PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger on Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A KFFL summation of his Sunday article. Nothing new but the sense remains that things are not progressing. If Felger is right I guess we will have some confirmation in two weeks when the veteran mini camp opens.

Patriots | Branch negotiations have not progressed
Sun, 28 May 2006 07:23:34 -0700

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports there is nothing new concerning the negotiations between the New England Patriots and Patriots' WR Deion Branch regarding a contract extension. The team's mandatory camp this year comes June 12-14, and there is curiosity in Patriot circles over whether Branch will skip it or not. Branch, who has one year to run on his rookie deal, said last month that "my job is to finish my (current) contract." His agent, Jason Chayut, refused comment last week. There's no doubt Branch wants to be paid like a true No. 1 receiver. Branch will admit he can be neutralized by double-teams. At 5-foot-9, 190 pounds, Branch isn't one of those receivers who a quarterback can just throw the ball to in a pile. Players such as WRs Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Chad Johnson have proven they can beat any coverage anywhere on the field. Those are true No. 1s. Most observers agree that Branch, who has never been to a Pro Bowl, is a "second-tier No. 1." According to one source, Branch has told friends he's looking for bonus/guaranteed money in the range of $12 million, while the Patriots are telling Chayut they aren't responsible for how other teams pay for their players.

yeah i dont think we should pay Branch as much as teams play guys like Chad Johnson, Tory Holt, Steve Smith. Randy Moss or any top #1s. Hes a #1 but he doesnt impact like other guys can. He still should get paid well but not as much as the top guys

Remix 6 said:
yeah i dont think we should pay Branch as much as teams play guys like Chad Johnson, Tory Holt, Steve Smith. Randy Moss or any top #1s. Hes a #1 but he doesnt impact like other guys can. He still should get paid well but not as much as the top guys

Well, we also have to remember that Branch could be like Steve Smith and those other guys, but until he plays with another team we will never know. Branchs camp can argue the fact that the Pats system keeps his numbers down and that he would have higher output if he played in a different system. I for one think Branch is very undervalued in the N.F.L. I respect the fact that there hasnt been one problem with the guy since he was drafted by this team and he has never *****ed about never getting the ball enough, and has been a great team player. Hopefully, he just won't overvalue his own worth to this team. It would be great to see Jackson come into his own with Branch on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Branch has been a good Patriot --- great attitude. I hope that doesn't change now! I think he's been injured too often to command top dollar.

holyredeemer said:
Well, we also have to remember that Branch could be like Steve Smith and those other guys, but until he plays with another team we will never know. Branchs camp can argue the fact that the Pats system keeps his numbers down and that he would have higher output if he played in a different system. I for one think Branch is very undervalued in the N.F.L. I respect the fact that there hasnt been one problem with the guy since he was drafted by this team and he has never *****ed about never getting the ball enough, and has been a great team player. Hopefully, he just won't overvalue his own worth to this team. It would be great to see Jackson come into his own with Branch on the other side.

The thought of Branch / Jackson / Caldwell / Brown / Bethel (or a surprise rookie) looks pretty good to me.
Deion has been a model Patriot - I really hope the Pats find a way to get this deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down