PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Field Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remix 6

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
as we all know..our field is CRAP! reasons coem from the soccer team playing..and all that. the question is..would you be satisfied if we got turf? I know New England was a place that gave us an advantage but our field is hurting the players and the fans just think its crappy looking. i would be fine with turf..or just get the damn soccer club a new field.

I'd be disappointed.

we really need to get the damn soccer team its own field. Hardly anyone comes to see them so it shouldnt cost too much to build a small stadium for them.

Just say No to turf.

Simple answer:

No.

Jonathan Kraft was trying to get a new stadium built up closer to Boston. His reasoning, IIRC, was that there is more of an ethnic population in that area who may take more to soccer.

I was against turf at Paul Brown Stadium when they put it in, but it does seem to cut down on injuries etc.

i wasnt saying this to cut down on injuries..but it wont be sloppy and just so much better to play on..

why do u guys say no?

Does the field suck due to soccer? If so, the answer is simple. Screw soccer, nobody likes it except for the Europeans, and their taste in everything sucks.

I don't have a problem with the field.. When is soccer season over?

BradyManny2344 said:
Does the field suck due to soccer? If so, the answer is simple. Screw soccer, nobody likes it except for the Europeans, and their taste in everything sucks.

harsh opinion and a bit xenophobic...

i like soccer and i'm not european (though i guess many moons ago my ancestors came from there)...

'their taste in everything sucks'...have you ever been there?...cars, clothing, food, and many other commodities are much better IMO...

dude, you gotta get out of the house!

Last edited:
Field turf? Just say no! The thing is this field and all of the soil, soil amendments, irrigation and sub-surface heating and cooling technology could provide a pristine playing surface if that was the desired goal.

I've said it before and some are probably tired of hearing it, BUT, I work in the turf field industry (sports and golf course) and one of the associations we belong to had an open house at Gillette just after it opened. We got to meet with the groundskeeper (at that time), who's name escapes me right now, and he explained how Kraft flew him around to all of the new stadiums to talk with the groundskeepers there to see what the liked, didn't like and would change with their new stadium. BK took all of this into consideration when they were building the field surface, no expense was spared (including zone field heating and air circulation).

Fast forward a year and long story short. BB wants to practice on the field. Groundskeeper says no, the field needs the off-time to recover and grow and the Revolution also play on the field. BB wants to practice on the field during the week, tells BK, BK tells groundskeeper, groundskeeper resigns. Field goes to heck. And continues to. Remember the Titans playoff game? The NFL made the Pats re-sod the field.

BB dictates the condition of the field, not the groundskeeper. They have the ability to micromanage the growing conditions on that field if they wanted to. It's funny, for the first couple of years, the companies that did the sub-surface heating/air, irrigation and turf seed/fertilizer all heavily featured their product involvement at Gillette. Not so much now, even at trade shows there is little more than a passing mention.

Being a turf guy it would pain me to see the field in the condition it always is if it weren't for BB wanting it that way. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me! :)

Please, no.

I am not a fan of FieldTurf. At Michigan, our old natural field made Gillette look like the Augusta fairways. Our stadium is built underground, so drainage and maintaining conditions were awful. Huge chunks of sod would come up, and we were once forced to resod during the season because the field was unplayable. The FieldTurf solves the problem, but it just doesn't look right to me. I love the nasty conditions, and the field being torn to hell, and it really does provide an advantage to the team who is familiar with that setting. Keep the grass!

CTPatsFan said:
I've said it before and some are probably tired of hearing it, BUT, I work in the turf field industry (sports and golf course) and one of the associations we belong to had an open house at Gillette just after it opened.

... etc ...
Nice insight CT! Thanks.

since67 said:
harsh opinion and a bit xenophobic...

i like soccer and i'm not european (though i guess many moons ago my ancestors came from there)...

'their taste in everything sucks'...have you ever been there?...cars, clothing, food, and many other commodities are much better IMO...

dude, you gotta get out of the house!

You need to get out of this country, communist.

It's called tongue and cheek. Another thing all Europeans lack, a sense of humor. (Again, tongue and cheek, so relax. Commie.)

Last edited:
Hell no, I hate turf!

Our field has always been considered an advantage...especially when we had a kicker that excelled in crappy conditions. I think Gost. needs alot more practice on it and he'll be fine. And I think it needed to rain more on Sunday night, it wasn't nasty enough.

Everybody plays on the same field, if it sucks, it sucks for everyone, there's no advantage to be found in being used to playing on sucky field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back