PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finally ! The Blitz has been implemented

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Riddler

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Unbelievable that it took a full week of talk show and news papers articles to finally tell BB and Matt P that yes, good things do happen when you disguise and blitz periodically at the right time. Let's keep this going, don't back off now.

Every time they blitzed today something good resulted from it, every time. Why did it take this long ?

Last edited:
While I agree that it was very nice to see an occasional blitz something tells me that it was not implemented because of people like Felger and Mazz.

The Patriots attack what they perceive to be the major weakness of their opponent. On the Rams offense that was their offensive line and pass protection; on the Rams defense it was their safeties and outside linebackers in pass coverage.

While I agree that it was very nice to see an occasional blitz something tells me that it was not implemented because of people like Felger and Mazz.

The Patriots attack what they perceive to be the major weakness of their opponent. On the Rams offense that was their offensive line and pass protection; on the Rams defense it was their safeties and outside linebackers in pass coverage.

Mmmm Interesting, and the previous opponents didn't have as poor a line or for that matter a "lesser" QB ??? We've played alot lesser QBs than Sam Bradford, yet we still held back on blitzes for some reason and gave them career numbers.

Not buying your response. Just seems kind of coincidental that all week long after another DB-gashing by an inferior QB which spawned all kinds of talk radio banter about a lack of blitzes from this defense that we now decide to get some blitz packages implemented into the game plan this week.

As fans we were asking for the blitz about a month ago and it's kind of strange that it took this long to get implemented, but what do we know, we're only fans.

loved it, this team is simply not built to allow quaterbacks time. We need to continue to create havoc up front with stunts and blitzes.

Unbelievable that it took a full week of talk show and news papers articles to finally tell BB and Matt P that yes, good things do happen when you disguise and blitz periodically at the right time.

Perhaps the funniest sentence I've read on this forum.

Unbelievable that it took a full week of talk show and news papers articles to finally tell BB and Matt P that yes, good things do happen when you disguise and blitz periodically at the right time. Let's keep this going, don't back off now.

Every time they blitzed today something good resulted from it, every time. Why did it take this long ?

Not to rain on your parade but the 50 yard TD pass was on a blitz.

Yeah, BB has decided that the idiots who have talk shows specifically because they are idiots should be in charge of his decisions.:rolleyes:

it took a full week of talk show and news papers

Ah, here is when I figured out you were joking. Because nobody in their right mind would seriously suggest that a coach of Belichick's caliber would give a good god damn about what is printed in a newspaper or spoken about on sports talk radio of all things when it comes to formulating a game plan.

don't Belichick defenses typically get more aggressive over the course of the year?

Yeah, BB has decided that the idiots who have talk shows specifically because they are idiots should be in charge of his decisions.:rolleyes:

..lol.. yeah BB contacted Squeeky Mazz to console him about the Red Sox. Squeeky then told BB he should blitz more. BB thanked Squeeky and then told him he'd tune in to 98.5 for more coaching tips

Blitzing on 1st down usually isn't a good idea.

Not to rain on your parade but the 50 yard TD pass was on a blitz.

Andy if I recall correctly it was a designed run blitz on 1st & 10, but you are correct it was a blitz. We then went on to score 45 unanswered points. Why not take more chances when you have that kind of offensive fire power? Aggessive defense was a big part that made this a walk over imho.

Mmmm Interesting, and the previous opponents didn't have as poor a line or for that matter a "lesser" QB ??? We've played alot lesser QBs than Sam Bradford, yet we still held back on blitzes for some reason and gave them career numbers.

Not buying your response. Just seems kind of coincidental that all week long after another DB-gashing by an inferior QB which spawned all kinds of talk radio banter about a lack of blitzes from this defense that we now decide to get some blitz packages implemented into the game plan this week.

As fans we were asking for the blitz about a month ago and it's kind of strange that it took this long to get implemented, but what do we know, we're only fans.

You're right; Belichick has such a long history of doing things and making decision based on fan polls, media reactions, PR advice and whatever else the popular sentiment is at the moment.

Andy if I recall correctly it was a designed run blitz on 1st & 10, but you are correct it was a blitz. We then went on to score 45 unanswered points. Why not take more chances when you have that kind of offensive fire power? Aggessive defense was a big part that made this a walk over imho.

As typically happens here, since there were occassions when we blitzed successfully the discourse turns into revising history to pretned we blitzed every play today, and they couldn't handle and have never blitzed before all season.
We probably used more blitzing today than normal, but the blitz has failed as much as anything else this year, and pretty much everything the defense did today worked.
I'm just pointing out that blitzing wasn't the all inclusive panacea that you will be led to believe by many posts on this board.

As typically happens here, since there were occassions when we blitzed successfully the discourse turns into revising history to pretned we blitzed every play today, and they couldn't handle and have never blitzed before all season.
We probably used more blitzing today than normal, but the blitz has failed as much as anything else this year, and pretty much everything the defense did today worked.
I'm just pointing out that blitzing wasn't the all inclusive panacea that you will be led to believe by many posts on this board.

I totally get your post. What has been frustrating as a fan is with an offense that is capable of putting up 30+ on any team why our defense has been so conservative over the last couple years. I would argue that when we get a lead we should be extremely agressive and force mistakes rather than soft zones hoping for them. Imo the worst that happens is our offense gets the ball back.

I totally get your post. What has been frustrating as a fan is with an offense that is capable of putting up 30+ on any team why our defense has been so conservative over the last couple years. I would argue that when we get a lead we should be extremely agressive and force mistakes rather than soft zones hoping for them. Imo the worst that happens is our offense gets the ball back.

It's easy to argue both sides of that.
If my team is better than yours, me playing aggressively increases the chance of a blowout if it works, but gives you an extraordinary chance of playing with me if you hit big plays.
Playing conservatively as the superior team means there is less uncertaintly, surprise or anomoly so in the long run it will be much harder for the lesser team to win.
BB really has been an ultra conservative coach here. To see that you do have to recognize that going for 4th downs with high probability or passing a lot with Tom Brady on your team ultimately is a conservative approach.
Its worked well so far.

Don't think people like felger and mazz will give the defense any credit for this game. They'll just say the rams offensive play calling was bad.

If the coaching staff feels that they are better off waiting for an opposing quarterback to make a mistake, I can understand the logic - even though I disagree.

In my opinion the biggest problem has been that they have taken that philosophy to such an extreme that they have become way too predictable. Opponents have been able to game plan with the knowledge that the Pats blitz less often than any other team in the NFL.

The problem with their pass defense has been that the Pats are too predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes