Welcome to PatsFans.com

FEMA Meets the Press, Which Happens to Be . . . FEMA

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Oct 26, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

we alledged the Administration has been doing this in the WH press room for years... absurd, we were told... fact is, it's a common practice by this group... FEMA, State Department, Justice... doesn't matter... the edict is clear: control the message...

FEMA Meets the Press, Which Happens to Be . . . FEMA

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/25/AR2007102502488.html
    By Al Kamen
    Friday, October 26, 2007; Page A19

FEMA has truly learned the lessons of Katrina. Even its handling of the media has improved dramatically. For example, as the California wildfires raged Tuesday, Vice Adm. Harvey E. Johnson, the deputy administrator, had a 1 p.m. news briefing.

<snip>

Of course, that could be because the questions were asked by FEMA staffers playing reporters. We're told the questions were asked by Cindy Taylor, FEMA's deputy director of external affairs, and by "Mike" Widomski, the deputy director of public affairs. Director of External Affairs John "Pat" Philbin asked a question, and another came, we understand, from someone who sounds like press aide Ali Kirin.

Asked about this, Widomski said: "We had been getting mobbed with phone calls from reporters, and this was thrown together at the last minute."

But the staff did not make up the questions, he said, and Johnson did not know what was going to be asked. "We pulled questions from those we had been getting from reporters earlier in the day." Despite the very short notice, "we were expecting the press to come," he said, but they didn't. So the staff played reporters for what on TV looked just like the real thing.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

They could have made some political hay with this. The guy could have said something like:

'The stupid, lazy press is too busy finding out about Paris Hilton's new hairstyle to show up here today so I've instructed my staffers to ask any questions they think the American people would like answered.'

Instead they automatically and instinctually lie.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Well, they are part of the government aren't they?

FEMA, what a joke.

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

Yeah, that would have created all sorts of good will, especially for an agency already held in such high regard for their last handling of a natural disaster.

I think what they needed to was either

1) cancel the conference, or
    2) announce that FEMA will be answering questions reported asked by phone earlier, respectfully adding that the stars just did not align for a good turnout by the press.

That gives you a minor embarassment rather than the level they ended up with... choice (1) gives them a total out, most likely.

PFnV

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +815 / 26 / -33

Chertoff is pissed, this behemoth agency needs some serious streamlining or it will fall all over its bloated self... to just combine agencies is not a good thing, should have blown everything up and started over again.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 3 / -10

Everybody And Anybody That Holds A Position Of Authority In Fema Should Have Been FIRED On The Spot.

90% Of The Politicans In This Country Both Republican & Democrat Should Be Publicly Executed, Shot Dead.

I Have More Respect And Would Put More Trust In Members Of The Mafia, Drug Dealers, Pimps And Street Corner Whores Than I Would A Professional Politician.

When I Voted For G Bush I Didn't Vote For G Bush I Voted Against The Two "JERKS" That Opposed Him.

Click On This Link, It Isn't From Fox news Or Rush Limbaugh It Is Taken Right Out Of The Liberal Left Wing Democrat Bible (The Ny Times)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/w...int&adxnnlx=1193573298-aNVkmWXX0CYyUAmLnVA7SA

If Your Son Or Daughter Wants To Be A Professional Politician Kill Them.

:bricks: