PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fins sign Joey Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
A television station in Pittsburgh is reporting free agent LB Joey Porter will sign a five-year, $24 million contract with the Miami Dolphins.

The report says Porter will get $12 million to sign, a hefty figure, but this is a great addition to coordinator Dom Capers' defense. Porter, 30 in March, should still have three-to-four quality years left and is a big upgrade over Donnie Spragan. Miami could still add linebacker help in the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=653

Good move by them, Porter and Taylor on opposite sides will be tough to block.

Good thing their offense sucks and the rest of the D is continually getting older....

A television station in Pittsburgh is reporting free agent LB Joey Porter will sign a five-year, $24 million contract with the Miami Dolphins.

The report says Porter will get $12 million to sign, a hefty figure, but this is a great addition to coordinator Dom Capers' defense. Porter, 30 in March, should still have three-to-four quality years left and is a big upgrade over Donnie Spragan. Miami could still add linebacker help in the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=653

ouch. let's just hope he continues to decline as he did last year.

So, will Joey become known as the "Mouth of the South", or has someone else claimed that title already?

For some reason, and I don't know why, I'm much more comfortable with him going to the Fins rather than to the JeSts as was rumored yesterday. Don't think I could stand him in green and white.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that linebacker Joey Porter's contract with the Dolphins is worth $32.5 million over five years, with a whopping $20 million in guaranteed money.

Joey Porter has never really scared me. I'd take Vrabel over him. Still get good production without the attitude.

Very close to what AD got paid, evidently.

One thing's for sure -- the Fins will continue to be able to get "up" for Patriot games. :(

Good move by them, Porter and Taylor on opposite sides will be tough to block.

Good thing their offense sucks and the rest of the D is continually getting older....

Roth is no slouch either, their D will be stout as always. Lets hope our tackles are up to the challenge and our WRs can defeat the jam.

I wonder how many heads have exploded over at jetsinsider.

This was their big fish. "Better than AD".:rofl:

I wonder how many heads have exploded over at jetsinsider.

This was their big fish. "Better than AD".:rofl:

If you go over to finheaven they're all talking about how Porter is better than AD. If you compare his career numbers to Rosevelt Colvin's they're cuprisingly similar.

Uh oh, Fins signed somebody. Now for the SB predictions.

I love when teams I hate sign players I hate, it makes for an easy transition.

If you go over to finheaven they're all talking about how Porter is better than AD. If you compare his career numbers to Rosevelt Colvin's they're cuprisingly similar.

Well I don't remember reading that, but what's it matter, Who cares? Bottom line, both D's have gotten better.

Last edited:
Dolphins give Joey Porter $32 million deal

The Dolphins have agreed to terms with LB Jerry Porter on a five-year, $32 million contract. The deal includes a $12 million signing bonus.

Porter will be guaranteed $20 million, a ridiculous figure. He's a big upgrade over Donnie Spragan for coordinator Dom Capers' defense in 2007, but it's doubtful the contract holds up well. Many within the Steelers' organization didn't believe Porter's recent play matched his mouth. Mar. 6 - 9:09 am et
Source: ESPN.com

That was stupid:

1) Joey has become inconsistent... you'll never know what kind of game he'll have. Just ask any steeler fan.

2) He has the biggest mouth in the league by far. All the other AFC East coaches should thank the dolphins for getting him. He's instant bulletin board material and should get every team fired to face him, especially the pats.

Joey Porter is a 3-4 OLB who does his best work when rushing the passer from the outside. Occasionally covers TEs/RBs or plays a flat/hook zone.

I am pretty sure in Miami they run a 4-3.
Where he will be forced to play a 4-3 LB at either the will or sam positions since Thomas plays Mike.

As a will he will be forced to chase plays down from behind and as a sam he will be force to man up on the TE. Neither objectives are ones that he's played much over his career.

The transition should be interesting to watch as Joey will make wrong reads and blow coverage assignments early on in the season.
Considering his temperament as a player (angry, emotional) that will play into the occasion as well.

But I wonder do fins phans realize he will have to learn a new position any way you look at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back