Welcome to PatsFans.com

Finally Don't Ask Don't Tell Declared Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 10, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Case is not over but it struck me reading it ... like why did this take so long?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ly-gay-service-members-unconstitutional-.html

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Am I the only one that finds it a little offputting that a judge (who I assume has no military experience but if I'm mistaken please feel free to correct me and I'll gladly admit I was wrong) can issue a ruling that significantly impacts the way the military is run? I mean, it's offputting in a separation-of-powers way of speaking.

IMHO, I don't think this ruling will be implemented. Oh don't get me wrong... Don't ask, don't tell was already on its way out the door, but it will be done along the timetables of the civilian leadership, not some dumb broad from her ivory towers.

But I'm sure this forum's liberal will do their usual complaining against judicial activism, right ladies? Right...? Hello.........?
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No. You're not the only one who feels this way. There are many Americans who think that the military should be allowed to operate independently of the civilian sector in America, but don't count me as a member of that club. The military, in America at least, answers to the People. Not every single sector of our society needs to be somehow integrated and in sync with the military.

The military is, by its nature, a dysfunctional and radical institution which must, according to the Constitution, answer only to the People. That way, we aren't held hostage by them and their radical views on the world. It is why we have laws against their operation within our borders. The Founders had serious reservations about giving the military too much freedom and saw it as a tool for the defense of the US when it was needed.

Your reference to "dumb broad in her ivory tower" is interesting.
  4. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Doesnt the judge know that open gay men can't fight the same as straight or closet gays?

I hear its something to do with a restroom somewhere...
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Yeah, that's another thing...
    Whoever comes out (pun intended) and says that gays people aren't worthy of fighting for their country should immediately be drafted to take the place of one gay soldier. If that person is a politician, they must relieve a gay officer of his duties. Most of these jackasses need some real-world experience before they start spewing about who should and shouldn't be allowed to fight for their country.

Maybe there should be a gay combat unit (with women, too) that could go toe-to-toe with some radical Muslim terrorists, kick their arses, and embarrass the hell out of the homophobes in both the Middle East and America.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Nah, not interesting or even surprising. He's just upset because the number of women desperate enough to make him bacon and eggs without peeing in them first is dwindling down to non-existant.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +361 / 1 / -9

Who gives a sh!t, the troops themselves will handle the awkward situations, the troops themselves will probably handle the whole thing.

:bricks:
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

WPF, I am disappointed in you. You promised me you would work on your reading comprehension, but it is clear you have made no progress whatsoever on that front. You're still stuck with the understanding of the average 3rd grader.

I love our system where civilians control the military. Citizens (including any who served and any who didn't) elect the civilian authority that controls our military. It's a brilliant system which was pretty radical at the time. But that's not what we're talking about here.

It's patently absurd to use Constitutional grounds to reject this policy. Here's a newsflash for you: You do not have the Constitutional right to serve in the military. Last time I checked, blind people have Constitutional rights, don't they? Deaf people have Constitutional rights, don't they? People with cancer have Constitutional rights, don't they?

Well guess what? None of those people are allowed to enlist in the military. Why didn't the judge extend the Constitution to those groups as well?
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: If only you had the brain of the average 10 year old you would see how hypocritical you have been from one post to the next..!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

First you talk about how wonderful it is that civilians control the military, and you also self righteously explain how you support that idea. Then, in your very next post you say that you think that anyone who supports a specific policy (which you happen to disagree with) should immediately be drafted and sent to the Russian front..!! I guess you think civilians should control the military, but only if they agree with everything you say, huh?

:rofl: :rofl: Ah, WPF, what a delightful buffoon you are!! :rofl: :rofl:
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"Sweetheart?"
    "Yes, dear?"
    "Did you pee all over the bathtub again?"
    "Yes, I did. But don't worry. It's beautiful and ethereal and perfectly sanitary. So get in there."
    "Yes, dear."
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +367 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

You're very lonely,aren't you?
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +367 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

And when homosexuality is classified as a disease or a disablity they, too, can lose their constitutional right as able-bodied citizens to join the military.

But, oh, wait, they already decided 37 years ago that it wasn't a disease or a disability.

Catch up, will ya?
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, so now Constitutional rights extend only to "able-bodied citizens"..? Got'cha! No more voting and freedom of speech for the blind, deaf, and cancer stricken..!!

BTW, I know many able bodied, healthy and physically fit individuals over the age of 37. They are not allowed to join the military either.

Now what was that you once told me about educating myself before speaking out on a subject?
  14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

WP, I think you meant to post this in the Serrano thread, no?
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Believe me, things carry over from one thread to the next all the time in here. :D :D
  16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,063 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

As someone going into the military, openly gay men would probably make me a little uncomfortable in the showers. I guess that's just me, though.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +367 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

I guess as a woman, I'm ill-equipped to understand this - I know you're not the only person who's vocalized this thought, tho, so if anyone here can answer it, I'd appreciate the insight.

It seems to me that since there are gay men (and women) in the military already that you're already showering with them, you just don't know who they are. Therefore, what difference does it make?
  18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

that's a geeat way to treat athletes foot ... just saying.:cool:
  19. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

you have a nice butt Kontra .... :p:p:p
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Maybe that's because you think you're so hot that all gay men would want to have sex with you. Maybe you need to think about this for a few minutes. How is life going to be different for you than life in the military? Do you think that it is common to be raped in a shower by a gay guy? Really?

Try this: Spend a few minutes in front of a mirror and tell yourself, "Gay men don't want me. I am a straight guy. Gay men don't want to have sex with me. Gay guys want to have sex with other gay guys. I'm OK with that."

And then go out and kill some terrorists...if you can find them.