Welcome to PatsFans.com

Finally, Common Sense in Canader

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Feb 17, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,097 / 22 / -13

Disable Jersey

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1140006066135

The Conservative government has created a committee of two cabinet ministers and a backbencher to figure out how best to kill the long-gun registry as soon as possible.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper promised voters during the election campaign that the long-gun registry would be scrapped and money redirected to public safety.

When the Liberals added the registry to the federal gun control program in 1995, they said it would cost taxpayers no more than $2 million. But the most recent estimates put the figure in the hundreds of millions of dollars, bringing the total cost of the gun program to more than $1 billion.

********Whoa! Liberals creating a spending program that is (a) ineffective and (b) costs 500x the stated cost. I'm shocked!************

The Conservatives have called the registry a waste of taxpayers money that targets duck hunters rather than criminals.
    What's best is that the $ will be spent instead on public safety.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

The stupid liberals can't come to grips with the fact that they can "consficate and tax guns" until hell freezes over" but there isn't a damn thing they can do that will take the CRIMINALS gun away.

The bad guy will always have his gun, if they stop making guns the bad guy will make his own.

Trying to talk sense and real world to a liberal is like trying to teach your dog how to play the saxaphone.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  3. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

When will they learn? Increased gun "control" laws are ineffective and ultimately hurt the law abiding citizen.

Instead, severely increase the penalties for gun related crimes and put the hurt on the criminal where it belongs.

4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

BRAVO :rocker:

That can't be done in a Liberal Govt though, Liberals hate to offend criminals.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -12

So, you oppose a long gun registry, but support the government's rights to look at your records and listen to your phone calls? Even if the registry cost $1 billion dollars (which certainly sounds like mismanagement), things like wiretapping are far more expensive and a much bigger invasion of our rights than a registry of who buys potential weapons. Also, the registry probably makes things a little more difficult for terrorists and other criminals.

6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

When we are at war and my family's life is in danger you bet they can listen to my phone, I have nothing to hide. It's the bad guys that have to worry, as it should be.

7. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Doesn't the same apply to a gun registry? When your family is in danger from guns, you bet the government can have my serial numbes. I have nothing to hide. It's the bad guys that have to worry, as it should be.

Also, what makes you so sure that abuses of power like those that have gone on for centuries won't go on here? What makes you think we won't have a repeat of just a few decades ago when the chief of the FBI used his intelligence gathering (also in the name of providing for the common defense) to spy on political enemies?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  8. Chevy

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

Where did I say I was opposed to registration? I have never said that, in this post or any other. Of course, you (like most libs) hear only what you wish to hear.

Trying to shift focus to a completely unrelated issue is another example of the Tapdancing Party.

9. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

What have we learned so far. In the war in Iraq, there is massive fraud and accountability problems. In the Plame federal investigation there are documented lies and deceit. The Abramoff scandal will result in convictions of bribery and ethic problems. And now your going to tell me that there is nothing but the best intentions going on with the government wiretapping? That "bad" guys with no involvement in terrorism will not be prosecuted. That no information obtained through these traps won't be passed along to friends in industry. Yea, because they have been so straightforward with us all along.

10. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Your quote, in a thread about gun registration, was:
    When will they learn? Increased gun "control" laws are ineffective and ultimately hurt the law abiding citizen.

Instead, severely increase the penalties for gun related crimes and put the hurt on the criminal where it belongs.

If that doesn't mean you're against registration (a form of gun control), I don't know what it could mean.

Incidentally, I AM against registration.

11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As he didn't respond to your quote, what makes you think he was even posting in response to you?

A little defensive, are we?

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -12

Well, Chevy, you didn't give it exactly a ringing endorsement with your initial comment. That said, I'm glad to hear that you don't oppose registration. I guess you have a little liberal in you after all. (No offense.)

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

I'll register in a minute if you can get all the Gang Bangers, Drug Dealers and all the "inner city youths" to all register their "nines".

14. Chevy

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

:D ... Well, let's temper that miniscule spark with some good ol' Conservatism ... A license to carry a concealed firearm should be a matter of filling out the form, completeing the approved courses, and passing the background check. No reason should be required. This system works very well here in Louisiana, and should be the standard for all states.

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

We have it in Maine, I have had a "concealed permit" for years, you have to go through hell to get one in Mass, the only way I could get one was through my job at the time (carrying money).

When you try to renew in Mass your biggest obsticale is the cops, they just don't want to see honest law abiding citizens carrying a gun, but the gang banger doesn't have a problem, he buys his gun in the schoolyard and sticks it in his belt and he is all set to go.
    You would think the police would want to RENEW the good guys permit than they would know who had them because permit or no permit the good guy with any brains will never give up his gun, not while the Gang Banger still has his.

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You guys forget that Cheney did a lot of hunting in Canada before he was elected VP. The Liberals up north must have seen last week's events coming their way.