Welcome to PatsFans.com

FILM STUDY: Chandler Jones Sack and Fumble Along With Dont'a Hightower's Touchdown

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFans.com Article, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFans.com Article

PatsFans.com Article Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

FILM STUDY: Chandler Jones Sack and Fumble Along With Dont'a Hightower's Touchdown
    By: Ian Logue

Here's a look at Patriots rookies Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower's play against the Titans where Jones forced a fumble, and Hightower recovered it for a TD....

2. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Re: FILM STUDY: Chandler Jones Sack and Fumble Along With Dont'a Hightower's Touchdow

This was by far my favorite play of the game for multiple reasons. For one thing it was nice to see the defense make a big impact play, especially after receiving so much grief the last couple of years. Beyond that it certainly made me smile to see the top two rookies combine on such a big play.

If this defense can continue to improve then the sky's the limit for this team.
  3. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Re: FILM STUDY: Chandler Jones Sack and Fumble Along With Dont'a Hightower's Touchdow

I haven't seen the game yet, so this was my first close look at the play. What's particularly impressive is that this happened on a 3-man rush. Pats were playing coverage on 3rd-and-13, yet still made such a play.

Regards,
    Chris
  4. BananaRepublican

BananaRepublican Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The left tackle got beaten by Hightower too. First he got beaten by Jones and then by Hightower who faked him out of his cleats. I think Hightower did play a little RB back in HS.

Jones' speed was noticeable and substantial once he got to the back side of the LT. The LT still could have held him off but Jones had the speed to get far enough behind the LT that he could then bolt past him. Perhaps that was because of his arm length, I don't really know, but he created a gap somehow and bolted through the gap right to Locker.

Now if that had been Eli Manning the ball would have popped up into the LT's hands and he would have carried it for a first down.
  5. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +118 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

Agreed - the speed with which he closed on Locker after getting past Roos was pretty remarkable. Even in slow motion, it still looked pretty fast.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  6. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 5 / -0

Is there a video of this play? My VCR broke during taping and I did not catch much of the game.
  7. Linda_The_Pats_Fan (She was NEM)

Linda_The_Pats_Fan (She was NEM) Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think that most defenders would have fallen on the ball rather than pick it up and have it knocked free again, but, I am glad Hightower did it his way cause it worked out for him.

Still, falling on it might have been the way Belichick might have preferred it.
  8. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 10 / -8

Not commented was that in addition to the sack/strip, CJ also tackled Locker preventing him from surging forward and falling on the loose ball...
  9. Linda_The_Pats_Fan (She was NEM)

Linda_The_Pats_Fan (She was NEM) Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Granted it is only one game, but if these guys progress as time moves on, this could go down as one of the best drafts of all time in Pats history.

Not just Jones and Hightower, but Tavon Wilson played well and there still are Bequette, Ebner and Dennard who are fitting in and of course, undrafted Brandon Bolden..
  10. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +282 / 13 / -8

#91 Jersey

a couple of things that go unnoticed in this brief set of slides that should be acknowledged.

1. Note the perfect position by Tavon Wilson on the TE in the second slide, then after the bump, the fact he's right on the outside hip of the TE, feeding him to the deep safety. That's just great play. He took the TE out of immediate consideration for Locker.

2. For all the grief Ninko has gotten this game, his initial rush gets Locker's immediate notice and forces his initial set up. Then he's double teamed along with Vince.

3. Mayo is right on the releasing RB and takes away any chance of a dump off.

4. So when Jones beats Roos, he is free to get to the QB and Hightower is free to "scoup and score".

The point here is that although they are nice plays done by our rookies, but even great plays aren't done in a vacuum, and we should never forget that.

Thanks for posting that set of slides. Ian
  11. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Here is one from nfl.com:

NFL Videos: Locker fumbles; Patriots recover for TD
  12. Nordberg

Nordberg Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like Simms reaction to how quickly Jones gets to the QB

"O my God"

Almost like he was in shock at how quickly he got the QB after getting around the tackle
  13. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So very sweet! So very, very sweet! :D
  14. woolster22

woolster22 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Jones has some amazing closing speed. Even on the touchdown (could be the illegitimate copy I scored...) He was in traffic at the los, and next thing you know he is in lockers grill, forcing an I'll advised pass that happened to work...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.