PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger on Asante Samuel

If the Ty Law situation showed anything, it was that the Patriots won't be forced into doing anything.

Even the Branch situation, which didn't go the way they wanted to, was controlled by them as they decided when to allow him to seek offers and they decided which offers to ignore or accept.

This is why we win in these negotiations.

To play hard ball, one has to be prepared to accept either outcome.

With a good, tall DB in the fold and 2 firsts the Pats can keep, extend or trade Samuel.

What are his options?

Plus, he plays a year, and then can get a Clements-type deal with another $15-20 mil when he signs that.

He wants Nate Clements money. Fine. But remember, last year Nate Clements was tagged. He played for a year under the franchise tag and got last year's millions and more this year.

Well put. Player put a lot of hardwork to build on god-given talent...but if every player felt this way after 1 great year preceded by a few decent years - then there wouldn't be a league. Asante is a great corner, but he needs one or 2 years added to his body of work to command Clements money. Take the franchise money and be appreciative we live in a country where athletes and movie stars get paid like the cornerstones of society.

Well put. Player put a lot of hardwork to build on god-given talent...but if every player felt this way after 1 great year preceded by a few decent years - then there wouldn't be a league. Asante is a great corner, but he needs one or 2 years added to his body of work to command Clements money. Take the franchise money and be appreciative we live in a country where athletes and movie stars get paid like the cornerstones of society.
ANother one on the money...so to speak...

Can the Pats withdraw the franchise tag at any time?

Yes.
If so, and if Asante held out, the Pats could forego the 6weeks + playoffs and cut him before week 10. He'd be a free agent but teams would not have the $$$ at that time, so he'd be stiffed. A possible risk for holding out.

Given that there was a total of 286 million of cap space last Wednesday, I think that there is very little risk of all of the other 31 teams not having the cap space. Plus, Samuel could sign a deal that has a large bonus in February, 2008.

If he was going to sit out, would he sign the one-year franchise contract?

No.

If he doesn't sign, no cap hit, right?
If he does not sign the tender by Tuesday following the 10th week of the season, he can not play at all during the 2007 season.

With a good, tall DB in the fold and 2 firsts the Pats can keep, extend or trade Samuel.

The Pats always have had smaller DBs. Most of those guys give up 4-5 inches to the taller wide receivers. Always seems to work out ok though.

Yes.

Given that there was a total of 286 million of cap space last Wednesday, I think that there is very little risk of all of the other 31 teams not having the cap space. Plus, Samuel could sign a deal that has a large bonus in February, 2008.

Right, but the point is, how many teams would be willing to shell out money for THIS year. What if he gets hurt before receiving the February roster bonus?? Seems to me he could lose a big chunk of money for THIS year and be no better off for it, if the patriots decide to cut him before he sees a dime. He'll earn something, but i seriously doubt it will be as much as the pro-rated franchise amount. I suspect the few teams willing to pay him $8 million per will not have $4 million of extra cap space lying around in November.

Can the Pats withdraw the franchise tag at any time? If so, and if Asante held out, the Pats could forego the 6weeks + playoffs and cut him before week 10. He'd be a free agent but teams would not have the $$$ at that time, so he'd be stiffed.
No, if he were a free agent teams would make room to sign him. They don't need cap dollars right then. All they have to do is give him a roster bonus of $15 mil scheduled for march 2008, with a clause saying if he doesn't gets cut before then, he will have a separate bonus of $15 mil guaranteed. That way Samuel is guaranteed to get one bonus or the other with 2008 money.

That's a crude example. I'm sure any team's capologist could find a smoother way of guaranteeing him money in 2008 on without costing any 2007 money.

Besides, why would the Pats do this? It would get them nothing. I doubt they act out of spite. They are a business.

Plus, they would be stuck with $5 mil of cap space if they cut him week 10.

Right, but the point is, how many teams would be willing to shell out money for THIS year.

Samuel just needs one. IMO, there will be several teams with a lot of cap space in November. Last December 6 teams had enough cap room to do the phony LTBE move for over 4 million.

What if he gets hurt before receiving the February roster bonus??

I did not say roster bonus. A team could guarantee the 2008 bonus, explicitly the way Adalius's 2008 $8 million signing bonus is or implicitly by guaranteeing future salaries if the bonus is paid.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back