PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger says he is suspicious of Brady using roids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listen to the guy and i think the context was lost.

A caller called up and asked what about brady when they where talking about roger as his number was in the phone of the trainer.

felger said he as a reporter has asked brady a few times and brady has stuck to his side every time . But he indicated only brady truely knows as this was the 2000-2001 year when brady put on 15 lbs of muscle in one year.

Brady 2000 was a skinny kid. It is NOT unusual to have a workaholic player who assiduously follows a NFL workout regimin 'pump himself up' as someone usta say.

On 98.5 right now. Anyone else listening to this?

ETA: he's using the fact that Brady's number was on Greg Andersons phone as the basis for his skepticism.

Your listening to Felger?

So how are you doing?

Zo, Gresh, Felger ... can't believe anyone wastes 1 minute of their life listening to those dooshbags.

2.) He was talking, among other things, about being skeptical regarding players that you wouldn't normally think about with regards to this stuff. It wasn't just Brady that he was talking about. Other names mentioned include Griffey Jr. and Tony Gwynn. Brady's name, naturally, will draw more attention.

I don't have a problem with the overall issue that he's talking about, but that's about as reckless and stupid a way as I can think of to present it. Is everyone in doubt? Absolutely. There isn't a single player in the NFL who I would be surprised to learn was on roids and/or HGH. But why call out specific guys? It's just dumb, especially someone like Gwynn or Griffey (there's no reason at all to believe that either of them juiced, and plenty of reason to believe that they didn't). Griffey hit 30+ HRs only twice after he turned 30, and Gwynn was hardly a specimen of physical fitness.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the overall issue that he's talking about, but that's about as reckless and stupid a way as I can think of to present it. Is everyone in doubt? Absolutely. There isn't a single player in the NFL who I would be surprised to learn was on roids and/or HGH. But why call out specific guys? It's just dumb, especially someone like Gwynn or Griffey (there's no reason at all to believe that either of them juiced, and plenty of reason to believe that they didn't). Griffey hit 30+ HRs only twice after he turned 30, and Gwynn was hardly a specimen of physical fitness.

Without debating the merits of Felger's claim to any real degree, he noted the "prime" steroid years in the mid-late 90's, which does make sense when you look at players like McGwire. Gwynn, for example, hit double digit homer runs only 5 times in his 20 year career, and 3 of them came from 1997-1999, when he was 37,38 and 39. The year prior, in 1996, Gwynn had hit just 3 home runs in 116 games. It could be coincidence, but it does line up.

Griffey had similar success during that time (4 highest season HR totals from 1996-1999), but it was also his career prime (26-29), so it's a bit more of a stretch to argue that one without more evidence, IMO.

Last edited:

So how are you doing?

Zo, Gresh, Felger ... can't believe anyone wastes 1 minute of their life listening to those dooshbags.

Is spell-check not working!

That ranks right up there with the discussion yesterday where Felger was harping on the fact he's 4-4 in the postseason in his last 8 playoff games. You know my stance on talking about reporters - but Felger is taking it to another level that even I don't have the tolerance for.

This was the column I wrote on that topic in case anyone missed it:

Brady No Longer Great in The Playoffs?

You know when he was beating that drum yesterday it was just as bad. My problem is not that he is making the accusations... it's an opinion orientated show, and he of coarse is entitled to his.

What REALLY ticks me off is the way he tries to bash Brady underhandedly.

For instance, yesterday he used Favre as the main punching bag and kept slipping the Brady stuff in throughout.

Today he used Clemmens to do it.

He uses the old... "Im not saying...Im just saying."

Last edited:
Brady 2000 was a skinny kid. It is NOT unusual to have a workaholic player who assiduously follows a NFL workout regimin 'pump himself up' as someone usta say.

This. Brady has never gotten that big. Only someone who has never been an athlete could think that the size increase Brady brought about could only be done with steroids.

Its why he's pissed in training camp when something goes poorly.

Roid rage. Knew it all along.

Without debating the merits of Felger's claim to any real degree, he noted the "prime" steroid years in the mid-late 90's, which does make sense when you look at players like McGwire. Gwynn, for example, hit double digit homer runs only 5 times in his 20 year career, and 3 of them came from 1997-1999, when he was 37,38 and 39. The year prior, in 1996, Gwynn had hit just 3 home runs in 116 games. It could be coincidence, but it does line up.

Griffey had similar success during that time (4 highest season HR totals from 1996-1999), but it was also his career prime (26-29), so it's a bit more of a stretch to argue that one without more evidence, IMO.

But the prime steroid years weren't 1996-1999, is the thing. They were a fixture in the game throughout the 2000s, and far prior to 1996. I can maybe accept 1996 as the beginning of the prime years, but even then I don't see how anyone could or would claim that 2000-2009 was a less steroid-fueled span than 1996-1999.

I agree with you for the most part, though: reasonable point, unreasonable and reckless method of sensationalizing it.

Last edited:

So how are you doing?

Good Point. Then again we're not exactly coming up with a new way to split the atom here on the messageboard.

My suspicion is that Felger's hair is on steroids.

See sig below--

On 98.5 right now. Anyone else listening to this?

ETA: he's using the fact that Brady's number was on Greg Andersons phone as the basis for his skepticism.

Yeah I lost my **** when I heard that. I also work in the 3rd floor of a bank and convinced a lot of people I had made some epic mistake, but I digress.

The NFL has this **** locked down tight. Nobody uses performance enhancing drugs without getting caught somewhere down the line. Felger is an ass and 98.5 is a garbage radio station.

Solution - email the station and say you won't be listening to them until Felger is gone.

is it because of the hercules hair?

Emailed the GM, PM, assistant PM, and Felger. Got this bounceback: This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. [email protected]

Either his email is getting hammered or the stations website is horribly out of date. Since the douche lives for the hate, I am guessing it's option one.

Why the hell are you people giving this so much attention? ITS FELGER! Need I say more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes