Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From Miguel on Twitter:

CapSpace=$6,247,787 ‏@patscap
CapSpace=$6,247,787 retweeted Joel Corry
We now know that it will cost $7.779m to place the 5th year option on Chandler Jones, $7.751m on Hightower.

CapSpace=$6,247,787 @patscap
ICYMI Q: When can @Patriots pick up Hightower +Chandler Jones' 2016 options? A: Deadline is 5/3.No reward,only risk in picking them up early

Any early thoughts? Hightower seems like a no brainer, but Chandler could be an interesting decision.

EDIT: Forgot the options aren't guarenteed until the start of the 2016 league year, so both are no brainers.

EDIT: Forgot the options aren't guarenteed until the start of the 2016 league year, so both are no brainers.

Yup!

It costs the team nothing to make the designation. For example, we could have (and still could) cut Solder with no cost to the team.

Right now if I had to pick between the 2 I am picking Hightower. He made a nice jump year 3. Still waiting for Jones to make his. He has been good but that as good as he should have been.

would this impact on extending them/signing them to a new contract? I would think BB would want to sign them long term for less ala gronk/assassin.

Devils advocate time. Does the designation weaken the teams bargaining position for long term deals. What if both are happy to take year 5 and see how it goes in FA. I'd like to see Donta locked up for 3 or 4 more years.

Picking up both is a no-brainer, IMO. Even with his inconsistency (relating to health), edge rushers are still valuable enough that <$8M is a go for Jones. He would get more than that on the open market, especially with the way the cap is going up.

I am "cap dumb", but don't these numbers count against next years cap?? We have about 30 million in cap space next year...

IMO any discussion of cutting Solder to save cap space is folly, left tackles are hard to find and he is more than serviceable.. replacing him will probably cost more, that what it would cost to extend him.

Jones had a hip injury. Hightower didn't used to stink/now is great. Jones didn't use to look great/now is questionable. they are both great players coming into their prime. sign the beasts [and obviously pick up options.]

I would pick up both option if we had to.

As for extensions (IF we had to do it this year), hightower should be a priority. He improved immensily during the last 2 seasons.

Jones, however, doesn't seem to have reach his ceiling yet. He is already good, but i think the popular opinion around is that he could be even better. Still, this reeks of a situation where the Pats would offer something below market value, the player would test FA and get signed to an overpaid salary somewhere else.
I am looking forward to 2015. Maybe Jones can finally become elite *fingers crossed*

From Miguel on Twitter:

CapSpace=$6,247,787 ‏@patscap
CapSpace=$6,247,787 retweeted Joel Corry
We now know that it will cost $7.779m to place the 5th year option on Chandler Jones, $7.751m on Hightower.

CapSpace=$6,247,787 @patscap
ICYMI Q: When can @Patriots pick up Hightower +Chandler Jones' 2016 options? A: Deadline is 5/3.No reward,only risk in picking them up early

Any early thoughts? Hightower seems like a no brainer, but Chandler could be an interesting decision.

Agreed that chandler jones is a tough decision... he's got a lot of talent, but hasn't been able to string together a dominant string of games to be considered even close to elite..

Problem is, he'll go to free agency and someone is going to throw stupid money at him likes he's getting 15 to 20 sacks a year..

I certainly wouldn't want to lose him, but if it's going to cost silly money to keep a player that has only hit double digit sacks once in his career and has missed a good chunk of games due to injury... that's a really, really tough decision.

It could be one of those scenarios where if you lose him, you won't be able to draft or sign someone better.... but do you overpay someone just because you can't find better? Or is it wiser to strengthen a different area with a stud.

This could all be a moot point next year if he has a breakout season. . I always find it interesting that players seen to have amazing seasons in a contract year and is part of the landmine field GMs have to navigate in the NFL are players that only put 100% effort in when they're trying to get a big guaranteed money payday

I hope we keep both of them and I also think the reason we stopped bidding on Revis was because of both these contracts coming up

It costs the team nothing to make the designation. For example, we could have (and still could) cut Solder with no cost to the team.

Cutting Solder would create a $7.438 million cap hit since his salary is now fully guaranteed.

FYI - If a team does not pick up the option, they would have to tag the player next year in order to retain control over the player. It is much cheaper to pick up the option now than to tag the player later.

Agreed that chandler jones is a tough decision... he's got a lot of talent, but hasn't been able to string together a dominant string of games to be considered even close to elite.

I agree with you that Chandler Jones' future here (aside from them almost certainly picking up the 5th yr option) is still very much up in the air.

FYI - If a team does not pick up the option, they would have to tag the player next year in order to retain control over the player. It is much cheaper to pick up the option now than to tag the player later.

Cutting Solder would create a $7.438 million cap hit since his salary is now fully guaranteed.

When does the money become fully guaranteed, Miguel?

In other words, is the only way out of the higher 2016 cap hit a longer term extension, or is there a "limbo" period where they can choose to pick up the 5th year option by 5/3 for 2016, and yet still decide to move on at some point? Thanks in advance.

Solder's 2015 salary became fully guaranteed at 4PM, March 10th.
If the options for Hightower and Chandler Jones are picked up, their 2016 salaries become fully guaranteed when the 2016 League Year begins.

Solder's 2015 salary became fully guaranteed at 4PM, March 10th.
If the options for Hightower and Chandler Jones are picked up, their 2016 salaries become fully guaranteed when the 2016 League Year begins.

Okay, so there is a period between May 2015 and March 2016 where they could, in theory, pick up the 5th year options, and then change their minds for whatever reason. I wouldn't think that it happens often (or ever), but I was just curious.

To clarify the timeline
May 3 =deadline to pick up 2016 option. Doing so makes the 2016 salary guaranteed for injury only.
2016 League Year begins = Injury guarantees changes to fully guaranteed.

In other words, if Pats do not pick up 2016 option by May 3 they can not do so afterwards.

Gotta do it. I'd be interested in having both sign longer term.

The last few drafts have added key personnel. HT & Jones are Great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back