PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger's article..Vinateri can't go..what are Pats thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think that Adam was dead set on testing the free agency waters unless the Pats were willing to give him a contract that he and his agent were 100% positive that no other team in the NFL would match. Adam and his agent were probably only going to make a decision after the Free Agency period opened, not before.

It's not a foregone conclusion that Adam will leave us. I think he just wants the market to set the price. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats would be willing to match a reasonable offer, and by reasonable I mean a contract that will still keep him as the highest paid kicker in the league but not at double the salary of the second highest paid kicker in the league which stands at just above $2 million a year currently.

re:

Jonathan Kraft said the Pats will spend to the cap and that it's up to Bill and Scott to figure out how to spend those dollars.

I love Vinatieri, but I don't know if he's worth 3-4 million a year.

smg93 said:
I really think that Adam was dead set on testing the free agency waters unless the Pats were willing to give him a contract that he and his agent were 100% positive that no other team in the NFL would match. Adam and his agent were probably only going to make a decision after the Free Agency period opened, not before.

It's not a foregone conclusion that Adam will leave us. I think he just wants the market to set the price. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats would be willing to match a reasonable offer, and by reasonable I mean a contract that will still keep him as the highest paid kicker in the league but not at double the salary of the second highest paid kicker in the league which stands at just above $2 million a year currently.
I agree...and at the time these negotiations were going on..there was no CBA extension and who knew
how high they could go with a contract and not mess up their salary structure. No they could NOT afford a contract that was that high off the bat with an uncertain future. On the other hand, I also think Adam wanted to test the waters. I don't see it as a definite AdamV not coming back despite what his quotes were in the Orlando paper or the fact that he is out there.
They may indeed match an offer as long as it is not totally out of the ballpark.
As was pointed out in a PFT blurb a few days ago, those FA over 30 can get hoodwinked into looking at the short view of things and not looking at how it plays out in 10-15 years...years where the agent has gotten his money and is long gone. What is interesting is that Felger doesn't seem to understand the situation the Patriots were in before the CBA extension was signed. Just wonder what was he thinking??

IMO the Pats will get right of first refusal. They said go see what you can get on the market, but we only ask that before you sign it, you come back to us to see if we can match it.

Willie55 said:
IMO the Pats will get right of first refusal. They said go see what you can get on the market, but we only ask that before you sign it, you come back to us to see if we can match it.

I'm sure it isn't a formal right of first refusal, but maybe one of those wink wink ones. I think it would only be right for Adam to do that. After all he's been the highest paid kicker in the league over the last few years and it would be nice to see him give the Pats at least a warning before he agrees to any contract. He certainly doesn't have to do that, but considering how much success Adam has had with the Patriots and vice versa, it would be a good gesture.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:

I tend to think along these lines as well.
Felger's article seems to lack the viewpoint that Adam has been well paid by the Pats these last few years, and that the offer they've made is a good one.
His slant is the tired old one of the Stingy Pats.

maverick4 said:
Jonathan Kraft said the Pats will spend to the cap and that it's up to Bill and Scott to figure out how to spend those dollars.

I love Vinatieri, but I don't know if he's worth 3-4 million a year.

Some of the best players on this team don't even make that kind of coin. How do you justify paying a kicker that kind of money? How many tackles is he going to make? How many blocks is he going to make? How many times is he going to run the football and how many catches is he going to complete. Can he manage the offense and put everyone in the right position to make plays?
Look, I love Adam. He's clutch, and he's made some great kicks for us. But he is just a kicker. Every so often they will stick in a gadget play or two for him, but his job is basically to kick.
I for one have a problem with paying a KICKER 3-4 million a year. I think that a contract that pays out anywhere between $2.5 million and $3 million a year is more than enough to invest in that position. Anything above $3million is to much, IMO.

Michael's GOT to have a schtick for his radio show. He needs his own Manny Peed in the Wall. Something he can be indignant about five days a week. This is it.

All this worry over a kicker? He's been damn reliable but he's still just a kicker. Would you rather sign him to a fat contract or be able to sign a decent CB or a very good safety?

For the $3M-$4M talked about to pay Adam I'd rather give that to a positional player who can get us more points so that the game doesn't have to come down to a FG to win.

That's just me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back