PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger's having a conniption....

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
Armen - Flegie didn't want them to win the game. He was pretty proud that BB went with his call of play all the scrubs and create your own bye. JAX is the weakest sister in the gang of 6 in the AFC. Facing them first not only gives us a better chance of advancing out of the gate, it gives us an equally good chance of hosting the AFCC. Pittsburgh is a punishing opponent, as well we know, even when you beat them. Let them punish the others.

Felger grew up in cheese head land and attended BU (trying to follow a girlfriend who was going to BC). He admitted he doesn't know Flutie at all. His mere existence is what makes Felger lose his mind. He hates BC.

At times, Felger comes off worse than Gresch or Shepard or any of them. It's unfortunate because he's a pretty sharp guy. Just prone to fits of over the top hysteria. I think there is a wise guy ego right under the surface that gets the best of him. I'm sure Sara is up on all the latest parenting tools - she needs to give her hubby some time outs for behaving badly in public.

She can spank me anytime

Michael said:
And I'll bet that girl had a thing for Flutie. That must be what's bothering him. :D

All of us girls had a thing for Flutie......I still do!

I think the thing with Felger is that he is trying to stir things up for his radio show. He was a good writer before he started doing all the tv and radio gigs. Now that he has his own show and is on the FSNE show all the time he has become obnoxious.

Thank goodness for Mike Reiss!

Good that someone is calling the play for what it was - an embarrassment to the game so someone once again would herald BB as a genius.

The first time someone actually calls a genius because of that play, you might have at least a semblance of an argument. But noone has or likely will -- everyone sees it for what it was, something fun to keep his team interested after they clinched the division and something to keep other coaches constantly wondering what he might do.

BB's unpredictability increases opposing coaches' preparation, and after the 1940s film session he conducted two weeks ago we should have seen something like this coming. It might not be a coincidence the last successful dropkick was the same year as the film BB screened, he might have dug it out to get an example of a dropkick in a game situation to show to the team!

Last edited:
ClosingTime said:
Good that someone is calling the play for what it was - an embarrassment to the game so someone once again would herald BB as a genius.
Most of the football fans watching that play appreciated it for what it was...not a moment for BB but Flutie, and a tip of the hat to the history or art of the "game". Classy all the way around!

re:

Why?

If the Pats failed on the 2-pt conversion, it would have been 28-19, with no chance to tie.

BB was right to keep putting up 7 until he absolutely had to go for 2.

i dont see the big deal.. i thought it was great.. all it was, was a glorified way of kicking and extra point.. big deal.. i dont understand anyone getting upset over it..

Flutie Hits NFL's 1st Drop Kick Since '41

http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/articles/2006/01/01/ap/sports/d8es90ug0.txt

According to the Pro Football Hall of Fame web site, the league's last drop kick for points was on Dec. 21, 1941 _ two weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor _ when Ray "Scooter" McLean converted for the Chicago Bears to beat the New York Giants 37-9 in the NFL championship game.

"Flutie might have been there the last time it happened," placekicker Adam Vinatieri joked.

The ball was more round until 1934, making the bounce more predictable. And the rules were changed to require the kicker to be behind the line of scrimmage, relegating the drop kick to a riskier version of a place kick or extra point.
-----
"It sort of screwed me up," said Dolphins coach Nick Saban, who needed a timeout to get things straight. "I couldn't figure out what was going on. They had a quarterback in, four tight ends and a receiver and there was no kicker."

Flutie took his position for a regular shotgun snap, then retreated to the 12 yard-line to await the ball; he caught the ball, dropped it to the grass and kicked it off the short hop straight through the uprights. After getting a hug on the field by his teammates, Flutie ran off to embrace Belichick.

Even Saban appreciated the moment.

"I was kind of pleased to know that somebody can still drop kick," Saban said. "Man, when I was a kid we all practiced that. Thought it was a lost art.

"But," he added, "you know Flutie showed his age on that one."

Felger's going to feel pretty silly when he reads Chris's blog about how the drop kick came to be.

Personally, I thought it was pretty cool. Meaningless game, and drop kicking hte extra point gave the same result as a PAT, which given the score was the correct call to make, not a 2 point attempt.

Didn't you see the huge grin and smirk on BB's face afterwards. he loved it.

I just wish theyed have done it on Monday night football!

alamo said:
BB's unpredictability increases opposing coaches' preparation, and after the 1940s film session he conducted two weeks ago we should have seen something like this coming. It might not be a coincidence the last successful dropkick was the same year as the film BB screened, he might have dug it out to get an example of a dropkick in a game situation to show to the team!

Good point, alamo! I just posted the same thought on another thread, before I read here that you had beaten me to it. Notice how BB already knew (in postgame press conference) that 1941 was the last dropkick. He showed the media that film before last week's game. Flutie said they had hoped to dropkick last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back