PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fernando Bryant: "Time for a change"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The title quote is in reference to his moving on from Detriot, but the following excerpts were among the articles most appealing:

"I'm a system guy. I believe in doing what you are supposed to do. I don't gamble. I might not have a lot of picks, but I have a lot of pass breakups," Bryant said of his playing style that's led to seven career interceptions and 88 passes defensed. "On third down, I know how to get off the field. I know the responsibilities of a corner on first and second down and trying to get to third down and winning on the big downs. That's what I've done throughout my career.

"Consistency. That's one thing I pride myself on. I pride myself on knowing where to be and being there. I'm not the flashy corner. I don't celebrate a lot. I don't do a lot of things. But I don't give up a lot of touchdowns. That's what I've been known for. I don't' get beat deep a lot. As far as knowing what to do and being there down in and down out, that's what I thrive on."
http://nwe.scout.com/2/745474.html (free to view)

The title quote is in reference to his moving on from Detriot, but the following excerpts were among the articles most appealing:

http://nwe.scout.com/2/745474.html (free to view)

I sure would not ask for much more....."On third down, I know how to get off the field"

Nice find there Seb, thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I sure would not ask for much more....."On third down, I know how to get off the field"

Nice find there Seb, thanks for posting.

if theres a knock on Samuel, its that. he gambled 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th down.

Sounds awesome. A pick 6 is very exciting, but after the Super Bowl I will take passes broken up any day of the week.

Sounds awesome. A pick 6 is very exciting, but after the Super Bowl I will take passes broken up any day of the week.

Two passes in particular. :(

I'm impressed to hear a guy from such a bad situation in Detroit come out with such a good head on his shoulders. It speaks very well for him. I'm guardedly optimistic about his ability to do a very good job in Asante's spot.

Last edited:
I agree, I hated that part of Samuel's game. I like Bryant. He's the typical veteran Patriot FA signing, I hope we wont be dissapointed.

The more I hear about this guy the more it sounds like a very solid pick up. And the only thing I really new about him before the signing was that he was a career starter. And I am starting to breath a sigh of relief about our secondary. I have always been high on Hobbs and I think Bryant will be more than an adaquate starter for us. Webster should be able to replace Gay. We are staked at safety with Harrison Merriweather and Sanders. And the xfactor is anyone we draft which is much expected.

The team might be a little thin at a few areas but we havent had the draft yet and this team is Stacked.

Sounds like this guy really wants to help us and will.
Just keep them covered Fernando. The front 7 will do the rest.

Let's not Kiss this guys but yet, he seems like a solid veteran and has his head in the right place.
As BB always said just do your job, when players try to over compensate, or make a sports center play is when it can 50 50 go either way.
I'd rather the defensive back go for the deflection or just blanket coverage on the receiver and not anticipate where the ball will go.
I think that's a lot more the style we'll see from our d backs this year.
If were going for a corner early on i hope it's flowers.
He showed he's not afraid to hit people is always around the play at the college level.
That kind of awareness and desire, tenacious love for the game can't be coached.
I would love a trade down in the first secure Groves, Select Flowers with a second and Avril with a trade up or are oakland third.

This guy will probably get burned deep on the first play of the opening game.

J/K. I love his optimism and am looking forward to seeing what he can do in our system. He basically said he makes better decisions than #22, but didn't bash Asante either. That's impressive.

I hope that doesn't mean he allows everything in front of him like we've seen from a few corners here time to time. I like the don't get beat deep strategy, but I don't want endless 7-12 yards pick-ups either.

I've got a good feeling about Bryant. I think he can be good in our system.

I hope that doesn't mean he allows everything in front of him like we've seen from a few corners here time to time. I like the don't get beat deep strategy, but I don't want endless 7-12 yards pick-ups either.
Ouch! Good point. That can be nerve racking.

I like what I'm hearing. The Pats have quietly gone about having an excellent off season so far (I consider the re-signing of Moss a huge part of that statement). If it wasn't for the huge off season last year, this would probably seem even more exciting.

Now that's a man who sounds like a team player. I can't imagine a better attitude.

The Pats have quietly gone about having an excellent off season so far.
No question about it. This guy is known for being a great person, and that plays out on the field as well as off the field. Each year, the Patriots try to build chemistry by bringing in hungry, high-character vets who appreciate the chance to compete and will give extra effort in practice and film study. Seau was that kind of guy and maybe he'll be back.

Seems to me like Bryant is that kind of guy, and to me, this quote says it all:
"(The Patriots) called and said they were interested and eventually if I hadn't signed with anybody they wanted to talk to me," Bryant said. "I had a couple visits set up, but they called and said they were ready for me to come in. I just decided to pick here because of the opportunity to win and to have the opportunity to try to win a Super Bowl now. That's what every player wants."
The Pats made it clear they weren't going to compete on financial terms and even though Bryant had other visits scheduled, he decided that he wantedto be with the Patriots more than he wanted the money.

this guy sounds like Duane Starks but without the suckyness

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye