PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger's Negativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've never written a bad thing about Michael Felger. I've always liked him. Some of you have posted that he goes more and more negative just to ruffle feathers.

I never disagreed with that. I never agreed. I just bit my lip.

Man, I TOTALLY AGREE with that now. I have been watching closely, and he just doesn't shut up with the negativity.

The thing that set me off was when the other night on FSN he rambled about how this Patriots team has no depth, and in past years they had much more, and on and on.

He's a freakin' idiot. I've seen it in print now too, and he uses the linebackers as the example of why the whole team has less depth than years past.

Bull crap!!! The linebackers may have less depth, but then, they may have the same number of players as years past, so lets see if any of this young talent (Alexander, Beisel, Roach, etc.) bursts onto the scene.

Moreover, this offensive line is the deepest this team has had in years. The defensive line is the best in the NFL, or at least one of the best and deepest. I bet alot of teams would love to have a TE trio of Graham, Watson, and Thomas. I'm sure having a first round pick backing up Dillion is a bad thing? We have TWO kickers kicking well in camp. We have TWO long snappers, and not just the one we normally had. There seem to be many, many able DBs out there, and we can now add Rodney Harrison to that group. The WR situation isn't good until Branch gets back, but if he does, and Jackson and Caldwell perform, might Felger say something positive??? We'll see.

In summary, while the team doesn't have depth everywhere, or at least not yet, I think their OLine, DLine, RBs, and TEs, AT LEAST are deeper than teams of the recent pass, and I'd love somebody to prove that not to be true.

Felger, get back to what you were. You're turning negative, or stupid, or both.

I used to like Felger. He used to be objective. Now he's just negative to get ratings. I can't listen to his radio show anymore.

He's right though. Our LB's use to be:

Bruschi, Vrabel, Phifer, Colvin, Johnson, McGinest

The recievers were:

Branch, givens, Brown, patten.

This years team could easily be 12-4, but if their are any prolonged injuries to a starter were in bad shape.

were in worse shape going into this year then last year. Its just a fact, not negativity.

R_T26 said:
were in worse shape going into this year then last year. Its just a fact, not negativity.
I don't think we are, it's just a positional thing. We're weaker at LB. We are at WR but that's because of d!ckface Branch. However we're deeper at RB, Safety, TE, OL. And DL.

What the mindless folk like Felger and Borges do is compare the Patriots to a perfect team noting any imperfections in the process and making them out to be huge deficiencies in print and on the air. Of course, under such scrutiny, even the most clueless of clueless dorks will find a weakness or two. But what these idiotic fools aren't even smart enough to realize is that this is the way of life in today's NFL. No team is perfect like what these brainless doofus' are holding the Pats up to be. All they need do is quickly peruse the depth charts of the top teams that'll be battling it out with the Pats to realize this. Heck, if the Pats had some of the players starting that these other top teams have they'd be hanging BB up by his gonads.

What these wannabee analysts need to realize is that the Pats don't have to have 53 great players to win their 4th Lombardi in the last 6 years. All they need be is better than the other 31 teams who have as many, if not more, faults than do the Pats.

Last edited by a moderator:
the rant continues today on the show. Same stuff of the pats not even trying to spend money on another beisel and brown like last yr even though they didnt work out. i tuned in to listen to the rodney intw and the same rant is on.

Felger talks all that crap on his radio show. I wonder if he did all this ranting while he spoke to Harrison?

It's not a lack of depth, but a lack of perspective on Felgers part. Or maybe it's a lack of depth perception?

BelichickFan said:
We are at WR but that's because of d!ckface Branch.

I don't know whose depth chart you're looking at, but I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money that on Sep 10th, Branch is your starting WR.

As for depth at positions, it's totally irrelevant right now. Last year at this time, everyone was talking about the depth at DB - Samuel, Gay, Poole, Chad Scott, Hobbs, Poteat, Starks, Rodney, Wilson, Gus Scott, Sanders, Reid. We were so "deep" that we ended up cutting Reid and Poteat. But in the first half of the season, 6 of those guys ended up on IR.

On the other hand, during the 2003 Superbowl run, the secondary was basically 5 deep - Law, Poole, Samuel, Wilson, Rodney. And by some miracle, none of them got hurt for any significant period of time.

Last edited:
Bobs My Uncle said:
What the mindless folk like Felger and Borges do is compare the Patriots to a perfect team noting any imperfections in the process and making them out to be huge deficiencies in print and on the air. Of course, under such scrutiny, even the most clueless of clueless dorks will find a weakness or two. But what these idiotic fools aren't even smart enough to realize is that this is the way of life in today's NFL. No team is perfect like what these brainless doofus' are holding the Pats up to be. All they need do is quickly peruse the depth charts of the top teams that'll be battling it out with the Pats to realize this. Heck, if the Pats had some of the players starting that these other top teams have they'd be hanging BB up by his gonads.

What these wannabee analysts need to realize is that the Pats don't have to have 53 great players to win their 4th Lombardi in the last 6 years. All they need be is better than the other 31 teams who have as many, if not more, faults than do the Pats.

You hit the nail on the head. It's practically impossible to have ideal depth at all positions in the salary cap era. For example, Steve Young would never have backed up Montana if they'd had the cap to deal with.

Is there really a lack of depth on the Pats? Seems to me that when the Ty's (Poole and Law) went down, we had no idea who Randall Gay was and whether he'd be able to step in for our great corners. Earthwind Moreland wasn't exactly what anyone would call "depth." Neither was Troy Brown and that worked out OK.

Those are two examples and I can think of so many more. The truth is when these guys have to step in, they get coached up and coached up well. In addition, game plans are devised to protect the shortcomings. 4-3 anyone?

I look at the past when all were in a panic about who was going to play nose tackle before Ted Washington was signed, then a panic set in after he left. Does anyone remember the depth at WR in '01? Freddie Coleman was thier 3rd WR. CB during the SB39. No Law. How will the secondary ever stop the vaunted Colts offense? 20-3. Asante Samuel and Randal Gay. Why ***** about this stufff now when it could mean nothing come September 10th? Seems like "who can yell the loudest is the most right" philosophy for some in the media.

Hoodie and PatsRI came from different directions, but both provided excellent posts. Other well stated points on why Felger doesn't know what he is talking about. How do half these writers get jobs? I mean, I know Borges has the whole "bosses picture with the sheep thing", but what about the others?:)

Some print writers and amost all the radio and tv guys are entertainers. They are trying to create some controversy and get ratings. Take everything they say in this context. Oh yeah other than a select few (Reiss & Curran come to mind) the analysis is a mile wide and an inch deep.

felger -here he goes again on FSN tonite.Same old ,pats are too hard asses on negotiating..werent proactive with mcginest vinateri etc...says they should keep their philosophy but loosen up a little...
maybe the pats should hire him to spend someone else's money

The Pats used to have no depth at RB and OL, now they have.

They have no quality depth at LB and questionable at WR and QB.

In my opinion.

In my opinion, the writers are negative controversy creators in reality, so no need to jump on them when they are right, (LB depth).

There is somewhat of a case to be made that we could have afforded more talent without stretching the cap.

Agree or disagree, if you're fair you should agree it is a valid point.

SVN said:
felger -here he goes again on FSN tonite.Same old ,pats are too hard asses on negotiating..werent proactive with mcginest vinateri etc...says they should keep their philosophy but loosen up a little...
maybe the pats should hire him to spend someone else's money

He was really pathetic tonight...continues to berate the Pats over Adam and Willie. He keeps acting as if he knows what he is talking about and he really doesn't.

Fact of the matter is - nobody knows how the AV situation will play out. If the rookie makes the sqaud, has a decent year and does not blow an ygames and maybe even wins one or two - it will end up bein ga great move as we wil be set for years at the position once again - at a huge savings. Nobody knows if Adam will have a great year or if he is indeed aging...certainly, his best years are behind him.

The point is he is so damn aloof and negative now - so different that a year or so ago. What happened to him anyway, I used to respect him.

Last edited:
Bostonian1962 said:
Felger, get back to what you were. You're turning negative, or stupid, or both.
Amen. He used to be the anti-Borges, especially during the great Brady-Bledsoe debates of '01. But now he's doing his best to be a Borges clone.

fgssand said:
The point is he is so damn aloof and negative now - so different that a year or so ago. What happened to him anyway, I used to respect him.
Me, too. I once listened to what he said the way I now listen to Mike Reiss.

Tonight he said he hopes that Goskowski misses a FG and Grammatica kick off short so he can "ramp up" the we-should-have-paid Vinatieri talk.

The problem is that they spout this crap, predicting dire consequences (sort of like here at Patsfans) and then when it doesn't happen it is never brought up because there is a new peice of sky to say is falling.

Remember all the yapping done aobut losing Milloy. A lot more than about AV/Givens/WMG combined. After the loss to Buffalo they were all predicting a plunge to mediocrity. I don't recall any of them saying, "You know I was wrong. All the bad stuff I was sure would happen never did." Nope, they just find new stuff of panic about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back