PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final round cuts (Non-Patriots)

They also cut one of our favorites, Matt Kopa.

I’d probably go Tenant over Kopa simply because Tenant can play all 3 inside positions.

He may be on their team by Monday in any case.

Have to be honestly I’m not a huge fan of Francis. Branch seems to have some talent:

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6042
Weight: 259
40 Yrd Dash: 4.67
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58 225 Lb.
Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone Drill: 7.19

He also had productive college career at Clemson:

Total Tackles – 179
Solo Tackles – 89
Tackles Loss – 34
Sacks – 17.5
PD – 10
FF – 1

You have to assume there is more then is being disclosed for a team in rebuilding mode like Jacks to be giving up on this type of player after just 1 year. It sort of sad when you look at Jacks first 3 rounds all high picks in the round, the took Blackmon, Branch and a punter, hmm I wonder why they’re always bottom feeders.

What's the story with Dorin ****erson? I assume he's not strong enough or a good enough blocker to play the more traditional inline TE role here.

I remember him from his time here with us at one point, but he's recently been released by Buffalo and we're obviously in need of another TE.

I would think that he's either just not good enough, or more of the move/joker role, as our need is basically an inline/blocking TE at this point in time, but boy did he have some upside at one point. It's a shame that he never lived up to it or found a "real" position that he could take advantage of.

He played strong side LB for awhile in college and benched 225 a nice amount of times, so he can't be "that" weak. I'm guessing it's just talent that was never lived up to and that he's just not that good. A waste of a good athlete.

Not a cut, but old friend James Iggy was named a starter over Matt Elam.

Do you mean James I-hate-to-tackle?

Supposedly Harbaugh claimed that Ihedigbo is just more comfortable with the Ravens scheme at the moment, but that he is expecting Elam to eventually take over the starting role by the end of the season. I saw an interview with him regarding this subject several days ago on either NFLN, or one of the ESPN shows.

In the meantime, he's going to blend Elam in via a rotational role much like we did with Meriweather in the 07 season. In my opinion I don't think there's much to see here myself, but I understand some being surprised since he was a 1st round pick.

What's the story with Dorin ****erson? I assume he's not strong enough or a good enough blocker to play the more traditional inline TE role here.

I remember him from his time here with us at one point, but he's recently been released by Buffalo and we're obviously in need of another TE.

I would think that he's either just not good enough, or more of the move/joker role, as our need is basically an inline/blocking TE at this point in time, but boy did he have some upside at one point. It's a shame that he never lived up to it or found a "real" position that he could take advantage of.

He played strong side LB for awhile in college and benched 225 a nice amount of times, so he can't be "that" weak. I'm guessing it's just talent that was never lived up to and that he's just not that good. A waste of a good athlete.

It appears he has been misled in life, so you could say his deal is lack of guidance by his parents, coaches and basically anyone else that suggested a 6’1, 226 pound guy should play tight end. :D

Supposedly Harbaugh claimed that Ihedigbo is just more comfortable with the Ravens scheme at the moment, but that he is expecting Elam to eventually take over the starting role by the end of the season. I saw an interview with him regarding this subject several days ago on either NFLN, or one of the ESPN shows.

In the meantime, he's going to blend Elam in via a rotational role much like we did with Meriweather in the 07 season. In my opinion I don't think there's much to see here myself, but I understand some being surprised since he was a 1st round pick.

The first round pick doesn't mean much to me, it is the fact that the Ravens consider Iggy to be a starter, even for just the first half of the season.

Marcus Trufant was released, although it's hard to try to judge some of the older vets especially when they're released by a team as pathetic as JAX.

Add one more to the veteran CB list though.

The first round pick doesn't mean much to me, it is the fact that the Ravens consider Iggy to be a starter, even for just the first half of the season.

Yeah, one would think that they could have done a little better in terms of depth or choosing a more reliable starter. Then again, we were using him as a starter too ;)

The Ravens cut
Alex Silvestro

how long before the former Rutgers product returns to the Pats? Maybe this time BB will change him back to DE!:rolleyes:

It appears he has been misled in life, so you could say his deal is lack of guidance by his parents, coaches and basically anyone else that suggested a 6’1, 226 pound guy should play tight end. :D

Quite possibly. I think you'd be onto something in terms of him being misled for settling down on a true position.

I'm not really as concerned about him being a little under 6'2" at 226 though, especially when you combine 4.40 speed with enough of a frame to be able to play strong side LB and bench 225 at a 24 pace. I think the hope was that he'd be an effective H-back or a really big, physical receiver.

Like I said I think at this point our chances of adding a more 'no name' TE are probably a lot better since we are probably looking for more of a traditional, inline blocking TE. That said, I also think that bringing back Fells after week 1 when his salary isn't guaranteed probably remains a decent option still, especially he already knows the system and is likely just of good (or better) of a blocker that's out there.

I think that Fells' situation was more to do with money than it was with disgusting play. He was a much better blocker than Hooman last year, and he was banged up to hell and back. I think we may see him return after the game with BUF unless we find a better replacement in the meantime, which I know is your hope. I think we can get away with bringing in a pure blocking TE at this point still, but not one that would have to have a tremendous amount of responsibility.

Trufant and Garay are two names on the scrap heap right now that interest me the most. Trufant would give some solid depth at CB and Garay as a pass rushing DT. Sign me up.

Quite possibly. I think you'd be onto something in terms of him being misled for settling down on a true position.

I'm not really as concerned about him being a little under 6'2" at 226 though, especially when you combine 4.40 speed with enough of a frame to be able to play strong side LB and bench 225 at a 24 pace. I think the hope was that he'd be an effective H-back or a really big, physical receiver.

I was partially joking around with the misled in life thing just so don’t think I was mocking you, because I would never do that to you, I find you to be a remarkable poster, and easily in the top 1% most pleasurable to interact with in here.

I do want to address ****erson however because I see your intrigue, does appear to have some strong measurable metrics athletically speaking, unfortunately that has not translated to much success in the NFL thus far, and I would be opposed to the Patriots taking a flyer on a guy who is still relatively young who has been in a poor organization thus far.

That withstanding I think the way you’re viewing ****erson is similar to how I viewed Brandon Ford, and basically all of us whether we choose to admit it or not view players, we look at their combine metrics and compare them to a player who was successful and think, hmm why couldn’t he do the same thing, especially with replacing Hernandez because we view him as this POS, moron and think how valuable could he have really been. The sad thing is Hernandez was a rare player, it wasn’t so much his measurable(s) or his intelligence, what made Hernandez special was probably what led to his demise, he thought he could do anything, if somebody attempted to tackle him he would fight through it, he felt he was above being tackled, he would see angles on the football field to get away with things the same way he saw angles off the football field to get away with crimes. It is unfortunate that Hernandez could not use those traits for good on the field, and have the understanding that his off the field approach needed to be different, and because of that we lost a very special offensive weapon, that I think we will have a very hard time trying to replace.

Trufant and Garay are two names on the scrap heap right now that interest me the most. Trufant would give some solid depth at CB and Garay as a pass rushing DT. Sign me up.

tumblr_majrfqhMLF1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

Still don't get why Matt Leinart crashed and burned in the NFL.

Good scouting report, big arm, lots of talent, was a star in college. Thought he had what it took to be a really good NFL QB....

Recall some people crying that he was better than Jones and should have been picked by the Patriots.

I'll take Branch, and Jax can have Cunnyham, Bequette or Francis.

Perhaps good coaching would have a better chance with him than with Tebow.

Good scouting report, big arm, lots of talent, was a star in college. Thought he had what it took to be a really good NFL QB....

Not a cut, but old friend James Iggy was named a starter over Matt Elam.

Iggy would've been a good #4 Safety here; unfortunately, we didn't have a good #1, 2 or 3
here at that time...now we just have a good #1.

USC QB syndrome: living the good life, lots of puzzy, great weather, Hollywood, Petie Carroll...
and Zero hard coaching.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back