinals to the Canadiens and a hot, previously unknown rookie goaltender named Ken Dryden. That was definitely a case of overconfidence - it came out later that the players were out drinking and partying on the night before games, etc.

I don't think the Pats did that, but I think they did buy into the hype a little bit - it's almost impossible not too when everyone is calling you one of the greatest teams of all time before you even win the Super Bowl.

Yeah... 26 years later it still sucks... people here talk about it more than ya think :)

The pain will ebb and flow for you guys over the years depending on your true loyalties :)

One way to make it *poof* ... do it next year... while the NFL might be laughing right now... everyone fears the Pats and everyone knows it was a fooking fluke.

OH Harry -- remember all the "Stickem" in that game? Raiders had it all over their helmets, jerseys, hands, arms, jocks..... LMAO....

Props to Marcus Allen .. hell of a game. Plunkett / Theismann = UTTER Rivals.... even in college they hated each other battling for the Heisman.

Last edited:
LOL. One of the most prolific offenses of all time and an AFC championship.

You think McDaniels had much to do with the offensive success???

You make my sister OC over Brady, Moss, Welker, Maroney, and co, and they'd still set records.

Yeah... 26 years later it still sucks... people here talk about it more than ya think :)

The pain will ebb and flow for you guys over the years depending on your true loyalties :)

One way to make it *poof* ... do it next year... while the NFL might be laughing right now... everyone fears the Pats and everyone knows it was a ******* fluke.
Thanks - and you're right. Boston Red Sox fans remember losing the ALCS to the "hated Yankees" in 2003 when Grady Little wouldn't take out Pedro Martinez - who everyone else in the world could see was completely gassed - then won the World Series (86 years since the previous win) in 2004. That did ease the pain. Still, there will in all likelihood never be another chance to complete a 19-0 season. That's a kind of immortality you don't get just by winning the Super Bowl - just ask the 72 Dolphins.

Thanks - and you're right. Boston Red Sox fans remember losing the ALCS to the "hated Yankees" in 2003 when Grady Little wouldn't take out Pedro Martinez - who everyone else in the world could see was completely gassed - then won the World Series (86 years since the previous win) in 2004. That did ease the pain. Still, there will in all likelihood never be another chance to complete a 19-0 season. That's a kind of immortality you don't get just by winning the Super Bowl - just ask the 72 Dolphins.

If there is a team that can? Over any team I have ever seen ever EVAR! The Pats can do it.

Brady moves the ball at will.

NEM, is that you?

Give credit to the Giants With that said though I still think we should have gone hurry up to tire them out and slow down the rush considering they were subbing DL's all day long to keep them fresh.......that and a few screens would have been nice!

You make my sister OC over Brady, Moss, Welker, Maroney, and co, and they'd still set records.
I know exactly what you mean. Offensive coordinators are only impediments to success. I can't imagine why teams keep hiring them to run their offenses.

LOL! I love you guys who say McDaniels has no responsibility when the offense does great and most of the blame when the offense sputters. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If this offense could have broken all these records with anyone at OC, that means McDaniels isn't responsible at all in the Super Bowl loss. That means the offense players didn't do their job.

Besides, Moss hasn't had a good year in three years. Welker did better this year than he has for his entire career prior to joining the Patriots. People wanted to cut Maroney in early December and were leading a rallying cry to draft McFadden. Also, before he got put on IR, Sammy Morris had back to back 100 yard games. And people were perplexed why the Pats even signed Morris in the offseason.

I'm sorry but this isn't the most talented team of all time at every position on offense. You can make a case for Brady and maybe Moss, but none of the other guys. I know people refuse to give McDaniels the slightest bit of credit, but he deserves a lot of credit for this year.

offtopic maybe but had the Pats won...

My vote for MVP = Welker....

That little dude is an absolute machine.

Look, we're all upset about what happened Sunday. And I do agree with you that it is about players. Everyone thought Norm Chow was a genius at USC when he had Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Steve Smith, Dominique Byrd, and Dwayne Jarrett to go with one of the best offensive lines college football has ever seen. Barely a couple years later, Norm found himself sh*tcanned by the Titans.

All that said, I do believe that McDaniels was an integral part of the offensive success. I have no doubt that every Patriot player and coach to a man would say the same. All year, all we heard about was how the Patriots had so many weapons. Well, McDaniels was the reason why we heard about all of them and why New England was able to use them. Moss as the deep threat, Welker on the hot routes, Stallworth on the WR screens, Gaffney as the 2nd-, 3rd-, or 4th read with plenty of speed and skill to serve as a threat on any given play, Faulk as the safety valve, Evans with the power, and finally Maroney.

When teams tried to take away the big plays, New England went to its short passing game (as against Jacksonville), and it worked to pefection. When Brady wasn't himself, and the receivers were covered and the weather was a problem - as against San Diego - McDaniels adjusted deftly and attacked with three-tight end sets and went with the power and the running of Maroney.

It might not seem like it now, but it's not simply a matter of telling this vastly-talented group of players: "hey, guys, go line up and play." Even with as talented as New England's offense was this year, it still took someone to coordinate it and make the not-small transition from what New England's offense used to be to this year's version and it's 5-wide shotgun sets and numerous looks.

It's hard to remember everything that went right this year after everything went so wrong in such a historical Super Bowl, but for the most part Josh did do a great job, IMHO. And with no offense meant in the least, I think he did a better job than your sister could do. We can be mad about what happened in such a historic game, but Josh was part of the reason why NE was there in the first place, and part of the reason why NE was there undefeated and with such a prolific offense. JMO.

Last edited:
OH Harry -- remember all the "Stickem" in that game? Raiders had it all over their helmets, jerseys, hands, arms, jocks..... LMAO....

DC,
I think I do, but honestly, only vaguely. I have to admit - I'm only 30 myself. :) What I know of the game comes largely from having read about it and having watched the NFL Films edition of it ("Black Sunday," or whatever it's called).

DC,
I think I do, but honestly, only vaguely. I have to admit - I'm only 30 myself. :) What I know of the game comes largely from having read about it and having watched the NFL Films edition of it ("Black Sunday," or whatever it's called).

Black indeed!

I agree. And perhaps Bill should simply get better coordinators, and not be afraid that they might overshow him in his greatness.

There's that latent mg distain for Belichick raising it's ugly head yet again.
Well, that might be an option for Dean. For the offense a talent upgrade at Oline would probably do a lot more good...

And who knows, maybe it's time for Dante to hit the road. I thought I recalled reading that he was MIA on media day.

Yeah, McDaniels missed a lot of blocks didnt he?
Come on,get a grip. When your offensive line gets beaten in individual battles, adjustments arent the problem.

But go ahead and tell me what adjustments YOU in your infinite genius would have made.
Keeping more blockers in? Did that
Run the ball more? Did that
Screens? Did that.
Spread the field? Did that.

There is little point in trying to reason with them. I think some have lapsed into the 4th stage of grief for Pat's fans, NEMification.

The Epic Fail wasn't Josh McDaniels. Honestly bud, for some reason the Pats couldn't handle what the Giants brought to the table.

It was simply lost on the field, in the trenches, between the hash-marks.

I don't think ANYONE thought the Giants had a chance. I know how you guys must be feeling... not just losing the one that mattered.. but having the entire NFL laughing under their breaths...

I feel bad for you guys. The feeling will go away eventually. I remember how bad I felt when the Skins got beat by the Raiders....

I think firing Josh McDaniels is a bit extreme. It wasn't just the offense that blew the game but a myriad of examples like, poor defense to stop the game winning drive and trying to convert on that fourth and long, instead of going for the field goal are some of the major things that went wrong in the game. Also, the Patriots were making a lot of mental errors, false starts and blowing assignments, very uncharacteristic of them. It takes more than one person to blow a game that badly.

By the way DCSkinsFan, it is nice to see another Redskins fan on this forum. I will say it is kind of odd how the last three teams, including the Pats, that broke the scoring record in a season didn't win the Superbowl; or in the 98 Vikings case, didn't even reach the big game.

Last edited:
Why don't we also fire the entire offensive line too, while we're at it ?

This is plain silly... It was a close, hard fought game and in the end, some key plays did not work in our favor and the Giants caught some real breaks ... Eli's sack (almost !!) then the miraculous 'helmet catch' .. Asante missing ... Harrison failing to knock the ball away or intercept... etc. etc.

It was not our day and it had to happen in the most crucial game.. that's the way the dice sometimes rolls.

I think it's time to move on and as long as we have Brady, BB and make a few changes, I think we'll be ok for next year. In fact, I think we'll go back to the Superbowl this time around and win (most likely against Green Bay or Dallas). Next year, the favorites will make it... This year was quite a wild one.

In the SuperBowls the Giants have won... The Redskins have gone on to win the next one :) book it :)

NFCBeast

if the defense would have held with less than a minute left... the Pats win... Brady is the greatest ever... 2007 Pats are the greatest ever... Mercury Morris shuts his stupid annoying pie-hole.. and we all dance into the sunset.. nobody gets fired..... but that didnt happen.. so we have to fire Josh?... hmmmm..... i think i will let BB make the big decisions

In the SuperBowls the Giants have won... The Redskins have gone on to win the next one :) book it :)

NFCBeast

Well I hope that is a trend that continues next season. My dream match would be Redskins vs Patriots in the Superbowl next year.

NFCBeast

booked for next January when the skins don't even make the playoffs....bold prediction coming from a 'whos' the QB' team...just come remember to come back eat u know what Skins..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes