PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger says he wouldn't be suprised if Calvin Johnson is a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Saw him say it on Sports Tonight last night. He said that Johnson never really had to run routes in college because he could just use his size and atleticism to beat defenders for the ball, which he won't be able to do on a regular basis in the NFL. I just thought it was interesting because everything has been a complete love fest for the Johnson and this is the first negative thing I have heard said about him.

CJ could then become a dominant Tony Gonzalez style TE. Calvin is a strong and willing blocker for a WR.

Last edited:
Saw him say it on Sports Tonight last night. He said that Johnson never really had to run routes in college because he could just use his size and atleticism to beat defenders for the ball, which he won't be able to do on a regular basis in the NFL. I just thought it was interesting because everything has been a complete love fest for the Johnson and this is the first negative thing I have heard said about him.
im sure all the teams are adjusting their boards after hearing that, in fact he is the only one ive heard anything like that, he is a complete package and will not be a bust, the only thing that is certain is felger is a bust as a writer and radio personality

It's just Felger being Felger. The covnentional wisdom is that CJ is a solid a pick as there is NOT to be a bust in the NFL. Using size and athleticism has worked out pretty well for Randy Moss (when he wants to play) in the NFL so why shouldn't it work for Johnson? The guy is 6'5, not afraid of contact and comes down with the ball in traffic. How does that not translate well to the NFL? Give him a solid QB, a decent receiving corps (so he's not doubled all the time) and then watch out.
Somehow I have a feeling that this may go up there with the infamous Borges quote, " on a day when they could have had David Terrell, the Pats chose Richard Seymour."
Just my $0.02,

Last edited:
Yet another example of a hack making a ridiculous claim so that, on the off chance it comes true he can strut around and proclaim his brilliance. And since there is seemingly no real accountablity for sports journalists, when inevitably he is wrong he'll just move on and make more ill informed, contrarian statements on the next topic du jour.

hes just trying to get credit if it happens.

CJ is a hard worker so even if the routes thing is true..hes willing to learn. Hes smart, strong, capable, willing of doing anything u ask him to.

plus what difference does it make what route he runs..his QB can only throw 1 kind of pass..deep and it wasnt even nice

With our resident contrarian, Borges on unplanned vacation, one of the scribes has to act stupid.. felger rushes in.

Speaking of David Terrell,If I remembered correctly EVERYBODY who followed his collegiate career expected Terrell to be a superstar just like Calvin is expected to - Didn't happen then.

Not trying to defend Felger but the only thing in life that is guaranteed is Death and Taxes.

Speaking of David Terrell,If I remembered correctly EVERYBODY who followed his collegiate career expected Terrell to be a superstar just like Calvin is expected to - Didn't happen then.

Not trying to defend Felger but the only thing in life that is guaranteed is Death and Taxes.

Roy Williams was supposed to be a superstar like Calvin..and he is

theres a 50% chance any player busts or doesnt

Roy Williams was supposed to be a superstar like Calvin..and he is

theres a 50% chance any player busts or doesnt

Can't go against that 50-50 theory

Calvin looks good,plays good,should play good at the upper level but we simply don't know till he steps out on the field a few games,He can't be worse his rookie year than Chad Jackson,All I can say is it depends on who his quarterback is,coach is,offensive line is and blockers are - He can't do it all on his own

A team like the Buccaneers if they have a veteran like Garcia at QB would be in his best interest rather then catch passes from Kitna,Frye,Culpepper (if traded to Oak),Walter ect

If he goes to Tampa Bay IMO he will have a better season than in Oakland,Detroit or Cleveland

Iverson says he would be surprised if JaMarcus Russell wasn't a bust.

It's just Felger being Felger. The covnentional wisdom is that CJ is a solid a pick as there is NOT to be a bust in the NFL. Using size and athleticism has worked out pretty well for Randy Moss (when he wants to play) in the NFL so why shouldn't it work for Johnson? The guy is 6'5, not afraid of contact and comes down with the ball in traffic. How does that not translate well to the NFL? Give him a solid QB, a decent receiving corps (so he's not doubled all the time) and then watch out.
Somehow I have a feeling that this may go up there with the infamous Borges quote, " on a day when they could have had David Terrell, the Pats chose Richard Seymour."
Just my $0.02,

6'4 : ) ............

Last edited:
didn't people think Lavar Arrington was gonna be great?

If he doesn't know how to run routes then the timing will be off big time with his qb. but then again michael vick doesn't know how to play qb and relies on his athleticism.

Johnson had Reggie Ball,maube the absolute worst QB throwing to him. I forget who Terrell had, but I think that he acutally turned out to be a pretty good QB.

Johnson looked great in both his bowl game and the Senior bowl. Some numbers that would distrub me, if I was drafting Johnson are:

11/25/06 vs. Georgia : 2 Rec for 13 yards, Long 10 yards
2005 vs. Georgia: 2 Rec for 14 yards, Long 10 yards, 1 TD

He lit up the ACC, but his numbers get a little pedestrian when he plays with the Big Boys (Dawgs).

Still, I think that he is going to be an excellent Pro

Anyone can be a bust. Anyone except for the two plyaers that the Pats draft in round 1 on Saturday.

Johnson had Reggie Ball,maube the absolute worst QB throwing to him. I forget who Terrell had, but I think that he acutally turned out to be a pretty good QB.

Johnson looked great in both his bowl game and the Senior bowl. Some numbers that would distrub me, if I was drafting Johnson are:

11/25/06 vs. Georgia : 2 Rec for 13 yards, Long 10 yards
2005 vs. Georgia: 2 Rec for 14 yards, Long 10 yards, 1 TD

He lit up the ACC, but his numbers get a little pedestrian when he plays with the Big Boys (Dawgs).

Still, I think that he is going to be an excellent Pro

Calvin didnt play Senior Bowl..he wasnt a Senior

didn't people think Lavar Arrington was gonna be great?

If he doesn't know how to run routes then the timing will be off big time with his qb. but then again michael vick doesn't know how to play qb and relies on his athleticism.

Arrington was great for a few years, and you can't compare a LB to WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye