Welcome to PatsFans.com

Finally Getting in Ipod

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BelichickFan, Jan 6, 2007.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Just look at the "What Song are You Listening to" thread and you'll see it's WAY overdue. I'm slow, what can I say.

Anyway I'm pretty excited about this, it should arrive on Tuesday. From China :( I'd have paid a little extra to get it made here but that's how it goes I guess.

I imagine this will be easy to get my 70 GB transferred over - everyone seems to be able to do it :)
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well congrats. :rocker: The iPod and "podcasts" have changed my life. I never mind waiting in line or at a doctors office or wherever anywhere. Because I have my iPod and can listen to hours of interviews, radio shows and podcasts. And sometimes music. :) I was working for Apple when the iPod was first introduced and I'm a big tech geek. That's why I listen to so many podcasts. Most are tech related. But, anyway if you have any problems let me know and I'll try to help you out. Although I feel confident you won't have any problems.
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Thanks, I appreciate it. As they're made for the masses, and I'm a S/W Engineer, it would be kind of amusing if I had problems. I'm mostly concerned about the terminology I don't know, like whether I have all my stuff in itunes tagged correctly. I have all the artists, tracks, albums, genres, etc, in itunes so I assume that'll be enough to get everything grouped correctly.

Man, I can't wait for Tuesday night - I may have to leave work early :rocker:
  4. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Haha. GJ. :p

Being a Mac lover, the ipod was one of the first things on my list a few years back... and since then I have been very anal about naming all my songs on itunes exactually how they are supposed to be.... Artist, Genra, Album, Title... sometimes producer. :D
  5. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I bought an I-pod for my daughter for Christmas. Pretty expensive present for a young girl, but she has some long trips across the Atlantic to deal with. It's an amazing little machine -- very nice looking and with extraordinary power. (A tech-savvy young guy in the office yesterday used one as a makeshift hard disk to transfer a set of CD-ROMs from his Mac to a PC. As a technical ignoramus, I was impressed!) I hope that you enjoy yours. (I'm debarred from owning an I-pod myself, by the way -- I absolutely cannot stand listening to music through earphones!)

I did have what I think of as a typical "Apple experience" in transferring music across, though. The machine hung completely and there was no manual or anything useful like that. Hunting around on the internet for ages, we finally found the combination to press and the thing re-set. I had a couple of Macs a while back and that was typical. The Mac community has drunk so much KoolAid that all they say is: "Macs never go wrong, never get stuck", as an article of faith. When my machines hung (and they did, as a matter of fact, an awful lot) there was never a decent source of information to explain what you should do next.
  6. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dont really understand the big fuss about these tripod things, anyway. And for the life of me I can't figure where I stick my 8 track in the thing?
  7. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I've gone 6 years now with OS X without a crash, virus or any problems with OS. Say what you want about "drinking the KoolAid" but, you are a self proclaimed "technical ignoramus". I think your problems were operator error and had nothing to do with Apple.
  8. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Look, I paid a lot of my own money for two Macs and I bought them because I was fed up with poor quality PCs. I had a Powerbook that hung when trying to read from the floppy disk (yes, remember them) and a Powermac (the one with the DOS card) that hung just about every chance it got. Then there were the poor quality manufacturing things -- floppy drives that needed changing twice and internal batteries that didn't last come to mind. Anyway, if the Mac is so great, shouldn't it be proof against "operator error"?

But you missed my point -- it's not that the Mac is necessarily more unreliable than a PC, but that you have to buy a third-party book (in my case, the "Mac Bible") to even find out what is going on.
  9. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I wasn't aware PCs / Windows came with an owner's manual. I'll have to tell my sister to stop calling me with every PC problem they have.

The 2 Macs you just described where from the 90s and not running on OS X. If you want to go back that far lets talk about DOS and windows 3.1. No comparison to what they are now and have been in this decade.
  10. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I'm not defending PCs (though DOS and 3.1 were pretty reliable at the end). You're missing my point which is simply that while PC owners are prepared for trouble, Mac users aren't.
  11. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

And you're missing my point. You are making blanket statements that have no basis in fact.
  12. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

MiketheBrit
    Dont feel bad about the whole technical ignoramus thing. Our fraternity is still quite large, but aging.
    Like whats the big deal about blue tooth? Just means too much flouride in the water when you were a kid. And this Political Correct talk vs. Big Mac? One's a burger, and one is a very watered down way of saying sensitive things? I dont understand the comparison....:confused:
  13. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

[​IMG]

Never mind

;)
  14. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

My personal experience with PC's has had me loving macs from the start. I have had this computer i am on since the G4's came out - and it is perfectly fine. Need's a ram upgrade - but no problems at all ... I had three pc's compleatly destroyed.

(I know, I know... g4's are not that old - but the way technology has developed since the G4's where introduce is astonishing.)
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well I'm spending my night going through all my CDs in itunes and setting them as "Gapless Albums" so they'll sound better when listening :(

I did realize one downside to the ipod transition. I've been burning MP3 CDs and listening on a MP3 capable walkman. I often listen to a band's discography during the day, in order. Well when I copy these to the ipod they'll be in alphabetical order (and probably stops at the end of a CD) so I'm kind of stuck there (barring numbering the CDs before the name to get them chronologically but that's too much work).
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Videos have to be in MP4 format for the Itunes software to even see them. Its easy enough to find a freeware proggie that will switch them over; but I agree with Mike the Brit about the poor manual. I spent a couple of days trying to figure out why all of my videos were invisible. Then again, even though the screen is crystal clear, its just too little to watch a movie on.
  17. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Yes, well my friend said that his apple had windows. Whatever next? Doors and a chimney? :)
  18. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

As long as you right click on a song, then click "Get Info" you can change the order they appear in your ipod. Just change the Track number. For instance, if the CD has 14 tracks and that is the fifth track, type in
    "5" of "13"

That should help you out.

Also, its easy to do it this way, just click on "Next" or "Previous" to go to the next or previous song in the library (or playlist)
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

The problem is, as of today, I will be loading 16,541 songs, 72.1 GB on Tuesday night when it arrives. So while I could order everything correctly it's a WAY bigger effort than I can even imagine going though :D
  20. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I did >20,000 during the summer ... guess I had slightly more time on my hands.