PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fins sign Joey Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joey Porter is a 3-4 OLB who does his best work when rushing the passer from the outside. Occasionally covers TEs/RBs or plays a flat/hook zone.

I am pretty sure in Miami they run a 4-3.
Where he will be forced to play a 4-3 LB at either the will or sam positions since Thomas plays Mike.

As a will he will be forced to chase plays down from behind and as a sam he will be force to man up on the TE. Neither objectives are ones that he's played much over his career.

The transition should be interesting to watch as Joey will make wrong reads and blow coverage assignments early on in the season.
Considering his temperament as a player (angry, emotional) that will play into the occasion as well.

But I wonder do fins phans realize he will have to learn a new position any way you look at it?

Good grief. It's hard to hate division rival fans when they when they come this misinformed. I don't know what funnier... this post, or the entire thread arguing Miami was "fleeced" into accepting 2 draft picks for Welker - when the tender only required one. LOL

Just in case noone else comes along to correct "TheBaron"... the Dolphins have been running a 3-4 base defense since 2005, and their defensive coordinator is Dom Capers (an acknowledged 3-4 expert).

How long before Joey lays a big wet kiss on Cam just like he did with Cowher?

Good grief. It's hard to hate division rival fans when they when they come this misinformed. I don't know what funnier... this post, or the entire thread arguing Miami was "fleeced" into accepting 2 draft picks for Welker - when the tender only required one. LOL

Just in case noone else comes along to correct "TheBaron"... the Dolphins have been running a 3-4 base defense since 2005, and their defensive coordinator is Dom Capers (an acknowledged 3-4 expert).

wow a dol-phan personal attack.
wrong. The dolphins play both. (see quote below)
Not a true full time 3-4 like the steelers.
So like my original post stated:
PORTER WILL have to learn a new position.

OH and your "an acknowledged 3-4 expert" went 2-14 in houston in 2005 before being fired. His best season was in 2004 when he went a brilliant 7-9 despite working 17 hour days. Oh yeah and he's the NFL's highest paid assistant coach. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Capers). Sweet deal for such a winning coach "expert" coach.

(http://dolphins.scout.com/2/534400.html)
Q. Do you get the feeling you guys will be playing more 3-4 defense next season?

Thomas: “I'm not sure. I think we're trying to get that way. But we've got a lot of mix-up defenses. We threw a couple teams off last year when they were preparing for the 3-4 the whole time. So later in the game, we went to the 4-3. It definitely helps to have both. It makes them think a lot more.”

Last edited:
wrong. The dolphins play both. (see quote below)
Not a true full time 3-4 like the steelers.
So like my original post stated:
PORTER WILL have to learn a new position.

OH and your "an acknowledged 3-4 expert" went 2-14 in houston in 2005 before being fired. His best season was in 2004 when he went a brilliant 7-9 despite working 17 hour days. Oh yeah and he's the NFL's highest paid assistant coach. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Capers). Sweet deal for such a winning coach "expert" coach.

(http://dolphins.scout.com/2/534400.html)
Q. Do you get the feeling you guys will be playing more 3-4 defense next season?

Thomas: “I'm not sure. I think we're trying to get that way. But we've got a lot of mix-up defenses. We threw a couple teams off last year when they were preparing for the 3-4 the whole time. So later in the game, we went to the 4-3. It definitely helps to have both. It makes them think a lot more.”

We are A 4-3/3-4 hybrid. But as they have learned we rely on the 3-4 much more now. Officially it's a hybrid D with 4 line positions LE, NT, DT, OE....3 Lb's
and 4 DB's. The thing is the DT is a 290 lb tweener...and so is the OE..so if we go to the 3-4 Jason stands up and vonnie holliday switches from DT to RE.

Since we have hired Dom capers (who coached Joey porter at pittsburgh) we have used the 3-4 much more often. Especially with how Jason and the SLB lines up. Generally we have them roving behind the D-line constantly moving to mess up the offensive blocking.

You could say the $$ was too much, and i would have agreed, until this season and all the second tier guys started getting blockbuster contracts.

Bottom line: He's switching teams but not defenses. And he may be declining in performance, but even that is a definate upgrade over Donnie spragan.

Watch out now! Fins will break 6 wins in 2007!!!!!!

Last edited:
Typical Fins FA signing ......chasing the previous years players who are in a decline. They have no perception of forecasting a player's worth this season.

I wonder how many heads have exploded over at jetsinsider.

This was their big fish. "Better than AD".:rofl:

No no no, they got Thomas Jones, they are Super Bowl bound now!!!:D

wrong. The dolphins play both. (see quote below) Not a true full time 3-4 like the steelers. So like my original post stated: PORTER WILL have to learn a new position.

The Dolphins do play both (as do the Patriots)... but they are a base 3-4 defense, regardless of the MAY 2006 Thomas quote you cite below - where he discusses the 2005 season.

PS - Pointing out ignorance, can hardly be called a personal attack. :)

Might be relevant if Capers were our head coach, but much more relevant is his record as a defensive coordinator... at Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. Talk to anyone with the least bit of objectivity - and you'll discover that Capers is one of the most respected defensive minds in the entire league. Heck... ask Tom Brady his opinion after that MONSTER 78 yard effort of his in the Pats/Dolphins 2nd contest last year. :)

Watch out Mr. Brady. Taylor always gave Brady a tough time, imagine what it will be like now. Good luck trying to block that Dolphins' pass rush this year. What a sign, I'm thrilled!

Watch out Mr. Brady. Taylor always gave Brady a tough time, imagine what it will be like now. Good luck trying to block that Dolphins' pass rush this year. What a sign, I'm thrilled!

It won't matter. Without a QB Miami is going nowhere next year.

porter could be the daunte culpepper of the miami defense. every steelers fan i know was happy to see him go as a person and a player. it is well known he is a malcontent but it's less well known how much his play dropped off this year. and the fins paying $20MM guaranteed money assumes the guy plays as good as possibly can be expected. this could backfire for their defensive future just like daunte doomed their offense.

porter could be the daunte culpepper of the miami defense. every steelers fan i know was happy to see him go as a person and a player. it is well known he is a malcontent but it's less well known how much his play dropped off this year. and the fins paying $20MM guaranteed money assumes the guy plays as good as possibly can be expected. this could backfire for their defensive future just like daunte doomed their offense.

I don't pitty the misinformed!

Why does a team enter re-building mode by stockpiling draft picks and letting proven veterans go for future cap space...only to sign a 30 year old declining linebacker to add to an already aging defense?

Not a good signing by the Fins.

Last edited:
Why does a team enter re-building mode by stockpiling draft picks and letting proven veterans go for future cap space...only to sign a 30 year old declining linebacker to add to an already aging defense?

Not a good signing by the Fins.

Letting go proven veterans?? Like who? Isn't it Pat fans that love to tell us Dolphin fans our O sucks, now we let them go and we're lettign proven veterans go?? Do you even know what you're talking about?? We needed to up grade our OLB position, we did that with Porter. We are releasing players that don't catch well, block well or run well. What exactly have we lost other then Welker??

We still have Chambers, Brown, Booker, Culpepper 3/5's of our Oline, we also have 9 picks in the draft 3 in the top 60. FA just started 4 days ago, their is sill a lot of talent to be had.

Last edited:

I'm not comparing the Bears to the Dolphins, but Chicago went pretty far with no QB last season. Besides, Daunte is working out every day and will actully be healthy this time around.

I'm not comparing the Bears to the Dolphins, but Chicago went pretty far with no QB last season. Besides, Daunte is working out every day and will actully be healthy this time around.

Rex Grossman is better thn anything the fins have on their roster now.

I'd be very happy about this signing if I was a Fins fan. Finally something other than a cut, FA loss, or trade away. But what do I know.

Also the Bears had the luxury of playing in the terrible NFC. They wouldn't have made it past the divisional round had they played in the AFC.

Check this out:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Said one league source: "Anyone who watched Porter on tape this year concluded that he was done, as in 'stick a fork in him' done. The Dolphins paid way too much."

and then it goes on to say:

Porter is, in our view, a glorified cheerleader who might still have some gas in the tank. But not $20 million of it.

Porter is, in our view, a glorified cheerleader who might still have some gas in the tank. But not $20 million of it.

Gas prices are going up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back