Welcome to PatsFans.com

Finding Out Who's Walked the Walk

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jan 9, 2013.

?

Actual Gun Experience

1. I have been shot at and found it exhilarating

20.0%
  2. I have been shot at and found it absolutely terrifying

20.0%
  3. I have shot at someone

13.3%
  4. I have never shot at someone

46.7%
  5. I have pulled a gun in self defense but not shot it at anyone

13.3%
  6. I have been threatened with a gun but not shot at

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

I'm intrigued by the picture of Winston Churchill in another thread saying that there is nothing more exhilarating than being unsuccessfully shot at and I am wondering who here has actually had the experience.

I mean, if we're going to be all know-it-all about gun control and the right to open carry and the right to own any firearm available without much registering or background checking we really ought to have some actual experience, don't you think?

2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,289 / 6 / -19

#61 Jersey

I think you're roughly 150 years late with that question.

3. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

It almost sounds like you are saying that a person can not have an opinion about gun control or that opinion is not valid unless they have either shot someone or been shot at.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Not at all....Everyone here has an opinion on gun control, that much is obvious. I am merely curious as to who's had actual experience with a gun....not target shooting, since no one wants to take away the right to target shoot - not hunting, since no one wants to take away the right to hunt - but actual experience with guns being used in the commission of a crime.

It seems to be everyone's biggest fear and self-defense seems to be everyone's biggest excuse for owning a gun - so I'd like to know how many of us have run into the situation and thus have a greater understanding of what happens when in that situation.

I wouldn't ask a man what it felt like to have a baby and you wouldn't ask a woman what it felt like to have a prostate exam - for obvious reasons and so I think it's only fair to put more stock in what someone who's walked the walk has to say about it.

Actual experience always speaks more loudly than the hypothetical.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

All opinions are valuable.....none of them are as valuable as those backed up with actual experience.

It's also useful to know how likely it is that anyone has/will experience the need to carry self-protection.

If there are 20 response and no one's been in a situation where a gun was involved then, obviously, there's not as much need for the fear that it will happen than there is if half of those people have been in that situation.

A percentage to put on it would go a long way to determining if there was an actual need, wouldn't it?

6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,289 / 6 / -19

#61 Jersey

Are we also absolved from asking lesbians what it's like to conceive a child? :singing:

OK, I'm not a gun owner although I seriously am considering becoming one. This primarily would be for sporting reasons, with home protection being a very distant consideration. But I do wonder if adamant gun owners aren't worried about self-defense as much as having them available for any and all options -- hunting, sport shooting, self-defense -- without government interference.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 11 / -10

Those of you who have been shot or threatened with a gun, I am so sorry to hear that. That had to be terrifying. As a therapist in community mental health I work with a number of people who are survivors of gun and other violence, and I have really come to appreciate the trauma and admire the resilience of those who find a way through it. Our gun-crazed society teaches everyone the legitimacy of guns for protection of ones property and family, yet it seems to me that guns more often than not lead to trauma not protection.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

I always find this question so funny.....you are aware that lesbians have all the necessary equipment it takes to conceive a child, aren't you? Getting pregnant takes sperm and a vagina - and there are various ways to acquire sperm. The act of sex is not necessary to the act of conception.

9. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Never been shot at and never held a gun outside of my father's 1863 Springfield Musket Rifle (Civil War). Have been held up with a knife and a machete (weapon of choice in Indonesia)

I really don't put that in the same class as "a gun", even though, definitionally, it is just that....3 rounds a minute and all.

As I said in the other thread, I am in the process of going through local groups who offer firearm training to see whose offering seems best, so I may, at a later date, potentially purchase a firearm, more than likely a shotgun.

My thought process is to simply protect myself in the event the unthinkable were to occur in my home. It would not be a show piece or something that is out in the open. If i got to that point, it would be something secured, within my bedroom should I ever "need" it.

I'd rather rely on myself for protection in my dwelling than rely John Q Policeperson who is a call away.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm stocking up on garlic and wooden stakes to protect my home in the unlikely but not impossible event that my home is invaded by vampires...or undead...or something.

Yes, yes...I realize that statistically the wooden stakes will be used by someone I'm least expecting on me, and the garlic will just get eaten in some Italian dish by wife and daughter make on a Saturday afternoon, but I'd rather have them and not need them than not have them and need them.

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm in a goofy mood tonight, so I'm not going near this post.

12. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,289 / 6 / -19

#61 Jersey

I believe it is common knowledge they don't have testicles. Yes, it's hilarious. :rolleyes:

13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +608 / 7 / -7

Hi, my name is PFnV. I am a convenience/ice cream store hold-up survivor.

Oddly enough I didn't feel much emotionally about it. Guy got me when I was taking the trash out back, came running up waving a gun at me. I thought for sure it was my friend Doug being an a-hole (ski mask on), so I said "Doug stop f***ing with me." This seemed to confuse the hell out of my particular robber, who started waving the gun and sort of poking it in my direction and demanding to walk back in the store with me. At this point I figured out the deal and that made a lot of sense. So we walked back in. He didn't mess with the registers out front, he wanted the safe. Pretty smart if you think about it. I was really glad that whoever last stuck cash in it left it open... it felt like a godsend. I had no idea what that combination was.

Thing was, I didn't have time to worry about it ahead of time, and during the robbery, I was just like "okay, that went well, safe's open..." I was just focused on getting this guy's robbery accomplished so he didn't get hinky and shoot me. I got the kneel down by the safe order, which didn't seem good. I did not think I had a lot of options, however, so basically I just went with it and hoped for the best. He'd gotten no resistance and he had his money. My reasoning, such as it was, is that bullets move faster than I do, and you can pull a trigger faster than you can snatch a gun, absent super chuck norris skills, which I'm aware I didn't have. After the guy ran the hell out -- as scared as I was, most likely, according to the cops -- I walked out to the front and let the manager/crew know we'd just been robbed, and I needed to call the cops in. The customers were just dying to know what happened, biggest drama they'd seen in their lives.

Now let's say I had mah gun with me. I had a big azz bag of trash I was holding santa-style over my shoulder when I saw the guy. I didn't even think he was a real-life robber. He had a gun out waving it at me. Doesn't seem like I win in that situation -- he's got a drawn weapon, and I've got what? The option of dropping the trash, drawing it before he can fire, and firing first?

Let's say he didn't have a gun. Well, I don't want to get stabbed either, but there'd be a few choices open to me if he had a knife - get myself out front, where there were customers and co-workers, rush the guy screaming my head off & hope someone checks out what the hell is going on, whatever. Or I could have gone the same route... but much less likely that the guy gets hinky and stabs me to death, because most stab wounds aren't fatal even if he does get hinky... that's why you get multiple wounds in people stabbed to death more often than not. With a gun, one shot can often do ya.

It was a very binary distribution, by and large... live or die. I got lucky. A bunch of punk hobbyists are guaranteeing that more people face exactly the same circumstances. That's bullcrap.

Oh and as a kid I went hunting a time or two, and went out and plinked at cans a few times with a couple of friends/their families. Meh. Not that exciting.

PFnV

14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +608 / 7 / -7

Oh by the way, do me a favor. Nobody tell me what you would do if you were held up at gunpoint. Tell me what you did do.

PFnV

15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

If you're referring to active addicts/alcoholics who have been shot at or had a gun pulled on them, I can tell you it wasn't nearly as traumatic as it would be for a "normal" human being.

I knew many people in AA who had that experience. One who spent 15 years in prison for 2nd degree murder (stabbed somone with an icepick in a blackout). When one is under the influence, nothing phase them (us) including knives & guns.

I've had a knife pulled on me and it was like a dream. I don't recall being scared nor can explain why I wasn't. But when people live the life of active addiction, we end up in places we normally wouldn't be, with people we normally wouldn't associate with and do things we normally wouldn't do.

For whatever reason, the trauma from such an experience is not nearly as bad for an active alky/addict as it would be for a non-addict citizen.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

So, did MrsP set up this thread so you could step in as an authority? Because we both know she knew about your experience.

But I have to say, it was an interesting read. I'm sure your adrenaline was pumping hard, so you really didn't feel any emotion.

I'm actually like you regarding guns...only shot a few real guns. most of them was when I lived in Gillette, Wyoming one summer.

But I have a hunter/neighbor who's really a good guy. A bit old fashioned, but a good old Italian-American...well, not that old. Prolly about 58-60. Anyway, he keep trying to talk me into getting my license to carry. He has one and tells me he carries everywhere he goes. He gives me hints on "staying aware" of your environment. For example, he tells me to never get into my car at night without looking around first. I never thought of that and when I did, I realized he was right. So now I have this compulsion to look around before I get in my car...maybe it will help me someday, who knows.

He told me he was in a bank while it was robbed and he had his gun with thim, but he didn't see an opportunity to use it without getting others killed.

Bizarro world bro....

17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +608 / 7 / -7

Not that I know of... you'll notice she concentrated on the "billy badazzes" walking around shooting off their mouths, no pun intended, about how they'll defend themselves with their guns... she also has the churchill quote about how great it is to be shot at and live, I suppose, but I never got shot at. It just so happens we're on the same board.

PFnV

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Yeah...isn't that a quinky-dink!;):p

Anyway, I hit submit before I was actually done and added a lot to that post.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

I started this thread to hear others experiences.

I find it fascinating that people speak so knowingly about things they don't know about first-hand and I was curious to see how many people had first-hand experiences with guns.

For instance - this is interesting. Women do this from the time they are 12 years old - routinely and without conscious thought. I honestly thought everyone did.

Women constantly scan their enviornment - regardless of time of day or circumstances.

And I think that's very common. I cannot believe that in a movie theater the size of the one in Aurora didn't include at least one patron carrying a weapon. I'm sure there were several. And I think that's the point I'm trying to get to - carrying a gun doesn't necessarily make you "safer," nor does it guarantee that you'll be able to use it when a situation arises. It's not as simple as people think and those who've been in a situation know that - those who haven't, don't.

20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 11 / -10

Yes, I find it interesting how what many addicts miss about addiction is not the high but the feeling of no responsibility. No guilt about crime, no shame about hygiene, no regrets about terrible situations they found themselves in. Drugs really do take away emotions to an incredible degree. But, some of them are left with permanent injuries from their wounds, and that's a different story. They experience the full trauma once they sober up. In all honesty, with some addicts, given the holes they are now in, I really do believe that the case for sobriety over addiction is not especially strong.