PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger just made a good point

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
eventually your going to have to pay for someone and sometimes you need to let the player get the better of the negotiations.

also said he would love a trade for Ray Lewis

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
eventually your going to have to pay for someone and sometimes you need to let the player get the better of the negotiations.

He said that the Patriots most likely wanted to give Willie about $2M per season, and when Cleveland went $4M per for a 34 year old, the Pats said basically "not gonna do it".

What the Pats should have done was negotiate a deal with him earlier and he would have stayed. Or, most likely would have. No guarantees. I think they might have been hoping he'd get no big offers, and then Clev. overpaid and it was over.

Ah ... but is Felger a Patriots fan?

This whole thing reminds me of Andruzzi last year, he and McGinnest are worth more to the Browns then they are to the Patriots. Romeo needs a few of these guys with great work ethics to help infuse a winning attitude in Cleveland. As much as I like #55, a 12 million contract is not very good value for the Patriots to invest on him.

R_T26 said:

Felger started his question,"Correct me if I'm wrong," BB quickly interjected, "I can't wait--"

Last edited:

Isn't that an oxymoron ?

Just KIDDING !

arrellbee said:

Isn't that an oxymoron ?

Just KIDDING !

More than likely, it wasn't his own!! :rolleyes:

If the Pats sign Ray Lewis, it will take a long time to get that vomit taste out of my mouth.

Has-been, bad attitude, involved at least periphally in a murder, can't play in a 3-4...

Ray Ray wants a new contract and that would include a huge signing bonus. Don't see it happening.

dryheat44 said:
If the Pats sign Ray Lewis, it will take a long time to get that vomit taste out of my mouth.

Has-been, bad attitude, involved at least periphally in a murder, can't play in a 3-4...

Cant play in a 3-4? What are you talking about? What defense do you think the Ravens ran for the last 3-4 years?

MrTibbs said:
Cant play in a 3-4? What are you talking about? What defense do you think the Ravens ran for the last 3-4 years?

Ray Lewis on the 3-4 defense:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/raiders/football-101-3-4-defense.html

"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me"

The Pats weren't willing to pay Willie, an aging but still productive LB a 7 figure retirment present signing bonus even though he is a perfect fit for their system, has been a cornerstone of their franchise for over a decade, and was a huge part of 3 SB teams here.

Why would they sign up to be the one who gives Ray Lewis a big wet 8 figure good bye kiss? Lewis is an aging LB whose production is in severe decline and is a terrible fit for their system.

The Pats don't get misty eyed with their own great players when they start to get old and decline. Not a chance they do it with Ray Lewis who was once the best (maybe ever) but is no longer anywhere close to a great LB.

Last edited:
Yeah 46 last season but the 2-3 seasons before they were a 3-4 team. Coach Nolan who coaches the 49ERS was the DC there. He runs the 3-4 in San Fran and ran it Baltimore before he got the HC position there.

In those seasons he had 161 tackles and 6 picks 1.5 sacks then posted 146 tackles 1 sack no picks. No disrespect to Teddy Bruschi but he can only dream of numbers like that. If you consider that not being able to play in a 3-4 defense then I don't know what the heck is.

Last edited:
MrTibbs said:
Yeah 46 last season but the 2-3 seasons before they were a 3-4 team. Coach Nolan who coaches the 49ERS was the DC there. He runs the 3-4 in San Fran and ran it Baltimore before he got the HC position there.

In those seasons he had 161 tackles and 6 picks 1.5 sacks then posted 146 tackles 1 sack no picks. No disrespect to Teddy Bruschi but he can only dream of numbers like that. If you consider that not being able to play in a 3-4 defense then I don't know what the heck is.

And if you actually watched him play, he got his ass kicked on every running play that the offense got a blocker on him. Guards, fullbacks, tight ends all neutralized him. Quoting those tackle stats mean nothing, because it is common knowledge that hometown scorers in Baltimore and Chicago give Lewis and Urlacher credit for a tackle when they jump on a pile.

I can't say this strongly enough, Lewis absolutely SUCKS in the 3-4 in the present. He can't get off a block to save his life, Kevin Faulk blocks him on the blitz 9 times out of 10, His coverage skills, while once above-average, are poor now. Bruschi is the much better player in the Patriot defense.

dryheat44 - thanks for interesting and informative insights !!

dryheat44 said:
And if you actually watched him play, he got his ass kicked on every running play that the offense got a blocker on him. Guards, fullbacks, tight ends all neutralized him. Quoting those tackle stats mean nothing, because it is common knowledge that hometown scorers in Baltimore and Chicago give Lewis and Urlacher credit for a tackle when they jump on a pile.

I can't say this strongly enough, Lewis absolutely SUCKS in the 3-4 in the present. He can't get off a block to save his life, Kevin Faulk blocks him on the blitz 9 times out of 10, His coverage skills, while once above-average, are poor now. Bruschi is the much better player in the Patriot defense.

Ummmm OK

What heat said.

dryheat44 said:

Not to mention that Lewis was thrilled last year that they were going back to more of the 4-3. He was quoted as saying how much he didn't like playing the 3-4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back