PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Filthy Four - version 3 - March 29 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I could do 100 of these a day and never be satisfied... it is damn hard to get inside BB's head, I keep hearing some crappy Bon Jovi song over and over again. "Johny used to work on a dock, we need an OLB so lets draft a TE oh ya half way there, you give mock drafts a bad name, bad name..."

I use this board but feel free to use your own:
NFL Draft - 2010 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Rules
Shoot from the hip, go as fast as you can, try again in one week.
Try to be funny, it is only stupid football

#22 - Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
- addresses most obvious need
- thought process, plays 3rd downs in year one become starter in year 2

#44 - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
- becomes a combo, Jarvis Green / Willie Mac
- thought process - can play some limited OLB or DE and kick inside for passing downs (no way in hell he lasts until 44, no way in hell the Patriost take him)

#47 - Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee
- TE is damn tempting but Hardesty checks in and Taylor, Morris, BGJE or Maroney says bye-bye
- thought process - enough with Maroney already (aka Mr. fumble head aks. dance in the backfield man, aka. Mr. 3 yard loss, aka. Mr. "enough already'

#53 -Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
- bigger, stronger, slower version of Dante Stallworth

Later rounds, add some TE, O Line / D Line.

Still working on a way to get Cody, Spikes, Cunnigham and Dunlap, that way my pre-season list would mostly be complete.

love the filthy four....somebody should set it up as a chart somewhere just before the draft so I can see all my selections in one place.

22. Dez Bryant, WR
44. Jerry Hughes, OLB
47. Alex Carrington, DE
53. Dennis Pitta, TE

If I were making the picks :

Demaryius Thomas
Corey Wooten
Ricky Sapp
Monterio Hardesty (thought about Spikes here)

What I would expect from Belichick :

Jermaine Gresham
Corey Wooten
Ricky Sapp
Damien Williams

My own rule is I can't take someone listed higher than the Pats pick, so here goes:

22. Jared Odrick- really tempted by Jahvid Best, Demaryius Thomas and Jermaine Gresham here, because I could take Carrington with my last 2nd rounder.

44. Carlos Dunlap- I go back and forth on the guy, but if he's available here, it will be tough to pass him up. Has a much higher ceiling than Odrick, but a much lower floor. I'd play him as a 3rd down pass rusher (Jarvis Green type role) at DE his first season while evaluating if his future was at OLB or DE in the Pats system.

47. Arrelious Benn- Seems like the ideal other outside WR for the Pats with a more sturdy build than Moss.

53. Ricky Sapp- I realize I went defense with 3 out of 4 picks and left the hole at TE, but I've added a ton of speed and versatility to the front 7.

Just for fun, the rest of the draft

119: Anthony Dixon RB Mississippi State- very productive on bad team, gives us the big back we lack and replaces either Taylor or Morris

190. Derek Hardman OT Eastern Kentucky

205. Clifton Geathers DE South Carolina- can't pass him up this late, complete boom or bust pick

229. Joe Hawley C/G UNLV

231. Crezdon Butler CB Clemson

247. Alex Daniels DE/OLB Cincinnati- physical freak also worked out at TE

248. Brody Eldridge TE Oklahoma- has offensive guard and fullback experience too

250. Scott Long WR Louisville

Patriots slot (Big board ranking)

22 (27) Jerry Hughes
44 (55) Arrelious Benn
47 (61/67) Alex Carrington or Corey Wootton
53 (91) Austen Lane

22 Jared Odrick
44 Greg Hardy
47 Corey Wooton as an OLB
53 Jared Veldheer

Without spending a whole lot of time on it, and without trading, I'll sign up for Hughes, Benn, Hernandez, and B Tate.

22. Dan Williams NT/DE Tennessee
At 6'2 I'm not sure he can play the 5-technique but I think his athleticism and hustle in pursuit give him a shot. Could give Wilfork a blow inside at time as well. Williams, Pryor, and maybe Brace as young DLs with positional versatility will be too tempting for BB to pass up. Odrick would be great too. I guess I'm just trying to think a little outside the box.

44. Everson Griffen DE/OLB USC
Small motor/character questions but has the measurables (6'3 273 4.65 speed) and talent to play SOLB in the 3-4, LE in the 4-3, and DE in a 3-3-5 subpackage. Good bull rush and first step. Long arms

47. Ricky Sapp OLB Clemson
Has the measurables (6'4 252 4.65), work ethic, toughness, length, burst, and overall pass rush ability to eventually be a 3 down OLB. As a rookie he at least teams with Griffen to upgrade the pass rush. If he was healthy in 09 he is a Top 15 talent. The hole at OLB is desperate enough that two picks in the top 50 makes sense if there is value.

53. Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee
I'd prefer Jahvid Best but he is probably gone by this point. Hardesty hits the right hole, does it quickly, and runs with good body lean. Can also catch the ball well and even split out at times last year.

Positional depth/value had a lot to do with these 4 picks. I didn't pick a WR or TE because I think the best value for Patriot-type prospects at those spots is in rounds 3-5. WRs like Andre Roberts, Emmanuel Sanders, and Blair White are capable of playing outside or in the slot and fit the Pats mold. TEs like Tony Moeaki, Dennis Pitta, Ed ****son, and Clay Harbor make sense.

I think the RB well dries up really quickly after the top 5 or 6 guys.

The DE/OLB hybrid guys that fit the Pats prototype all have minor question marks that drive them down to Round 2.

DL depth is great everywhere in this draft but given BB's history and the hole at RE a versatile run-stuffing DL in round 1 makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes