PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FINALLY someone national brings up playing conditions regarding Brady and Manning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FINALLY someone national brings up playing conditions regarding Brady and Manning

There is no argument..Brady is better, in every way. Thats not saying Manning isnt great, he just isnt as good as Tom Brady.

Re: FINALLY someone national brings up playing conditions regarding Brady and Manning

This doesn't have to be an either/or question. They're both great quarterbacks, and they'll both go into the Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.

Yes, the OP is correct: Manning has benefited from playing more games in a dome while Brady has played more games outdoors in poor weather conditions.

It is one more weapon for Pats fans to use whenever the Brady v Manning debate arises. However, it is not conclusive evidence that Brady is better than Manning

The debate will never end because people on either side will have numbers, facts and opinions to support their case. Both sides will argue and nothing will be resolved in the debate. Then a few weeks later one or the other will be in the news, and the whole process will be repeated.

It's like watching the movie Groundhog Day whenever Peyton Manning's name is brought up.

Doesn't mean you can't be either objective and/or realistic.

Brady is an objectively superior QB. It's just a statement of fact. I say this because it's not even especially close anymore. Indoors and outdoors, he is measurably better.

Last edited:

True but it's one small part of the equation. I highly doubt that Manning wouldn't have learned to be just as effective in cold weather. He's a HoF lock at QB.

Both have their strengths, their detailed resumes and a legit claim to the best QB over the last 10 years. I prefer Brady, but at this point I don't know why it even needs to be debated. Everyone knows how good both QBs are.

Also, say what you want about talent surrounding Manning, but Brady was surrounded by a HoF coach. Again, both guys are in great situations. Just different.

Good points made.

I'm glad your prefer Brady though lol. I agree, Brady and Manning are the league's best, this argument could go on forever.

Last edited:

Manning and Brady are deservedly 1 and 1 in terms of best QBs. Deal with it.

Aaron Rodgers >>> PayaTon, who therefore is AT BEST #3...if that.
And I'm hoping that his latest neck malfunction will drop him down a few more notches.

Its pretty simple. Manning is a great, future HOF QB. Brady is better.

He has done more with less, playing in a tougher environment, against more difficult competition. Saying Brady is better than Manning doesn't demean Manning. After all he IS still better than 30 other QBs in a 32 team league.

Carry on, I'll go away now.

Thank heaven for small favors.

True but it's one small part of the equation. I highly doubt that Manning wouldn't have learned to be just as effective in cold weather. He's a HoF lock at QB.

Both have their strengths, their detailed resumes and a legit claim to the best QB over the last 10 years. I prefer Brady, but at this point I don't know why it even needs to be debated. Everyone knows how good both QBs are.

Also, say what you want about talent surrounding Manning, but Brady was surrounded by a HoF coach. Again, both guys are in great situations. Just different.

For starters, Manning is an outstanding QB and a first ballot lock for the HoF. That said, upon what information are you basing your assertion that Manning would be just as effective in weather? Playing in weather is more difficult, that's just a fact, look at QBs across the board and they play better in a dome rather than in weather.

Next, Brady has put up better numbers against the same defenses. I dont think I should have to explain this but playing against a high quality defense is tougher than against a low quality defense.

Brady has had less talent around him on his side of the ball, he's traditionally had a better defense but the playmakers around him on offense aren't as good, which leads to less impressive stats.

Peyton Manning The Greatest NFL Quarterback ever. - YouTube

Take a look at this video, in how many situations is Marvin Harrison WIDE open necessitating a throw that any NFL QB can make? Although I believe that Manning is the one making his guys right now in the early part of his career Manning was made BY Harrison. Brady didnt get a receiver of his caliber until 07.

brady's done more with less in his career

plus

peyton's made way more mental errors that i've seen, as opposed to brady in their careers

This can't be true. With all the brains Peyton could fit in that forehead I don't see how he could ever make a mental mistake. :D

Aaron Rodgers >>> PayaTon, who therefore is AT BEST #3...if that.
And I'm hoping that his latest neck malfunction will drop him down a few more notches.

Don't kid yourself.

What's a troll? Someone who disagrees with the common wisdom that everything Patriots is right?

Are we only supposed to discuss things like who we can trade Wilhite for?

yeah, pretty much in my definition ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

As I've pointed out in the past, while passer rating is admittedly a flawed statistic, it does have a few worthwhile things to say [ :) ], and here's one of them:

Brady's passer rating outdoors > Manning's passer rating outdoors
and Brady's passer rating indoors > Manning's passer rating indoors

The only reason why Manning used to have the higher passer rating is that both of them do better indoors than outdoors, and Manning plays so many more games indoors.

Next to impossible to separate these guys.

FWIW. I believe the biggest advantage Manning has had over Brady is consistency with the OC and having the same playbook year in and year out.

I guess this is the stupidity that is all over this board which I was really responding to. Maybe the point wasn't made yet and I just assumed it.

Carry on, I'll go away now.

Don't go away mad....... ;)

Feel free to go back over to the Colts messageboards and start a "Manning is the greatest ever" thread. I'm sure you'll have a bunch of people agree with you. :rolleyes:

I think the "Who's better" question was put to bed last year when Manning threw a pick-6 to LOSE a super bowl. Brady at least had what "would have" been a game winning drive in the last few minutes if the defense hadn't totally laid down at the end of the game. It's one thing to be on the losing team in a super bowl, but it's altogether different then CAUSING your team to lose a super bowl.

Manning is a very good QB, but he is no Brady.

Someone said that under common assumptions Brady is better. Not so. Common knowledge looks at totals. Games, TD's, yards. Manning is ahead in all of those (he's been around longer for one thing).

But when you break it down:

1. Brady best W-L% in bad weather games all time (CHFF)
2. Brady best w-L% in bad weather playoff games all time (CHFF)
3. Mannings count of AS WR/TE/RB & HOF WR/TE/RB over Brady
4. Dome vs bad weather
5. Mannings non elite Int% and Int v TD vs Brady
6. Manning paid much more then Brady every year on average since 2001, in fact his offense is the most expensive in all of football every year on average since 2001. See #3. See the results. Manning 1-10 in season ending playoff games, Brady 3-5.
7. Manning has a slightly higher QB Rating in the playoffs - but - Manning poured it on in two games which gives him the lead. OTOH in really poor games (< 70.0 QB Rating) for both Brady is 2-1 (49.1, 57.6, 66.4) and Manning 1-4 (Rating: 31.2, 35.5, 39.6, 62.3, 69.3).
8. As Pats fans know, under pressure Manning makes mistakes, gets petulent, whines, complains, and then in after game press conferences tosses his OL under the bus.
9. Brady ahead of Manning in QB rating and tied in Rate - with all of the above leadership and results there is no way Brady isn't in the top group of QB's with essentially no flaws, and Manning is in the 2nd group - at least one major flaw.

That's the way it is.

True but it's one small part of the equation. I highly doubt that Manning wouldn't have learned to be just as effective in cold weather.

Over his long career he has played a lot of bad weather road games. He is statistically much worse than Tom in such games.

Over his long career Tom has played a lot of perfect weather road games. He is statistically better than Peyton in such games.

The simple fact is that both quartebacks are better in perfect conditions than they are in non-perfect conditions, and Peyton has perfect conditions much more often. This disparity artifically equallizes their overall career statististics.

You want Tom over Peyton

when it's cold.
when it's hot
indoors
outdoors
in rain
in sunshine

Basically any way a football game is played.

Last edited:

If it's a matter of learning to play in an environment, then how do you explain the fact that Brady is better in domes than Manning is?

when it's cold.
when it's hot
indoors
outdoors
in rain
in sunshine

Basically any way a football game is played.
And on US soil
and on foreign soil (London)

This may be true, but how many playoff games has Tom won because he excels in the cold? To me, it's the ultimate advantage for him. Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying about the passer rating and stats, but in terms of winning %, this gives Brady a boost if anything.

I left off a few things: I'll take TB when

indoors
outdoors

when it's

cold
mild
hot
rainy
sunny
snowy
windy
calm
bright
dark

when
sleet is is falling
Oobleck is falling (if you have kids)
the field has unexplained vortexes
the game is made more difficult by brief meteor showers

I can't think of a scenario when I'd want Manning, unless there's a costume contest at halftime and special prizes are given to Goobers with huge foreheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes